CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Yearling Corn, adult mice to small?

Old 01-30-2014, 07:33 PM   #21
Justine66
just a reply to all the newer posts on this thread!

Sirius is just over the 300 gram mark still i think he weighed in last time at 308 or something along those lines, still getting one adult mouse every 10 days now. Which has been nice, he's out hunting a lot more in the last few days before feeding.

but I am being cautious with his feedings now, he gets weighed before every meal so i can track his weight. and he's doing just great!

Old 01-30-2014, 11:38 PM   #22
MysticExotics
Keep in mind that snakes grow at different rates. It's not just about genetics or what you feed them (*I'll comment on that in a minute).
I've had sibling babies from the same clutch, on the same feeding schedule, being fed the same prey that have grown at a noticeably different rate. At a year, a couple were on the small side, some were "average" and a few were huge.

I've never seen an overweight youngin. They're using everything to grow. It's when they're done growing, if over fed, that they start getting overweight.

Some are just bigger than others.

As far as food, while some corns do get rather large, even the largest ones really don't need anything bigger than an XL Adult mouse. I have fed a couple of very large (800-ish grams) an XL Adult mouse, but everything under 500-600 grams gets Large Adult mice. Females about every 7 days, males about every 14 days.

Rats are higher in fat, and will eventually cause the Corn to be fat. While some people do feed rats to corns, I think it's excessive.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:05 AM   #23
foghat
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticExotics View Post

As far as food, while some corns do get rather large, even the largest ones really don't need anything bigger than an XL Adult mouse. I have fed a couple of very large (800-ish grams) an XL Adult mouse, but everything under 500-600 grams gets Large Adult mice. Females about every 7 days, males about every 14 days.

Rats are higher in fat, and will eventually cause the Corn to be fat. While some people do feed rats to corns, I think it's excessive.
Going to resurrect this thread. I know we talked about it in a previous thread you help me with, but for the sake of clarity: How many grams is a large adult? XL adult?

Old 03-25-2014, 11:27 AM   #24
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticExotics View Post
I've had sibling babies from the same clutch, on the same feeding schedule, being fed the same prey that have grown at a noticeably different rate. At a year, a couple were on the small side, some were "average" and a few were huge.
Plus, once there's a gap, caused by whatever, all it does is widen. I had a clutch a couple years ago where one baby hatched and shed and ate, and the others were four or five days behind, so when they ate, the first one got fed again. He was always a step ahead of them, and got onto fuzzies way ahead, then hoppers, and he was easily twice the size of his clutchmates by the time he was a year old.

In a reverse situation, if a baby refuses the first one or two meals, or has a regurge, that's enough to set it way behind the siblings. They all average out eventually, at 3-5 years of age. Usually.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:17 PM   #25
Rigby & Marcy
Based on my experience I think a small extra amount of food can make quite a difference on growth rate without becoming fat. My two snakes are almost 2 & 1/2 years old. Rigby was ever so slightly larger when I got them a year ago, so I always subconsciously fed him the larger of the two mice at every feeding. Now he is several inches longer and much heavier than Marceline, but he isn't fat and she isn't starving. He just grew faster.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:52 PM   #26
ashleynicole
Rats actually have a smaller percentage of fat and a little higher calcium than mice. I feed my oldest corn one small rat every 3 weeks. When i take him to shows they tell me he is one of the most beautiful corns they've ever seen.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Old 05-12-2014, 08:53 PM   #27
ashleynicole
Of course I didnt start feeding him rats till he was maybe 6 years old or so

Old 05-12-2014, 08:55 PM   #28
ashleynicole
Here is a pick I just took a minute ago and he just ate his rat about an hour ago. Hes still pretty active at the moment

Old 05-12-2014, 09:44 PM   #29
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
Going to resurrect this thread. I know we talked about it in a previous thread you help me with, but for the sake of clarity: How many grams is a large adult? XL adult?
You mean on the feeders, correct?
Depends on the vendor.
Layne Labs large (20-30) Xlarge (30-50)

Rodent Pro large (18-24) Xlarge (24-45)

But that should give you a general idea.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:58 PM   #30
drybgerg
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynicole View Post
Rats actually have a smaller percentage of fat and a little higher calcium than mice. I feed my oldest corn one small rat every 3 weeks. When i take him to shows they tell me he is one of the most beautiful corns they've ever seen.

I think you got it backwards:
Adult rat fat 32.6%
Adult mouse fat 23.6%

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google