CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Just feeling cranky this morning

Old 06-21-2005, 10:59 AM   #71
Taceas
I can't see it...says I don't have permission. Guess that means it was already removed? Figures, I'll be late to my own funeral.

Old 06-21-2005, 10:59 AM   #72
Rich Z
So what do I do about it? Ban people? Three day suspension? If I don't have any teeth in the policy who would bother paying attention to it?

Old 06-21-2005, 11:01 AM   #73
DdotSpot
I dunno...A warning? A sticky with a warning of consequences of posting sale ads in other sections? Touchy subject :S

Old 06-21-2005, 11:10 AM   #74
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
So what do I do about it? Ban people? Three day suspension? If I don't have any teeth in the policy who would bother paying attention to it?
Public humiliation would be my vote. Instead of suspending or banning, have their avatar changed to this:

Old 06-21-2005, 11:13 AM   #75
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taceas
I can't see it...says I don't have permission. Guess that means it was already removed? Figures, I'll be late to my own funeral.
Well of course I removed the thread. And I did send a warning via email to the person who did that letting them know that it was not appreciated and may result in them getting banned from this site if they continue to do it.

I guess I look at it as two possibilities when someone does this
  1. It was kind of unintentional because they couldn't figure out why they couldn't post their ad in the For Sale section.
  2. It WAS intentional and basically thumbing their nose at my new policy.

Figuring out which is which may not be obvious.

Old 06-21-2005, 11:19 AM   #76
carol
I think that's the best thing to do, delete it the first time with a warning but if it happens again.... HMM>

Old 06-21-2005, 11:33 AM   #77
Taceas
The whole 'Contributor Only' being able to post For Sale ads may end up backfiring on a certain degree...especially if someone is desperate enough to post on other sections and their posts be up for an hour or so before it's discovered and removed.

Personally I think the sticky at the top of the For Sale section should be more attention getting. Sadly enough, I didn't notice the change in policy till I saw Mike Panichi's post asking why he couldn't post ads anymore.

But I agree...f they tried to post a For Sale and couldn't...common sense would dictate they would read around and see if they're the only one. So unless they're a newer member...I would almost lean with intentional.

Mind sharing who it was, so I can keep an eye out? Hopefully no one else has the same dim idea.

Old 06-21-2005, 11:56 AM   #78
Gronk
Misty...

It was franklin.

Btw...despite the "evil grin" emoticon I used, I didn't find his thread funny.
It bothers me that people will "end run" whatever and whenever they can.

If it was someone new to the site doing it, that's one thing. I guess some people are going to try to push Rich's buttons or just don't care

Still boggles my mind that people that regularly use this forum and house, heat and feed snakes...can't contribute. Hell if you're keeping even a modest collection of corns, it cost's more than $25 to a month to take care of them.

I'm not trying to take any type of moral highground..stuff like this just irritates me.

Old 06-21-2005, 12:10 PM   #79
Mary-Beth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronk
If it was someone new to the site doing it, that's one thing. I guess some people are going to try to push Rich's buttons or just don't care

Still boggles my mind that people that regularly use this forum and house, heat and feed snakes...can't contribute. Hell if you're keeping even a modest collection of corns, it cost's more than $25 to a month to take care of them.

I'm not trying to take any type of moral highground..stuff like this just irritates me.

Yeah, I feel the same way.
I noticed at least one other very subtle sale ad in the Photo Gallery too.

And I like DAND's idea with the avatar, just needs something like "I DON'T PAY FOR MY SALE ADS" written on it. It's akin to the "I'M A BANDWIDTH THIEF" pictures some people use.

Old 06-21-2005, 05:32 PM   #80
Taceas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronk
Well now I agree with you to an extent, but if everyone 'donated' it'd be a pay-to-use site, wouldn't it? I just think you're getting a little over-zealous with this, personally.

Some people who use this site A LOT could definitely afford a piddly $25 for the For Sale section for sure with as many high-end morphs that they *used* to sell on here. I could name a few names, but I'm not going to because most of us already know who the culprits are.

But most members unless they feel truly honored to be here, be a member, and want to give back after a while don't NEED to donate. It would be nice if they did, but it isn't required.

If they only have a couple of snakes and just enjoy the hobby, its fine that they come and visit and interact and banter and share...I encourage everyone to do just that. But I don't think we should be pressuring people to donate. When the guilt of using this service as a launch pad gets to them, maybe they'll do the kind thing and help keep this great place up and running. But if they don't, well then they have the cheapskate stigma hanging over their heads.

As for Franklin, I have NEVER seen him post anything really. So what value is he? Who's to say?

I didn't see the "ad" that he posted in whatever section and I've never seen one ad from him on the For Sale section to be honest. He just appears to be a fly-by-night kind of guy. Perhaps he's more active over on Fauna, I dunno. I think its best to leave it to Rich to determine someone's worth and whether or not they belong here ultimately. We each have our reasons for not liking other people on here, even me. If he needs input on someone's involvement on here in making that decision, then by all means he may ask and get a few replies that hopefully help to make that decision in the end.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google