CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

humidity problem

Old 03-29-2002, 11:45 PM   #1
Ben
Question humidity problem

hey all. the past few days it has been more humid outside than usual. my snow corn is outside in the garage. the temps are perfect, hes eating great, digestion is fine. however, the humidity reads about 70%. i am aware that is too high, should be around 50% or so. so how do i bring it down. and please dont say bring him inside, i have argued and debated this many times over w/ my parents, and the answer still remains "no"! so.. any other suggestions on how to bring the humidity down? thanx in advance.
-Ben-

Old 03-30-2002, 12:19 AM   #2
Iris
I suppose you could use a dehumidifier in the garage...but that would probably be a hassle, especially if you don't have one already. Someone else probably has a better idea.

Old 03-30-2002, 12:45 AM   #3
Alicia
Well I'm no expert but I do live where it gets very humid. I checked my humidity in my house tonight & it's over 60% right now. (Storms are moving thru right now) Corns in the wild live in humid areas with no problems. If your snake is eating and is other wise healthy I don't think it's a problem. I checked some of my books & I couldn't find anything about the humidity being kept at 50%. I hope everything works out alright

Old 03-30-2002, 04:02 AM   #4
Simon
Just my 2 cents......

well.....I haven't personally encountered this problem before but then I have heard that you can put a fan beside the tank and let the air currency flow could bring the humidity down a bit.......but I am not sure about this. Hope that other people on this site could help you.

Good Luck and Happy Herping!

Old 03-30-2002, 08:37 AM   #5
Kevin M
I wouldnt worry about the humidity in the enclosure if its just something that happens from time to time. However, If it is high all the time then you have yourself a little problem.

How do you heat your enclosures anyway? DO you have the water bowl directly over your heat source, or near it?

-Kev

Old 03-30-2002, 11:27 AM   #6
Ben
humidity again

hey all, thanx for the help. i dont think i have any fans around, if i do, then i dont have enough plug outlets were my snake lives. and to Kev, i use a heating pad on 1/3 of the tank and in the winter i use a 100 watt heat emiter along w/ it. that seemed to do well this winter still keeping the temps around 80. i keep the water bowel in the center of the cage, the heat pad is along the far left side w/ part touching, part not. when humidity gets to low, i spray cage w/ water and cover it w/ a towel or sheet. that brings the humidity up, but still wonderin how to bring it down. w/ spring arriving (however u spell it) im sure the rains will come in too. when the rains come so will the humidity. so unless i can convince my cowardly parents to bring it inside, i may have a slight problem. any more ideas? thanx. -Ben-

Old 04-02-2002, 12:30 PM   #7
ROACHMAN
Question Mine is skyhigh then

Well currently my humidity is 80 and the snakes looks quite happy in it the temp ranges from 23 - 30 but i dont have anything that generates any artificial atmosphere , that is our tempratures here , well the cage humidity is a bit higher than outside but the humidity sticks at about 70 here...
we are about on the same latitude (i think as california?) here is SA

Old 08-04-2005, 03:24 PM   #8
JAG 32
I found my corn does best with humidity about 60-70%. Yours should be fine where it is. Good Luck!

Old 08-04-2005, 03:27 PM   #9
Bobo's Mama
Dude! This post is 3 years old! They probably don't even have their snake anymore or isn't on the forums any more or whatever, but man, pay attention to the date. Digging up old threads is really kind of silly.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google