CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Need some advice about new viv

Old 08-28-2017, 06:11 PM   #1
Jess12313
Question Need some advice about new viv

Hi everyone,I am new on this website and new to owning a corn snake I have a anerythristic corn snake called simba.He/she is a month old and was sold to me at just over two weeks old from a man whose snakes had 11 hatchlings I think they were sold quite early but he seems fine.Since I've had him he's ate one pinkie and is eating every 5 days,he seems overall a very healthy snake and is very relaxed when being handled.Today I brought a viv that is 3ft by 2ft for £25 from Facebook the man who sold me it told me it had tortoise in it before,simba is in a small terranium for now and has got a heat mat.My questions are how would I place a heat mat in the new viv as it doesn't have a glass bottom where as my current smaller one which the heat mat slides into another question is I don't know when to put simba in his big viv as I've read hatchlings/young snakes can get scared in big vivs.Would a heat light be better than a heat mat for him and if so what lights would you recommend,thank you for any help.

Old 08-28-2017, 06:57 PM   #2
nicolefowler2005
Corns really don't need lights as long as you have a mat and enough sunlight during the day so that they know what time of day it is!! Is the new Viv made of wood? Can you take a picture of it?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Old 08-29-2017, 08:24 AM   #3
Jess12313
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolefowler2005 View Post
Corns really don't need lights as long as you have a mat and enough sunlight during the day so that they know what time of day it is!! Is the new Viv made of wood? Can you take a picture of it?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Unfortunatly I can't get a picture to appear on here but the viv has a wooden bottom and no glass except for the doors on the viv I asked a local reptile shop and he said I need a ceramic heater.How long should I wait before putting simba in the man said a year.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:59 AM   #4
Twolunger
Yikes, forget the ceramic heater advice. There's no hurry to move him into the larger viv. You don't state the size of his current viv, but you will know when he needs to be moved.
I'm curious about the statement that the heat mat slides into the current viv. Are you saying the mat is inside the viv? Is it thermostatically controlled so it doesn't get too hot?
If I had the wooden viv I would cut the bottom out, leaving about one inch all around the edges, and have your local hardware or glass shop cut a full size piece of glass to put inside the viv. They can usually round the glass edges too. Use silicone sealer to affix the glass, then any heat mat can be placed under the glass bottom. With a thermostat...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google