CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Signature area use - specifically, dragon images

Old 03-26-2009, 10:50 AM   #81
Drizzt80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Why pick on DYK? Why not delete the nine billion redundant "My snake regurged" "My snake didn't poop" "My two snakes live together" "My snake only eats live" "My snake poops too much" "My snake laid eggs now what" "My snake poops on me" threads?
Might be the one key word. I could ""defend"" random blathering posts about snakes, but not necessarily "hey I'm gonna go have a Robbie" . . . Just sayin'.

I'm ridin' the fence on this one. I avoid the DYK, but do check in on rare occasion to see if it's still ridiculous. I don't mind the dragons, but do understand the load time limits for people with slower connections.

I think if there is the option to turn off viewing signatures, Allowing 1 dragon maybe a happy medium?

D80

Old 03-26-2009, 10:54 AM   #82
KJUN
> Why not just find out how many people on here have dial-up instead?

Ignoring the ones that COULD come here but haven't made it yet? ...what about the ones that have already left? LOL. See my point? Obviously, I'm being humorous, but there is a point in there somewhere.

> Even in rural areas many do now have the capability to switch over and in 5 years I would say the vast percentage of our country will have this access.
Sure, if you ignore the predictions about the upcoming internet crash due to too many high speed users and too much bandwidth use! (I'm not sure I believe even slightly that this will ever happen, but some of the numbers used to make the prediction are valid.)

> Look at what is happening with TV signals...they are ALL going digital despite the fact that not everyone can afford to convert.

Ummm, what are you talking about? The .gov is given out coupons that are valued for more than I paid for my converter boxes. Both are "free" - and we pay taxes for those coupons, anyway......lol. So, how is this relevant? BTW, screw the rural people again since the digital signals don't carry as far....lol.

> There is no such thing as fair for all- decisions are made on the majority which will always ignore the minority period.

Wrong. Decisions are generally don't concerning what is best for the SITE. Sometimes, minor inconvieniences to the majority outweight the benefits to attracting more of thosei n the minority.

> I think if there is the option to turn off viewing signatures, Allowing 1 dragon maybe a happy medium?

Is there an option that lets me hide posts that are just about who is having sex with who? LOL

KJ

Old 03-26-2009, 11:34 AM   #83
danielle
Actually the government ran out of coupons and yes some people will go without TV. I have to disagree respectfully btw with all your other points there is a word called equity our government loves to use when they make decisions that will screw a portion of the population. Decisions are made on what is the most equitable decision which means what will be most fair for the majority of those the decision will effect. The dragons I get, but the DYK thread is the most popular thread here other than the photo gallery and taking it away would not be an equitable decision. Obviously you aren't a fan of this thread, but others are so while you can abstain from viewing it making everyone abstain from using it seems wrong to me.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:43 AM   #84
snakewispera snr
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBoz View Post
The social groups would be a great place for DYK with just few exceptions.

First of all, you can't quote anyone in there, which makes conversations difficult. There are fewer options such as uploading photos from one's pc, they have to be done from online hosting. You don't have the "40 post/page" option, which can really make it difficult to try to nagivate through tons of posts. There's also no "new posts" tag to take you back to where you left off at your last visit.

Ok, ok...enough with the negative waves, Moriarty. :P
Non of those things were a problem with the 18+ or closed shop from what I saw... People still posted all the time... 18+ hit over 3000 post in a very short time... People copied and pasted for a quote and lots of pics were posted. 40 posts a page or 10 posts a page is still the same amount to wade through.... and just leave it at your last page when you log off and it's there when you log on....
Problems solved....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
HORRIBLE IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Social groups are so difficult to read, backwards, that they are barely worth looking at. Just my opinion.
Come on it's easy to read backwards.... Just a bit different.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt80 View Post
Might be the one key word. I could ""defend"" random blathering posts about snakes, but not necessarily "hey I'm gonna go have a Robbie" . . . Just sayin'.

