CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Adult content in threads..

Old 11-15-2007, 02:55 PM   #61
Drizzt80
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzgeek View Post
I wish Bruce Lee would rise from his grave, just to beat the crap out of Chuck Norris.
I can't recall ever going off topic like this before, so I truly apologize, and I didn't know where to go to post this! I wish I'd had your current sig two years ago. Quite possibly every guy on my swim team was quoting Chuck Norris jokes during practice for 3 months straight . . . would have loved having this at my disposal!!

D80

Old 11-15-2007, 05:08 PM   #62
desertanimal
Dean, I don't think anyone here who wants a "Happy Hour" forum wants to change the rules of the forum at all. We just want to have happy hour. You know, you go out to a bar, you have a few drinks, you kick back and talk with your friends about your work problems, the week's politics, the really great speech by Gloria Steinem that you went to and how she said that the gay rights movement is an extension of the feminist movement rather than two separate things and how you never thought about it quite in that way before. You have passionate discussions that sometimes get a little loud for the neighboring table, but you try to keep it down when you realize it. Sometimes, people get so impassioned that they get angry, but everyone knows they're in a public place, and everyone tries to negotiate those situations and resolve them in a civil way. This is what my happy hours are like.

Occassionally, at happy hour, people at another table will get carried away. Ocassionally, the crazy sorority girls will sit on guys' laps and it's a gross public display of sexuality that no one really wants to see, or the guys out for bachelor parties will start hitting on women who aren't in their party and don't want it. Then, people will go talk to the manager. And because their behavior is bothering others and is generally considered inappropriate in public, even around adults, the manager will ask them to either cut it out, or leave.

That's how I envision this subforum. It's happy hour. Because you don't take all your work/school happy hour friends to the local family restaurant for happy hour on Friday. Why? Because if you start talking about the war too loudly, or too graphically, or you get a little carried away in your argument and use a curse word when you didn't mean to, or you are talking about the woes of your best transgendered friend and how he was beaten up on the way out of a bar last week, stabbed, and left to die on the street, the family at the table beside you with a 4-year old and a 10-year old are going to be bothered, and are going to feel like THEY have to leave.

Nobody in the "Happy Hour" forum should do anything or talk about anything they wouldn't do or talk about at an upscale bar on a Friday evening. But there are lots of things you can do and talk about at an upscale bar on a Friday evening in public, while still following all the rules courtesy and decency, that you just really might not want to do and talk about at Denny's when the people around you all have their kids out for an evening of dinner and fun.

No one is suggesting changing the rules of the forum. I agree with Tim, that conversations that are offensive to a large majority of the adult forum AS ADULTS should not be discussed/shown/etc. We don't want to SEE what we would see if we were forced to go into a strip club. But one discussion of late that people wanted to be held away from the eyes of children was something you'd hear about on CNN or Fox News, and that you've heard about in interviews with the Hillary Clinton on Oprah (or I've heard that you COULD have heard). I respect that some people might not want their children watching the news because it covers issues that can be difficult for or upsetting to or outside the comprehension of their children. I respect the fact that children are around if I am ever forced to eat at Denny's, and I don't debate capital punishment when they are within earshot. But I don't always eat with my friends at family establishments. Sometimes (really, always, but you know what I mean for the sake of the example), I go with my anthropology friends to grown-up establishments. We don't talk about anthropology only--I don't have to go find social justice grad. students if I want to talk about a social justice issue (i.e., another forum)--we talk about lots of things, lots of adult things, and we talk in a polite and civil manner that will not get us kicked out of a grown-up restaurant, but we talk about things that might get us asked to leave a family restaurant where there was a 10-year old birthday party being held at the next table.

Concerned parents can block FOX news and CNN on their TVs if they are concerned about what their children see. They can choose to take their kids to Denny's instead of to the neighborhood bar and grill on a Friday night. All creating a "Happy Hour" forum here would do is allow those of us that want to have happy hour-appropriate discussions that NO ONE WOULD OBJECTIVELY CALL OFFENSIVE as a topic of discussion (since they'll be things you might find on the news and will often be salient to things that are actually happening in our society and around the world) to have them. It would allow us not to always have to eat at Denny's with the 10-year old birthday parties. And, simultaneously, it would allow concerned parents to block those "channels" that they think are not appropriate for their kids. AND, it would allow the tea-totallers to AVOID the likes of us who enjoy going out for a couple of hours Friday night after work to kick back and have adult discussions with no kids around, because we will no longer be trying to have our serious talks in their Denny's in front of their families.

I believe THIS is what many of the people in this thread have supported. NO ONE (but you, my friend Dean ) has suggested that Prince Albert pics or strip club pics or college drinking games are wanted or would be allowed. We're still talking about being civil in the "Happy Hour" forum, we're just ALSO talking about being adults among adults. I should think even parents might appreciate that from time to time. I KNOW that parents occasionally want to talk to other adults specifically outside the earshot of their children. How difficult it is to be a parent and how much you're struggling with your loss of independence compared to before you had kids is ALSO a topic people might want to chat about with friends, but probably don't want their 7-year old reading over their shoulder. It's what women in my department sometimes talk about when they get to GO to happy hour, because they've gotten a babysitter for the night.

