• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Is my corn snake blind

mrcheesy

Quick question guys i rescued this snake today and was wondering is this snake blind as tried to rub it earlier after leaving in warmish water and tried rubbing it to see if it was a bad shed any ideasJPEG_20170215_195332_.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Are both eyes that way?

Stop rubbing it. You could cause more damage.
It appears to be a cataract. Older snakes are likely develop them.
A pic of both eyes that isn't so close would help.
:)

The other eyes fine just that one and only rubbed it once never tried again

Then is is most likely a cataract. I have a corn with a cataract and he is doing just fine :)
Thank you for rescuing him/her !!!!

I have a corn snake with cataracts in both eyes though I think she can still see some out of the better eye. She's an absolute joy. I adopted her from a rescue. Like Daddio said they do just fine with no or with limited sight.

Welcome to the forum, Mrcheesy. When you have more time I hope you come back and tell us more about this rescue. Looks like a nice snake, and from what I can see of the face, it looks like an older snake. My girl is somewhere in the 13 to 15-year-old age range and has "wrinkles" on her face like this one has.

I think the rescued babies are the best!! I rescued my Otis from some absolutely disgusting conditions and I swear he loves me even more because of it[emoji6] I'm so glad you rescued your new baby especially with the cataract cause a lot of people won't rescue a so called "defective" animal!! I guarantee you'll love every minute with him/her!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shes in a state will take a few sheds the get her better but thank you for everyones reply and help :)

Please keep in touch and update us! She looks beautiful from what I can see in the picture. Rest assured that in captivity where the food appears in front of her nose periodically, any vision impairment will not impact her having a good life and a great relationship with you.

Mine knows her way around her enclosure and has regular supervised outings where she gets to crawl around my living room. She has no trouble navigating at all. If I couldn't see the cataracts with my own eyes I'd have no idea she had vision impairment!

The snake with the cataract is also gravid :) so takinh even extra care of her now :)

I just hope she can lay her eggs easy as she also has a kinked spine :,(

She was already gravid she should lay in next 2 days so keep u guys updated

Story goes that my Mandy (my girl with cataracts) came to the rescue gravid and laid shortly thereafter. She doesn't have a kink though. My girl was in the rescue for nearly 1.5 years before I got her so I never dealt with it, but even knowing that she went through that, well I hope you don't feel alone in it. I think this is not too rare with rescued females. I hope it all goes smoothly for her.

After talking about her so much, here's my girl chowing down last night. It's a little hard to see the cataract in this pic due to the lighting, but it's there.
IzTsFFvh.jpg

Shes a beuty how old is she then ? And did her eggs successfully hatch ? Wouldnt want them to die 😕

I've never had the heart to ask, but I'm pretty sure her eggs were not allowed to develop. That would have been a responsible thing to do on the part of the rescue.

I was told Mandy was supposed to 12-ish when she came to the rescue. I just used that number because when I got her I didn't know she had been there for so long. I designated June 14 for her birthday and call her 13 now. No one knows for sure.

Here's a copy of her ad on PetFinder. Obviously she was in shed in the picture. I did ask when I picked her up from the rescue, if she laid every year. They said she arrived at the rescue with male and had not laid again.

djHdeAul.jpg

One thing they got wrong in the ad is that she handles beautifully. As you can tell, I gave her a more feminine name that seems to fit her personality better. I'm sure that with time and good care she learned to trust and be handled. I wanted her because she needed a quiet home with time to devote to her. I could also give her a spacious enclosure all to herself. They were thrilled when I asked to adopt her and I was thrilled when they said yes!

Back