CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

What kinds of snakes eat rabbits?

Old 11-27-2010, 08:10 PM   #21
starsevol
I think a nice adult florida king would do the trick. I LOVE mine!!!
And you wouldn't need to breed rats for it either, it could eat the rabbit kits and any mice that are uneaten by your other snakes. Very versatile snakes they are!

Old 11-27-2010, 08:18 PM   #22
Floof
There are dwarf boas that stay in the range of 3-5 ft, who are plenty large enough to take a baby rabbit but not too big for one person to handle alone... I've seen adult male Nicaraguan boas that are just about 3 ft and full grown. You have Nicaraguans, Hogg Islands, Caulker Cay, Sonoran, Honduran... Okay, maybe just easier to link you to a site like Vin Russo's BCI page for a list!

It's rare for any of these dwarf localities to get over 5 ft, and even then you're just talking about particularly big females (sometimes just big, sometimes heavily-fed, even sometimes of questionable purity--it's very common to see Hogg Islands crossed with standard Colombians).

I could be mistaken, but I believe male Dumeril's boas stay in the same range (4-5 ft)? So they could be a good choice, too.

On enclosure sizes, everything that's been talked about so far (except maybe the Florida kings Beth mentioned) will need at least 4 ft of space. Carpets especially need a lot of space, as they are incredibly active. If your space limit is a 55 gallon tank, you might want to look at something different than a carpet.

You talk about only having space for a 55 gallon tank, but there ARE tanks of the same length that are MUCH more appropriate for a boa or medium-sized python. I personally hate 55 gallon tanks because they're so narrow. Really, too narrow for the majority of land-dwelling animals you might house in it (i.e. bearded dragons, boas, and pythons). I've found that the 6 inch difference between a 55 and 75 gallon tank is amazingly significant, and a 75 doesn't take up any more room than a 55. Actually, neither does a custom 4x2x2 ft cage... But that's beside the point.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:11 PM   #23
carnivorouszoo
Hmm, a custom? With like, plexi installed for a viewing front but a top hinge and locking lid?? 4 x2x2, that is length (like left to right), depth and height? I could do that easily. I have pleanty of time to research and build. You guys are great! I will go check that website posted, too.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:08 PM   #24
danielle
Check out ACReptiles.com for some hot carpets. A Hogg Island boa could also handle baby bunnies and selling them off locally isn't a bad idea

Old 11-28-2010, 10:09 AM   #25
carnivorouszoo
I went to ACReptiles.com and it only has info for the 2008 breeding season . . . I could not find anything new. Awesome pics though! Might look into a Hogg Island, but my husband saw a few pics of different Carpets and now he wants one too

Old 11-28-2010, 10:33 AM   #26
dickdeuel
Newborn rabbits can easily be eaten by any of the adult rat snakes, including corn snakes. Adult king snakes can eat them also. Large adult black rat snakes can eat adult wild rabbits, so that should give you some idea of what size domestic rabbits most can eat.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:32 PM   #27
Floof
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorouszoo View Post
Hmm, a custom? With like, plexi installed for a viewing front but a top hinge and locking lid?? 4 x2x2, that is length (like left to right), depth and height? I could do that easily. I have pleanty of time to research and build. You guys are great! I will go check that website posted, too.
Yes, that's length x width x height. I would actually recommend going with front-opening if you decide to build your own... It saves space and gives you the option to stack things/other enclosures on top, plus front-opening enclosures are often much easier to maintain. There are some good DIY projects in the DIY section here on the forum, last I checked, or you could look into professionally made PVC enclosures by companies like Boaphile and Animal Plastics.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:53 PM   #28
wstphal
I really like Morelia, although I don't have any yet, and they would get to the size you want. Or a locality BCI like a Hogg, the males will be big enough to eat a baby bunny but not too big for you to handle. 48 inch x 24 inch enclosures would do for a locality BCI, and it sounds like you are handy & could build your own if you don't want to buy. Boaphile seems to be the boa owners' preference if you do, and what I have seen of their enclosures sure looks well built!

Edit: Mike (snakewispera_snr) really knows his Morelia, so if you go for one of those, check with him for details on care, caging, etc!

Old 11-28-2010, 05:15 PM   #29
tricksterpup
have you thought of Bulls, pines or Gopher snakes? I feed mine on Kits when I can get them. My largest bulls will eat up to a 1 to 1.5 pound rabbit.
Indigos, or cribos will also eat small rabbits. Basically anything that is a good size will eat rabbits.
So feed your animals according to size.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:29 PM   #30
carnivorouszoo
Actually I may have found a Carpet for $135 with a custom cage, I just have to figure outh ow to get her to me. My car isn't big enough for the cage and I don't have a truck GRRR! But it might be a good thing if I can't get her right now. I hve 2 snakes in QT already and I wasn't really looking to actually get one now I really just emailed the lady who owns her asking for more info on them since she has some (she is selling one to make room for another that fits her collection better). Worked around to her asking if I would like to buy her since I sounded like such a good keeper. Not sure if I am but I try. Very hard. Probably going to keep researching and hold off on buying for a while though. Thanks everyone for all the info and help!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google