But I agree--the same mods can moderate it. They just won't be talking about what you can say in front of your 10-year old neighbor when they're justifying their moderating decisions, because that won't be a consideration anymore in determining what is and isn't appropriate.

Oh and p.s., I vote for calling it "Happy Hour" (if you couldn't tell). That will give it the right feel from the start. "Adult only," and other variations on that theme gives it an entirely different feel, and not the feel I think those of us in favor of this option are intending. We don't want people coming in thinking it's around the corner, down the alley, and behind the black door with the peephole (note: I'm making this up and have no idea what those black doors with peepholes I sometimes see on TV are for). We want people coming in thinking it's happy hour on a balmy Friday evening where you're sitting with friends in the outdoor patio area (adjacent to the sidewalk of the main drag) of your favorite local restaurant for half price appetizers, some great margaritas, and some grown-up conversation.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:42 PM   #63
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertanimal View Post
Dean, I don't think anyone here who wants a "Happy Hour" forum wants to change the rules of the forum at all. We just want to have happy hour...

...I believe THIS is what many of the people in this thread have supported. NO ONE (but you, my friend Dean ) has suggested that Prince Albert pics or strip club pics or college drinking games are wanted or would be allowed.
Great points, Stephanie. As Dale suggested, people (mostly me, I guess) may be getting too bogged down in the hypotheticals. If it isn't obvious, I'm still a little wishy-washy in my opinions about the whole thing. As you know, I'm not a fan of discrimination, and I think that this is at the core of many of my fears about a Happy Hour forum. I'd feel bad if we allowed men to post their bare-chested body art, and I had to tell a woman that she couldn't (I'll leave HRM Albert out of this for now ). What would be the basis, societal norms? It would be easier if we had some established yardstick of societal norms, but we don't. And even if we did, I might not consider it fair.

But I'm just thinking out loud here. I guess we should give it a shot, and see how it goes. There is a precedent of sorts. I've always been reluctant to bring up the "CAV's Grotto" private forum, but there it is. That's all-access, and there's a good amount of non-family-friendly stuff there. Fortunately, I'm not a mod in that forum, so I don't consider it my responsibility to "police" it. Is this cowardly on my part? Maybe.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:18 PM   #64
Dave123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson View Post
I've always been reluctant to bring up the "CAV's Grotto" private forum, but there it is. That's all-access, and there's a good amount of non-family-friendly stuff there. Fortunately, I'm not a mod in that forum, so I don't consider it my responsibility to "police" it. Is this cowardly on my part? Maybe.
Because Cav is not here right now and no one really knows when he will come back, it has to be up to someone to watch over that forum. Zach is in charge of it right now but he has not been on since August and it seems he may not come back for awhile. The "Random Humor" Thread is really funny but it may need to be watched over more closely.

I usually regard jokes as just jokes and do not take any of them personally even if they are biased in some ways. "Borat" is a funny movie that makes fun of almost everything you can think of, but IMO it is just a big joke and shouldn't be taken seriously and should not upset people. I like the "Random Humor" Thread but I can understand how it may not be appropriate for all ages, even if it is all fun and games and is not meant to hurt anybody. Maybe keep it around but if it does get too inappropriate we may have to move it to the "adult or happy hour" forum.

Just my opinion.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:20 PM   #65
tyflier
FWIW...I like "Happy Hour", and I agree that it much more accurately conveys what it is "we" want, rather than an "Adults" forum...too many "hidden meanings" in an "Adult Forum", IMO...

Old 11-15-2007, 09:44 PM   #66
MerlinsPop
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflier View Post
FWIW...I like "Happy Hour", and I agree that it much more accurately conveys what it is "we" want, rather than an "Adults" forum...too many "hidden meanings" in an "Adult Forum", IMO...
Agreed...usually I'm 2 or 3 in when I log on at night.
I don't have that excuse for what I post while I'm at work!

Old 11-15-2007, 09:48 PM   #67
kathylove
Actually, Happy Hour does sound pretty good. I don't really care what it is called, but I was a little concerned that something with "Adult" in the title might evoke ideas of XXX rated.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:09 PM   #68
Susan
A Happy Hour forum sounds okay to me, just as long as everyone is fully aware of and understands that they can be "cut off" for being "over the limit" by the "bartenders" and that the "bouncers" can and will do what is necessary to keep the police from having to be called.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:00 AM   #69
diamondlil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
A Happy Hour forum sounds okay to me, just as long as everyone is fully aware of and understands that they can be "cut off" for being "over the limit" by the "bartenders" and that the "bouncers" can and will do what is necessary to keep the police from having to be called.
That's such a good way of putting it!
(The rules could maybe be posted as a sticky specific to the Happy Hour, specific to that area)

Old 11-16-2007, 11:03 AM   #70
jazzgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
Forgive me, Susan - I've read through this three times now, and while I concur 100%, I can't help but to imagine you doing the "finger quotes" like Chris Farley's character, Bennett Brauer.

regards,
jazz

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google