CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

To moss box or not?

Old 04-14-2018, 04:55 AM   #1
Briancs
To moss box or not?

Hi

Brian has started to show signs of getting ready for his first shed since he came to us. He has access to two water bowls, a full size one in which he could soak if he wants and a little one at the other end of his viv. Should I also introduce a moss box, or should the bowls be sufficient? The viv has four vents on it and the warm end is 30 degrees in the day time and 27 at night.

Many thanks

Old 04-14-2018, 05:19 AM   #2
Patmart
Hi I’ve got a snake caves my 2 love it I call it there steam room
They go in when they are not due to shed
It dose help with shedding
Pat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-14-2018, 05:22 AM   #3
Briancs
Thanks, Pat!

Old 04-14-2018, 05:26 AM   #4
Patmart
I got mine from amazon don’t go for new there is great price for used I think I paid £6 for my second one silly me paid full the the first on I think is was £13
Pat

Old 04-14-2018, 11:06 AM   #5
Dragonling
Personally I would avoid purchasing any used pet products, especially from unknown sellers.

Old 04-14-2018, 02:40 PM   #6
Patmart
I agree but I did disinfect them before
I put them in
Pat

Old 04-14-2018, 03:08 PM   #7
Briancs
All suggestions gratefully received, thanks.

Old 04-14-2018, 05:52 PM   #8
Twolunger
A corn will use a large water bowl to help prepare for a shed. Mine use the water bowl both before and right after a shed. If you prefer to use a moist hide with sphagnum moss they will use that too. However, bacteria is found on everything, especially in a confined area such as in a vivarium. I swap out their water bowls for disinfected water bowls frequently, especially during the shed period. I would dispose of the used sphagnum after the shed.

Old 04-16-2018, 02:58 AM   #9
Briancs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
A corn will use a large water bowl to help prepare for a shed. Mine use the water bowl both before and right after a shed. If you prefer to use a moist hide with sphagnum moss they will use that too. However, bacteria is found on everything, especially in a confined area such as in a vivarium. I swap out their water bowls for disinfected water bowls frequently, especially during the shed period. I would dispose of the used sphagnum after the shed.

All useful, thanks very much. I may give him both this time and see if he has a preference.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:42 PM   #10
Briancs
Tried both - he LURVES the moss box!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google