CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

My snake NEVER........

Old 11-24-2002, 07:00 AM   #1
Unregister
Exclamation My snake NEVER........

....comes out of his hide, even at night, when most snakes do!
i have temp at the usual temp and he is one year old.
any comments???

thanx

Old 11-24-2002, 10:18 AM   #2
whiffin
Perhaps you just have a secrative snake.

Have you never seen him out, or is it just very rare? He must come out at some point to drink!

Is your temp gradient OK? - if he was cold, and the hide was on the warm side, he may want to stayy there.

Just a thought ...

Old 11-24-2002, 07:44 PM   #3
Probe7899
hiding

My snake is the same way I am not sure if it is because he is still young. Hes like two months old and I ave had him for a month now. Hes always under his hides or under the substrate but I dotake him out to hold him some people say not to because it might get stressed but he always hiding otherwise but when I pick him up he has no problem he crawls round my hand around my finger licking the air and my skin.

Old 11-24-2002, 08:53 PM   #4
bmm
well

Unless you never sleep, you can't say never. And I almost gaurentee he is out when you are asleep. They know when someone is in the room, they know when someone is near.

Some are too shy and some are not. Snakes natural instinct is to hide all the time. If it was up to them they would eat, sleep and drink without ever being seen.

bmm

Old 11-25-2002, 10:34 AM   #5
Rainey
You'll find that snakes have different personalities. I didn't belive it until I got my second corn and realized how different they were (and not just in color). One is very curious and loves to explore. The other one loves to be secretive.

I wouldn't worry about it at all!

Old 11-25-2002, 10:49 AM   #6
Unregister
Wink ...

well............he used to come out when he was young (months old)
but now hes 1 years old ( and 2 months) hes never seenAT anytime when we are around...

Yes i agree he MUST come out at night when we are asleep.!

but dont other people see there snake even when they aint asleep, like in the afternoon!?? 9:00pm>?

Old 11-25-2002, 02:42 PM   #7
Kaz
I have eight cornsnakes, and I very rarely see any of them moving about. One snake seems to stay in the same spot every time I look in his viv, but now and again I 'catch' him out. All my snakes are in a room just off of my kitchen, and I can glance in the doorway with the light out and catch them having a little stretch, but if your corns are in the same room as you live then more than likely your snake will hide until everyone has gone to bed.

If you really want to see your snake excercising firstly find a torch, then switch all the lights off, close all doors, and turn all tv's off and just sit. The snake thinks 'goody, they've gone to bed, time for fun', and they should come out, but this could take a while so be patient. After a while switch the torch on and have a peek, that is if you dont fall asleep first, hence its morning and you have missed your snake roming about because the lights are back on!

Good luck!

Old 11-25-2002, 04:00 PM   #8
Unregister
ha ha ha, ill try that....but its MORE than likely i will fall asleep before he comes out@!!!

Thanx everyone......xxxxx

Old 12-10-2002, 01:35 AM   #9
cusoon
Unhappy hiding!!!

My baby corn does the same, the first 10 days I had him he always come out to see who is in the room during the day time, so it is real fun.
But now he is always hiding. I had him now for a month and 1 week. The feeding and shading goes all right but I never saw him out and about. He is still living in this small tank which I will place it open next to me whenever I watch tv at night and somtimes he stick his head out and take a look. I always have to dig him out inorder to handel him. I handel him everynight for 30 min. He likes it but still go on hiding all the time. I have order a huge terrarium 120cm x40cm x80cm for him for christmas but then I wonder it will be even hard to find where he will be hiding then. What should I do?
Some of your mrmber suggest that they could only sees their snake if they sit in the dark waiting!?! What in God's name is the fun then , I wonder!?!

Old 12-10-2002, 07:23 AM   #10
bmm
snakes

Don't want to be seen. Naturally they are predators, but also a prey item for a ton of other animals. So they must hide to survive. Likving in captivity doesn't change this and you can't change it either. Also snakes are out most often in the night, dusk and right at dawn. So the watching in the dark is not just "no fun" its what you have to do to see the snake displaying his natural behaviour.

But as your snake gets older and older he should come out more and more. My adult corns come out and relax outside their hide spots quite often even in the daylight. The younger corns are more shy and scared, again a survival tactic. Just give him time to adjust to you, get some size on him, and soon he will feel more confident coming out daytiume and at least at night.

bmm

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google