CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

HELP aggressive behaviour in the middle of mating

Old 06-05-2020, 02:01 AM   #1
Bthuynh
HELP aggressive behaviour in the middle of mating

Hey guys! I have two 10 yr old male and female corn snakes. And I decided to breed them for the first time (my male hasn’t eaten in 3 months and has been getting more and more active each year during mating season so I thought it was time to try!) and my female suddenly stopped eating for about a month and this is the first time in 10 years... I am a little concerned about if she’s preparing to lay slug eggs? Her midsection is quite bloated, but since she hasn’t eaten in a month she is a little skinnier around the rest of her body.

** The Breeding Moment

Immediately when I introduced the two for the first time my male began to follow the females body and align. And they were intertwining and presenting jerking motions. This went on for 30 mins but there was no attaching happening. Then all of a sudden my male began to frantically scurry around the tank like crazy!! And was flailing around when I took him out! They were both startled and frantically moving around even an hour after this took place.

Now that they’re back in their own tanks my male is still moving around, and my female is hiding. But I’m just so confused about how the situation changed so suddenly? My two theories are this:

-My female might actually be a male. But wouldn’t they have fought right from the start?

-My male sensed my female has dud eggs and didn’t want to fertilize her. It is later in the mating season (their last shed was 2 weeks ago) so maybe we missed the window?

Either way, I would just like to know if anyone has experienced this behaviour when trying to breed! I’ve attached photos of them lining up and seemingly about to mate.

Thanks!

Old 06-05-2020, 03:07 PM   #2
Shiari
Most likely answer is you have two males. I would be very concerned about the bloated look and skinniness of the second snake and have it be seen by a vet.

Old 06-08-2020, 02:41 PM   #3
GitaBooks
I haven't seen the frantic behavior necessarily, though my female is quite active during the breeding season (she paces a lot when the pair are first introduced, going in circles around the cage and mostly ignoring the male). However, I can say that it takes our male a really long time to figure things out. I have actually never seen our snakes successfully breed, but we have gotten fertile eggs so it must have happened at some point.

Old 06-19-2020, 02:21 AM   #4
Bthuynh
Quote:
Originally Posted by GitaBooks View Post
I haven't seen the frantic behavior necessarily, though my female is quite active during the breeding season (she paces a lot when the pair are first introduced, going in circles around the cage and mostly ignoring the male). However, I can say that it takes our male a really long time to figure things out. I have actually never seen our snakes successfully breed, but we have gotten fertile eggs so it must have happened at some point.
Initially my “female” was showing that same behavior and ignoring my male. And my male was trying to line up with my “females” body. And the frantic behavior happened so long after they first tried to mate that I was confused whether they could be two males instead or not? My male literally pushed the lid of the enclosure up and I had to chase after him! So could that be a definite sign that they are both males?

Old 06-19-2020, 11:03 AM   #5
hypnoctopus
It could be. If you have an exotics vet, a reptile specialty store, or maybe even a local breeder near you, you could have your snake probed for confirmation.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
aggressive, breeding