I'm ridin' the fence on this one. I avoid the DYK, but do check in on rare occasion to see if it's still ridiculous. I don't mind the dragons, but do understand the load time limits for people with slower connections.

I think if there is the option to turn off viewing signatures, Allowing 1 dragon maybe a happy medium?

D80
I'm the same as you.... I wouldn't forfeit snake threads for chat posts when it's a snake forum.... We have loads of other ways to chat without clogging up the system....

Old 03-26-2009, 11:52 AM   #85
jazzgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakewispera snr View Post
Non of those things were a problem with the 18+ or closed shop from what I saw...
Never confuse a problem with an inconvenience. Many people give up on using a website when it's difficult/inconvenient, even though those who designed it thought that it would be "no problem".

Quote:
40 posts a page or 10 posts a page is still the same amount to wade through....
But it's not the same to the web server offering up the pages for you to read. It's all about tradeoffs and optimizations, from a geek's perspective.

And keep Wade out of this.

Dale

Old 03-26-2009, 12:05 PM   #86
KJUN
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle View Post
Actually the government ran out of coupons and yes some people will go without TV. I have to disagree respectfully btw with all your other points there is a word called equity our government loves to use when they make decisions that will screw a portion of the population. Decisions are made on what is the most equitable decision which means what will be most fair for the majority of those the decision will effect. The dragons I get, but the DYK thread is the most popular thread here other than the photo gallery and taking it away would not be an equitable decision. Obviously you aren't a fan of this thread, but others are so while you can abstain from viewing it making everyone abstain from using it seems wrong to me.
Rich doesn't need to be equitable.......lol. He just needs to do what he thinks is best for him, the site, and/or its advertisers.

FYI - I couldn't care less about the DYK thread. I am concerned about some of its CONTENT. I do have a care about saignature images in all threads, though.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:13 PM   #87
snakewispera snr
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzgeek View Post
Never confuse a problem with an inconvenience. Many people give up on using a website when it's difficult/inconvenient, even though those who designed it thought that it would be "no problem".
I didn't say it wasn't inconvenient, I said it wasn't a problem, and it wasn't.. It didn't stop anyone posting or you creating your own group....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzgeek View Post
But it's not the same to the web server offering up the pages for you to read. It's all about tradeoffs and optimizations, from a geek's perspective.

Dale
We wasn't talking servers we were talking how easy it is to get through tons of posts, quickly....

Old 03-26-2009, 12:20 PM   #88
danielle
Its definitely up to Rich on that we agree, but am I missing the inappropriate content on the DYK thread? I do not steadily read it or post on it to be honest though when I need a break and a good laugh its the first thread I look at. I think on most webites epecially forums your going to find inappropriate content or at least comments that will be offensive to some for sure, but for the most part the DYK thread is actually pretty clean except for Miss TT, lol! Usually its people saying goodmorning and goodnight, talking about what their doing for the day, or venting about their day which is sobering for me when I think my day has sucked. I agree with you on signature images as well no one should be able to inconvenience the whole site for the sake of a few images at the bottom of their signature, but I am not convinced the DYK thread is doing the same thing as their our threads bigger than that on here no one i complaining about. I hope DYK can stay- if not than oh well- but it is always a nice break!

Old 03-26-2009, 12:25 PM   #89
KJUN
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle View Post
I am not convinced the DYK thread is doing the same thing as their our threads bigger than that on here no one i complaining about.
Yeah, I saw people asking if it slowed down the general site, but I don't think it has slowed down the rest of the site for me, either.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:30 PM   #90
jazzgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakewispera snr View Post
I didn't say it wasn't inconvenient, I said it wasn't a problem, and it wasn't.. It didn't stop anyone posting or you creating your own group....

We wasn't talking servers we were talking how easy it is to get through tons of posts, quickly....

*sigh*

Mike, I understand what we "weren't" talking about. I was introducing additional considerations that site owners and designers have that users don't.

No, "it didn't stop" others from posting - but it MAY stop others from using. Are you telling me that you've NEVER had a frustrating experience trying to use a web site?

Dale

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google