• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Don Soderberg's Palmetto

Don will be shipping one to me for collection at Hamm on 8th September. I'm thinking of setting up a booth and charging $1 a look before shipping it back to the UK.

I was thrilled to see and photograph the one that was at Daytona. VERY cool in the flesh- just as amazing as I knew it would be!!

:laugh: I wonder what I would have had to pay to hold one for an hour and a half in Daytona! Congrats, I hope you like them as much as I do. And I'm hoping that maybe, just maybe, a pattern mutation can change these in ways we never imagined. If it does turn out to be a morph that masks everything else, I'll still be happy with my purchase, though.

I was reading this tread, and maybe i can give my two cents.
In 2001 i discovert a new gene in The Netherland, and here in the Dutch forums there was nobody who could or was willing to help me.( For the dutch people look further then your ...., its not always the bigger breeders who find something new , it can happen everywhere, only the chanche is bigger when you are a bigger breeder, and they have teh possibility to catch something from the wild whe don't)
So i got here on this forum , and i belief there is no gene more discussed than what i had, i was a fool a donkey ect ect.It was first a hybrid, than it was a caramel, then a amber ,then a het marker, than it was a selective breeding,than i couldn't because iám a small breeder.
I give them evidence from 9 years breeding into different lines, and still its not enough for some people and i belief that's a society into this forum , that is making a sport off it to have negative comment on all they read.
In 2010 i belief there came a gene from germany about 100 km from me, and its look like mine its act like mine , and then the people are saying " wow, iám exited ect ect "
People are people and whe can't change them its not only here, its everywhere on this pice of earth the same. People have , and i belief that is in our genes, jealousy,disbelief,i know better,envy............
And belief me here on this site off the ocean, it brings nothing one your bankaccount, its pure hobby.But i am as i am and wanted to keep this gene in live for the future just for the community.
I have several thoughts to stop, but i like the hobby to mutch i belief, so i decided to do my thing, and produce new things on a small scale.
I don't discus it anymore, i just give info for the people who are interested in it, and maybe sometimes i will post a picture about the stuff.
I have to stop now got clients.

Greetings

Jan

I would love to see the mutation that popped up in your collection, Jan. Sorry to hear about the frustration you had with the public from it.

I think your gene, Buf, is now recognized as legitimate and accepted.

I think part of the problem was the name you chose, "Buf," which lent itself to ridicule because of the odd spelling and the word itself.

People everywhere are skeptical of new genes. I'm sure Don has fielded plenty of questions regarding Palmetto. But shouldn't they be? Any show you go to there are piles of corns with trade names that breeders have just picked out of thin air to describe some barely-different linebred look they have created.

I think your gene, Buf, is now recognized as legitimate and accepted.

I think part of the problem was the name you chose, "Buf," which lent itself to ridicule because of the odd spelling and the word itself.

People everywhere are skeptical of new genes. I'm sure Don has fielded plenty of questions regarding Palmetto. But shouldn't they be? Any show you go to there are piles of corns with trade names that breeders have just picked out of thin air to describe some barely-different linebred look they have created.

Yes Buf thats correct but first names where cinnamon and lutino and that was not good, becouse of the name cinnamon existed in rat snakes, so i disided for buf a yellow-brown colour, and orange we dutch are a orange country.Im more for the tecnical names a phantom is a hypo charcoal, so as a orange is a buf-amel, and i have it in hypo for me its a hypo buf, i can call it bypo or walnut and in Lavender ??? in Anery ???? ect ect.So if the name is good it will sell , thats not me sorry
For me it is importend what it does whats in it, and how its look.
To be skeptical is not wrong, but in a good sense.

Greeting jan

Well, it's too bad it took years for people to get done laughing about the name, but I think that is now over, for the most part. People who take the time to read all the info on your webpage get a good understanding of what buf is.

Jan, just because some people have a problem with it (or did at one point or another), doesn't mean everyone. Also, I can't speak for everyone, but I do believe there is appreciation for all the work that you have done with the gene. Congrats on everything we have found out about it up to this point!

Jarrett

Heck, I can't remember a relatively recent mutation that HASN'T been called a hybrid. And some are ONLY considered as hybrids by some people based on hearsay evidence offered from proven questionable sources.

People will believe what they want to believe based on the flimsiest amount of actual data. When hearing two stories whereby they both cannot be true, people will CHOOSE which one they THINK is the truth, based on nothing actually substantial or containing any provable facts. What it normally all boils down to is simply opinion, since there will rarely be indisputable PROOF of any such claims made.

Such is the nature of the beast, I suppose....

Push come to shove, are you happy with what you are doing and satisfied with your own beliefs? Then that is all that should matter to you. There will ALWAYS be people who can do no better than to choose the low road and gnash their teeth at those who won't join them.

Jan, just because some people have a problem with it (or did at one point or another), doesn't mean everyone. Also, I can't speak for everyone, but I do believe there is appreciation for all the work that you have done with the gene. Congrats on everything we have found out about it up to this point!

Jarrett
Thank you and i ment not everybody ?

Greetings
Jan

Maybe it should be a bit more like it is with Carpets...
Usually, people who deal with their morphs know that their animals are crossed in between the many Morelia Spilota complex... and than you have the purists who avoid morphs altogether and stick to localities.

I don't think it's feasible to try hold the stick on both ends... "some morphs are pure, some are not" reliably.

You'll always have question marks... you either take them as they come and accept that it's part of what dealing with morphs CAN mean... or stick to classic looking Corns and be done with it(keys, Miami and so forth)

Back