CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

View Poll Results: After how many generations of "pure" breeding would say a snake is pure corn?
As long as a snake looks like a corn and acts like a corn, it's pure to me 4 8.16%
After 2 generations 0 0%
After 5 generations 5 10.20%
After 10 generations 7 14.29%
After 15 generations 1 2.04%
After 20 generations 0 0%
After 25 generations or more (if more, specify which number in the thread) 2 4.08%
If a snake has any hybrid ancestor, no matter how many generations ago, it's still a hybrid. 30 61.22%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Proposal regarding hybrids / pure corns

Old 01-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #51
Chip
How responsibly keeping something is less ethical than keeping it, and not only breeding it, but to a foreign species -is beyond me. Hybrid people have said corns and kings don't usually breed willingly. Bait and switch, taping the king's mouth closed, tricks like that are usually necessary.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #52
Carpe Serpentis
I personally see creating a hybrid for a pet or a pure corn for a pet as equal as both the pet version and the hybrid version would not occur in nature in the form or morph that we generally see in top end morphs. The fear of what hybrids will do to the pure snake gene pool in the hobby is an legitimate as the desire to have pure corn snakes is in and of itself. The real issue that I am seeing however, is simply that there is a desire to keep pure corns pure with no dna testing and thus we are left simply with the word of the breeder or in the case of wild caught corn snakes those that find them. If dna testing were employed then this would give credence to any breeder selling their snakes so long as an actual agreement on what is a pure specimen was first agreed upon. Dna testing would also prove beyond a shadow of a reasonable doubt that the parents of a snake were indeed the parents one states they are. In this manner, one could create a very nice long pedigree in short time proving their breeding attempts were all legitimate so to speak. A dominant gene like Tessera simply does not appear as a recessive trait. It is dominate so it must appear in a wild caught specimen or else one could argue that it is a mutated gene... the first of its kind if it resulted from a breeding of two corns. If the later is the case, dna testing would prove it out beyond a reasonable doubt. If however it was from a wild caught specimen one would only have the one specimen and then one has to look at what other specimens might have gone into the mix so to speak. Keeping snakes in cages or selectively breeding them is as ethical as breeding hybrids in my book as neither occurs in nature. If you want to see something in nature practice viewing snakes in nature and letting them go in the same spot you captured them.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #53
Carpe Serpentis
I see things as ridiculously simple where it comes to hybrids or pure corns. If you want to keep pure corns... first establish what a pure corn is. Then, dna test your corn. Only breed with others that have established the same guidelines that you have and have also dna tested their pure corn snakes. The kicker here is you only have to test your breeding snakes. The parents dna is on file for all breeders and thus if anyone wants to prove they have stock from such parents they can pay for their own dna testing. Beyond that, it is still the same old game of assuming the breeder is on the up and up about the pairing. Those that create hybrids will not have the same pedigree or be able to prove their pedigree with dna unless of course they admit hybrid dna into their pedigree. Problem solved. Those that want to simply breed beautiful snakes with hybrid dna are free to do so and develop elaborate dna pedigrees if they so desire and so too can those that want to keep their lines pure. All the rest can simply be puppy mills or corn snake mills without papers so to speak.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:35 PM   #54
jkgeorge
Are these tests even available to the general public?????

Old 01-15-2013, 05:41 PM   #55
Carpe Serpentis
http://www.theriondna.com/pdf/pets.pdf
The simple answer is yes.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:48 PM   #56
Chip
The truthful answer is no. That place can tell you if a certain animal is the baby daddy, but can't do NEARLY what we are hoping to accomplish here. Best I can tell, DNA isn't mapped in a single snake species. I would wager corns will be one of the first, though. This guy has done some DNA genetic marker research: http://www.life.illinois.edu/pjw/snake.htm, but I haven't found much more on Google. Heck, Americans spend TONS on our dogs annually, and the DNA breed results for those have proven to be all over the place for known pure breeds. I think we are a LONG way from it in pet snakes.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:24 PM   #57
Carpe Serpentis
The truthful answer is yes! If you agree that a certain corn is pure...i.e. you have determined that this is a corn snake of pure origin and others are in agreement... then yes, you can prove parentage. I'm not talking about breed tests. I am simply talking about parentage testing for those that the experts agree are pure. The rest is simply keeping tabs via dna testing to prove no outside influence. So, lets reiterate, 1st... determine what a pure corn snake is. Second, test the corn snakes dna that is not in question as to its purity. 3rd, only breed known pure corns dna tested to other pure corns. The onus is still on the breeder to determine what to accept as pure however.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:18 PM   #58
Chip
Good lord. Are you SERIOUSLY saying there is a DNA test that can prove that a certain corn in my collection is pure? That is what Jkgeorge is asking.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:40 PM   #59
Carpe Serpentis
Let me quote myself again for you Chip as you missed it the first time. "So, lets reiterate, 1st... determine what a pure corn snake is. Second, test the corn snakes dna that is not in question as to its purity. 3rd, only breed known pure corns dna tested to other pure corns. The onus is still on the breeder to determine what to accept as pure however."

JKgeorge was asking if dna testing was available to the general public.
I answered, Yes. Why? Because the answer is yes to his question. As for what I am saying, I have been saying it over and over... not sure how to rephrase it so you can understand it any better.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:55 PM   #60
Chip
Missed it that time too, I guess. Oh, you're full of hot gas, and just saying that a thing called DNA testing exists. Carry on.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google