CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Rep Points

Old 04-16-2009, 04:22 PM   #11
Rich Z
I don't see any reason to get rid of the reputation system, but I have changed the calculation algorithm for how those points are determined. Also adjusted the number of members a person can give points to.

I'm not sure how this will affect the ratings everyone now has, but I believe this is done via an automated script that runs at night. We'll see what the landscape looks like tomorrow, I guess...

Old 04-16-2009, 04:22 PM   #12
wade
This was a frivolous comment that I have chosen to delete.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:29 PM   #13
mike17l
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
I don't see any reason to get rid of the reputation system, but I have changed the calculation algorithm for how those points are determined. Also adjusted the number of members a person can give points to.

I'm not sure how this will affect the ratings everyone now has, but I believe this is done via an automated script that runs at night. We'll see what the landscape looks like tomorrow, I guess...
Rich, that is definitely better than nothing. Thanks.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:35 PM   #14
jazzgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
Thank you Dale. You know I love ya man!!

Edit, I take that back if you didn't actually give me points.
Well, I had the best intentions.

But if you love me, you'd rep me. My whole existence depends on it.

Dale

Old 04-16-2009, 05:09 PM   #15
wade
I used up all of mine this morning too. Sorry.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:11 PM   #16
jazzgeek
Quote:
I used up all of mine this morning too. Sorry.
A little more sincerity. My whole existence depends on it.

Dale

Old 04-16-2009, 05:13 PM   #17
wade
This was a frivolous comment that I have chosen to delete.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:07 PM   #18
danielle
Quote:
Gee Mike I never pictured you as a whiner. But I can see your point. I can see how people with more points than you could tell people all kinds of crazy things like how they should be out shooting cats or something. An uninformed or uneducated person might not realize that would be wrong. The next thing you know Rich would be liable for the deaths of thousands of stray cats. Rodents would run rampant. Diseased fleas would spread through out the world. Plague would ravage the cities. And death would rule the day.

Rich, we gotta do something FAST.
I freaking love you man I haven't repped anyone today or yesterday and couldn't rep you for this helpful, intelligent, and well written post. Oh well nice!

Old 04-16-2009, 06:35 PM   #19
ghosthousecorns
Thank You Rich!
I am in agreement with Mike on this. (We still don't see eye to eye on the cats though ) Not trying to be party pooper but I personally feel that Rep points should be earned. If they were "popularity" points then the way people frivolously hand them to their buddies for the nonsense would make sense. But they are "reputation points" ... how do you get a good reputation? By telling jokes? By repping your buddies so they rep you back? I feel you should get them by helping people out with their snake issues or making a good argument in a thread or starting an interesting thread that people like, or doing something helpful / constructive / meaningful. OK maybe if you post a great picture also.
It's just, I can think of several people who are relative newbies to keeping snakes who have a ton of rep because they just post a lot and have better "social skills" than some other members who are MUCH more knowledgeable and kept snakes way longer. Once just anyone can get reps for just anything they really don't mean much.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:07 PM   #20
admitchell08
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthousecorns View Post
Thank You Rich!
I am in agreement with Mike on this. (We still don't see eye to eye on the cats though ) Not trying to be party pooper but I personally feel that Rep points should be earned. If they were "popularity" points then the way people frivolously hand them to their buddies for the nonsense would make sense. But they are "reputation points" ... how do you get a good reputation? By telling jokes? By repping your buddies so they rep you back? I feel you should get them by helping people out with their snake issues or making a good argument in a thread or starting an interesting thread that people like, or doing something helpful / constructive / meaningful. OK maybe if you post a great picture also.
It's just, I can think of several people who are relative newbies to keeping snakes who have a ton of rep because they just post a lot and have better "social skills" than some other members who are MUCH more knowledgeable and kept snakes way longer. Once just anyone can get reps for just anything they really don't mean much.
That is pretty much the reason why I repped Wade in that thread he started about rep...because I found it quite interesting and entertaining. I'm not saying it was a very helpful thread that actually contributed to this site in a meaningful way, but it gave many people, including myself, a good and much needed laugh.

Disclaimer: I am in no way trying to cause conflict with this post. I do agree that rep points have the ability to get spread around like candy at Halloween...and I also admit that I have participated in it from time to time.

Edit:

Also, don't reputation and popularity go hand in hand? If you are popular, doesn't it mean you have a good reputation? And if you have a bad reputation, doesn't it mean you aren't really that popular among your peers?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google