CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Brahminy Blind Snake

Old 12-12-2017, 03:12 PM   #1
Twolunger
Brahminy Blind Snake

Well, people sometimes call me to remove a snake from their garage or shed and it's usually a corn, ringed snake, or black racer. But sometimes a Brahminy Blind Snake will squeeze their way under a door and be found inside the house. I got to wondering how to sex the tiny blind snakes. To my surprise, nobody has yet to identify a male, (as far as I can determine). These snakes reproduce by females laying unfertilized eggs, which hatch as females. Look up parthenogenesis on the internet. These snakes are quite helpful around the flower beds here in Florida, eating ant and termite larva and eggs. Make sure you tell your friends not to kill them.

Old 12-13-2017, 12:31 AM   #2
Rich Z
Wonder how they fare against fire ants?

Old 12-13-2017, 09:36 AM   #3
Twolunger
I have read that they can secrete a defensive mucous that repels ants. I have also read that they quickly enter the ant tunnels, gulp down the larva and eggs and beat a hasty retreat. In any case, I encourage them to dine on the fire ants in my yard. LOL. They do need moisture, so are more frequently found in yards with lawn sprinklers. I've tried many commercial fire ant preparations, and home remedies, like orange oil mixtures, boron mixes, but more ants come to replace those killed. I use Amdro bait with some success, but now I'm going to try diatomaceous earth.

Old 12-13-2017, 12:19 PM   #4
Rich Z
What is the range in Florida of these critters? I wouldn't mind them being here on my property. It's a constant battle with fire ants.

Matter of fact, I regretfully had to live trap a few armadillos that were making a mess digging underneath our back porch steps. I kind of like having them around because I know that they, too, will tear up fire ant mounds. The three armadillos I caught so far were HUGE, so they must have been eating well. Matter of fact, after relocating them, I had to repair the trap each time because they are like little indestructible tanks and nearly destroyed the trap.

Old 12-13-2017, 01:41 PM   #5
Twolunger
I know they breed throughout the lower half of the state. Specimens have been found in upper Florida, but breeding stats are scarce. They may have been brought to upper Florida in nursery shipments. They have been reported in Louisiana too. Specimens have been found as far north as Ohio, but usually in greenhouses.

The armadillos in my area seem more bent on searching for grubs, and leave the ant mounds alone.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google