CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Corn Snake Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Corn Snake Photo Gallery Show them off! Post photos of your prizes and your favorities for everyone else to see and comment on.

Loopy's Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 10:26 AM   #201
kdickens
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Probably was a mating season thing ... my little horny toad Loopy! And I know where you're coming from about how it hurts to give up a perfectly edible mouse! Before ordering this batch of 'Reg size' mice I still had maybe 14 of the almost adult mice left that I had to pitch. I wasn't sure if maybe they were too old in the freezer or not. Also, I needed the larger size anyway. And you would all agree, you'd gladly give up a few mice if it would lead to your snake eating again! Also ... I did something a little different. Instead of thawing out mouse in warm water like normal, this time I thawed over night in fridge (wrapped in a paper towel in a sandwich bag) then the next morning let it warm to room temp. Just before feeding warmed it a little more in warm water. Don't know if this helped or not, but he ate it!

Old 04-17-2018, 10:32 AM   #202
DollysMom
A little off topic, but I keep a Sharpie handy and date my mice bags. Also, if you want, get yourself a Foodsaver or other vacuum sealer. The prey lasts longer and you don't get any freezer burn. I always thaw mine in warm water and rinse them well before feeding, but as long as your snake eats, there is no wrong way to do it. Whatever works is my motto, Ken.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:44 PM   #203
kdickens
Gail -- Not off topic a bit ... Just ordered a food sealer. When I get it I think I'll divide up new mouse shipment into 4 bags. That will help a bit. This company, although good, did not vacuum seal bags like the last company I used. So your idea should fix that! Thanks for suggesting the obvious!

Old 04-17-2018, 01:06 PM   #204
DollysMom
Congrats, Ken. I hope it works as well for you as it has for me. At least with my bags, I can reseal them. I occasionally have to get a fresh bag, but depending on the slack in the bag, I can reuse many until they are empty.

Old 04-17-2018, 03:13 PM   #205
DLena
I do the seal-a-bag at Your suggestion, too. It saves me from wasting rodents, especially pinkies because they freezer burn so fast. I replace the bags when they stop holding a seal.

Old 04-28-2018, 01:12 AM   #206
kdickens
Loopy shed a couple days ago so we celebrated with a short 'outside for some fresh air' walk! And since he was out of his viv for a bit I re-arranged things some. I had just got that very day a new hide for him, the Exo Terra Cave, extra large. This thing will work great. He has room to make comfortable loop for after eating hanging out. He was a bit scrunched in his cork hide, which I left inside but on the other end of his viv. As you can see, he took to it right away!

Old 05-08-2018, 05:28 PM   #207
kdickens
A True Nightmare!

Well I didn't really know where to post this so I figured here is as good as anywhere! Probably no one has experienced this. I went out to the garage fridge to get a mouse out of the freezer for Loopy. I had just recently got a new shipment of mice delivered. (100 adult mice) When I got to the fridge I looked down at the floor and all the bags of mice were lying on the floor, fully thawed out! I had divided them up in bags of 10 and vacuum sealed them. Imagine seeing that! My wife had re-arranged the freezer and forgot to put the mice back in. (How can you miss 98 mice on the floor?) Anyway, went to Petco and bought one frozen mouse for Loopy's dinner and re-ordered another supply (50 this time) Haven't got them yet, another couple days. I also ordered a small 1.1 cu foot freezer for only mice. No one will ever need to open that freezer for anything! Gads! What a nightmare!

Old 05-08-2018, 05:30 PM   #208
Karl_Mcknight
Just turn Loopy loose in the garage. He will think he's in Heaven.

Old 05-08-2018, 05:34 PM   #209
kdickens
Karl ... almost had to have a Hazmat team come in!

Old 05-08-2018, 05:36 PM   #210
Karl_Mcknight
Ewwwwww

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google