CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

DIY: Artificial Rock

Old 09-12-2008, 05:46 PM   #1
TripleMoonsExotic
DIY: Artificial Rock

For some reason someone linked this in my DIY: Great Stuff Foam Terrarium Background thread, so I figured I my as well put it in its own DIY section since it's something completely different.

Originally posted: Instructables.com on 07/26/2008 by RedHandFilms

NOTE: I edited some of the instructions so it's easier to follow.

Materials
Styrofoam
Grout mix
Cement Color
Great Stuff Expanding Foam Insulator
Water
Water Based Polycrylic Satin Sealer

Tools
Knives and hand saws
Hot Glue Gun and Glue Sticks (DO NOT USE SUPERGLUE)
Bucket
Inexpensive Bristle Paint Brushes

The best advice I can give you here is to actually work inside your viv. This helps you make sure it will fit, as well as gives you an idea of proportions. You wouldn't want to accidentally make it too large. Remember to leave some extra room around the edges. You don't want it to be a tight fit now because you still have to grout it.

Start with a real rough cut, just laying things out. Don't glue anything down yet. It also helps if you can draw on the floors and wall of the viv to give yourself reference points for shape. If you don't actually want to mark your floor, lay down some newspaper you can draw on)

Get your basic shape together. Don't worry about leaving holes and don't do any detail carving yet.

GLUE

In order to get everything back the way you have it now, it really helps if you draw marks and lines onto your shape. Trace the outline of a piece onto the piece below it. Trace the bottom footprint onto the bottom of your viv or newspaper. Take off each layer and start gluing things down working from the bottom up (don't glue it to the floor!)

EXPANDING FOAM

Spray Great Stuff in the little holes and gaps. Use a little more in places you want it to build up. Leave it to expand and dry overnight.

CARVING

Pull out your knife and saw and go to town! Time to get creative and let your artistic side show. What you're carving now will be the shape of the final piece. Remember, don't go into too fine detail. The layers of grout will fill in a lot of the small stuff completely. If you want it to show up, cut it deeper!

GROUT

Ok now, time make this look like a rock, and not a big chunk of foam.
Mix your grout. Don't mix it all at once. Leftovers will dry out while you're waiting between coats. Try using about 1/4 of your grout per coat. I don't really have a set measurement for water, but you want it to be kinda thin and soupy. It will brush on easier that way. If you're using coloration, this would be the time to mix it in. Once you've got your soupy grout, start brushing it on. Make sure you get in all the cracks and crevasses, including the bottom.

Apply 3 coats but let dry overnight between coats! This will ensure everything is covered and it will be nice and strong.

PAINT & SEAL

You can use acrylic paints to paint the grout if you choose. Sealing is a very important step. Use a safe, low fume sealer such as Water Based Polycrylic sealer if possible. Shellac also works well but will leave it shiny. I actually ran out of polycrylic so I used shellac inside the cave and on the bottom where it wouldn't be seen. Use your other brush and apply 3 coats of sealant, once again, making sure to get into every crack and crevasse. Once you've finished, let it air out for a few days, preferably with a fan blowing on it.

ENJOY!

Old 09-12-2008, 05:53 PM   #2
jpccusa
Great job! Thanks TME...

Old 09-12-2008, 06:01 PM   #3
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpccusa View Post
Great job! Thanks TME...
I'm actually going to do this exact thing in 3 enclosures I have here for my Hognoses and Leopards. I'll add a printable PDF with my own information and pictures to the thread when I have at least one of them done.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:38 PM   #4
Jimmysan00
That would be me, i'm the someone. I love how you posted my link that i found and gave me no credit. And i was going to post it separately like u asked, but i guess you beat me too it. Wish i hadn't had to work.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:57 PM   #5
Putty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmysan00 View Post
That would be me, i'm the someone. I love how you posted my link that i found and gave me no credit. And i was going to post it separately like u asked, but i guess you beat me too it. Wish i hadn't had to work.
Wasnt that her link? In some of your posts on here you steal stuff from this forum and off of the internet itself so I don't get where you are coming from.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:01 PM   #6
Jimmysan00
No it wasn't her link at all. When i steal stuff from this forum i just post the link so people know it's not coming from me. I use information from the internet that i read and researched, but i don't think that's stealing. I didn't mean to come off badly, which i think is how you took it. I was commenting on the fact that she told me to make a new thread, and i was at work till now, and she did it for me. Then gave me no credit for finding that project.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:08 PM   #7
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmysan00 View Post
I didn't feel any credit was due to you as you didn't write it. The appropriate credit went to the forum it originated from and the writer. I can search and come up with hundreds of reptile related DIY threads...Why exactly are you pitching a fit? I at least mentioned and linked the thread where you inappropriately posted it. When you post links you aren't providing credit to where it originated from or who wrote it at all...and you have been caught plagiarizing (here and here).

Their really is no need to get upset about something as silly as this. Would you have been happier if I had written my own and posted it instead (which I plan on doing anyway as I mentioned in post #3)?

Old 09-12-2008, 09:12 PM   #8
Jimmysan00
How am i not giving credit if i am posting the direct link where people will see where it came from and who wrote it? lol I didn't say i wrote it, I said i posted it, and found it. If you didn't find it you should say. Instead you said "someone" and i was letting people know who that someone was. That's all. Not a big deal at all. I have not plagiarized, so if you want to accuse me at least be right. Thanks. I think i may have chosen my words wrongly when i originally post, and for that i apologize. Sorry.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:24 PM   #9
TripleMoonsExotic
I provided two examples of you not providing credit for things you didn't write in post #7. Dean even pointed one out to you and asked you to not do that.

Again, I didn't feel credit was due because you didn't write it. If you feel differently, that's fine...But it appears that you are throwing a temper tantrum over "finding" something anyone can by doing a Google search...

If I get around to finishing my own before the 30 day editing limit I'll be sure to change it to my version so you can feel better and repost it yourself, since for some reason you feel you are entitled to it.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:35 PM   #10
Jimmysan00
ok i tried to apologize and be nice, but i guess that just doesn't work with some people. have a great day nice post.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google