CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Not eating and not coming out hunting

Old 04-07-2018, 07:42 PM   #1
Zaltys
Not eating and not coming out hunting

Hi, I have an 8 month old Corn Snake named Quetzalcoatl. I got him back in Feb and he is being fed on large pinkies. I successfully fed him when I got him after he settled in, and then fed him again about a week later I believe. Then 5 days after that, I fed him and I believe we had a regurge. (Im 98% positive it was a regurge but there is a slight possibility the mouse rolled under a log when he tried to eat it and started to decay, but I dont think so since it looked like a lump in the shape of his body when I found it 2 days later) ANYWAY- I didnt feed him for another 10 days to give his gut a rest and then successfully fed him with NO regurge (yay!) So last wednesday would have been the 7th day from his last feed and so I fed him on THURSDAY right before we went to bed so it was nighttime and nice and quiet. Came down on Friday morning and he didnt touch his pinkie (I leave them on a paper towel near his hide entrance) Ive not had this happen before, although he was not cruising around the tank looking for food either. I usually feed my snakes when they go "hunting" but this little guy seems so small that I try to feed him to fatten him up a bit! So Friday I left him alone and did not try to feed him. Today (Saturday) I tried again, and he refused. He was out in his log and I wafted the pinkie right by his nose so he could smell it and see it was there. I wiggled it around and made it seem alive, and then left it on the paper towel for him and left the house with my dogs for a good hour. Came back, STILL THERE. He went back into his proper rock hide, so I placed the mouse right near the entrance and left AGAIN. Came home 1-1/2 hours later and pinkie is still there. He's just not interested! Usually corns are pretty greedy, but he just doesnt want it. I feel like he only wants feeding at 12-14 days which is crazy. By day 10 he usually is out hunting in the evening but now its 11 days and he just hides all day and night without coming out. He's always been pretty shy, but I DO usually see him cruising at night until this week. Any ideas what is going on? Am I being an overly-worried mother? Some facts below:
---------------------------
Pinkies are thawed and them placed in hot water for a minute or 2 to get warm.

He has 3 hides. One hot (81--84F side) One warm (74F) and one cool (63F) He has TONNES of logs rocks a huge water bowl with pebbles on the outside. Lots of cover for him to hide and not feel exposed.

His eyes have not gone cloudy as if he is going to shed. His coat looks the same from what I can tell, but I hardly ever see him.

Not sure if he pooped his last pinkie.... I cant find it but I havent totally emptied the tank either because I dont want to stress him out. I will do this though if you guys say I need to check. So far though, no poop. Deffo no regurge, I know that! I checked his proper hide and no shed, poop or regurge in there

Temperatures in tank are bang-on. I have 2 different digital thermometers with 2 different heated pads AND an infrared temp gun to make sure! He stays in his warm (81--84F) hide like 99% of the time.

Let me know if you need more info!!! Not sure if I should try to feed him again tomorrow? Or just wait till he gets hungry enough and comes out hunting. I feel like this little guy is never gonna grow He's about 18" long and the width of my pinkie finger.

Thanks for any advice

Old 04-08-2018, 09:31 AM   #2
Corning
Sounds like he’s going to shed. Some snakes don’t eat when they are going to shed. Even though he’s small he can go a couple months without eating don’t worry about a skipped meal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-08-2018, 10:39 AM   #3
Zaltys
thanks! Yeah I hope its just he is going to shed. He hasnt shed since I got him so maybe he is due. His eyes have not gone cloudy though, so Im not sure. Im not too worried about him dying from not eating since I know he can go quite awhile without food, its just the behaviour is quite different than he was before. And different from other corns Ive had where they readily want to eat. Im just hoping nothing more serious is going on that I should be aware of. If he does shed I will write about it so we know. Thanks for the advice

Old 04-09-2018, 09:07 AM   #4
Zaltys
So this morning I awoke to a wonderful snake skin. He Shed!!!! YAY! Crisis over. I must have missed his cloudy blue eyed stage. Im going to see if he will eat tonight.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
snake wont eat