CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Calling All Lurkers

Old 12-03-2018, 11:34 AM   #11
Dragonling
I would have been posting more if this had not been absolutely the worst year for me so far. I haven't taken any new photos since summer. My plans for next year are so vague and up in the air...I will be pairing the phet Golden females to their het sire, but otherwise I don't know that I can house very many hatchlings next year. :/

Old 12-04-2018, 10:09 AM   #12
Twolunger
OMG, I hope 2019 is going to be a better year for you. I wondered why we haven't heard much from you or Dolly's Mom lately. Even on my worst days, health concerns, death in the family, unexpected bills, female corns slugging out, clutch going bad, etc, I can sit in my snake room and be comforted handling the corns.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:41 PM   #13
xStaticSnow
I would definitely love to have more discussions here!

I don't have much to contribute to talk of breeding since I've never bred snakes and don't plan on doing anytime soon. I only have my one pet corn now, but have kept plenty of snakes in the past so I don't have a whole lot of beginner care questions either. I think there are still plenty of slightly less conventional conversation topics countering on keeping snakes/corns that could be engaging though.

At the moment I'm in grad school for nonfiction writing and I've been thinking about working on a piece about my thoughts and history of keeping snakes and other reptiles. My undergrad degree is in wildlife biology and my interest in snakes and other reptiles was a huge inspiration for my studies in the field of wildlife bio. I recently read an article written by a favorite short fiction author, Wendy Brenner, which is a profile on Dean Ripa of North Carolina who was famed for keeping a number of venomous snakes. Wondering if anyone might have known him personally? If you'd like to check out the article it's called "Love and Death in the Cape Fear Serpentarium" and can be read online at the Oxford American.

Anyone else have personal anecdotes about their relationships with snakes and other reptiles that go beyond the simple realities of keeping, feeding, breeding, and selling? Has an interest in snakes been a starting point for anyone else in developing other interests or going after certain pursuits in life? Maybe I just seem like a crazy person? Let me know!I really love this forum

Old 12-08-2018, 02:44 AM   #14
Hikari
I was away from the forums for a good long while, since my first corn snake, Lily, managed to escape a little over a year ago. I was pretty bummed about it, and stuck with my ball python for a good long while.

I eventually got bit by the corn snake bug again, and got a baby Salmon Snow corn last month. She is tiny and very pink.

Then today, I bought a snake in need of rehoming from Craigslist. He's an adult..something. I'm trying to see if someone can ID him, cause my best guess is probably some sort of Anery (I posted a thread in the morph forum). He's a good noodle, and I was sad to find out his previous owners were smokers. Poor guy. I had to toss most of the stuff he came with cause it smelled of cigarette smoke (of which I am allergic to), and his tank was old and busted up. Thankfully I had an extra 20g tank lying around. So far I haven't heard any signs of respiratory distress, but I'll be keeping an eye on him. His saving grace may have been that he apparently spent most of his time buried in substrate, because he had no hides (was told he didn't use them), and that may have filtered out some of the nastiness. He has hides now, and is kind of confused about it, lol. Took him a while to work up the nerve to poke his head inside, but now he's slithering in and out of them. I'm guessing he'll settle down more once he gets used to his new tank. It's a pretty drastic change for him, considering the hides and the lack of smoke smell. I'll go through some of my extra stuff too and see what else I can find for him to play with. I know I have some more reptile hammocks hiding around here somewhere.

Old 12-08-2018, 03:42 PM   #15
Twolunger
I love the Salmon Snows too. I almost bought a couple this year, but my collection is getting out of hand again, according to my wife anyway. I'm so glad you managed to get the adult corn and provide the proper home. I cringe when I find out how some of the poor snakes were maintained, if you can call it that.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:47 AM   #16
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
I cringe when I find out how some of the poor snakes were maintained, if you can call it that.
Exactly the reason I am hoping to avoid producing any of the very cheap morphs in the future. Not to say a $500 snake can't also wind up in substandard care, but it's so much more likely to happen with a $20 normal. :/

Old 12-10-2018, 10:49 AM   #17
67temp
Twolunger, is there any particular focus for your collection or a little bit of everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonling View Post
Exactly the reason I am hoping to avoid producing any of the very cheap morphs in the future. Not to say a $500 snake can't also wind up in substandard care, but it's so much more likely to happen with a $20 normal. :/
Sadly with people not producing the cheaper morphs or wholesaling them it's making some of those a little harder to find. Amels are easy to find every where since there are so many different lines but finding a good quality anery is getting pretty hard. Almost everything that's not an amel is 2-3 morphs.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:04 AM   #18
Twolunger
[quote=67temp;1735638]Twolunger, is there any particular focus for your collection or a little bit of everything.

I took over some of my son's corns when he sold all his snakes. He was breeding a lot of different morphs for his wholesale customers, but mainly tesseras and combinations of anery's. I'm gradually replacing all the breeders with colors I like, which means I let at least 10 proven breeders go. I'm concentrating on 3 things I like, lavender morphs, candy canes, and anything pink.

Old 12-12-2018, 03:15 AM   #19
Hikari
Yeah, it is sad to see how people keep snakes sometimes. At least my new boy is getting the care he deserves now. I mean, for what it's worth, they did seem to take good care of him, outside of smoking around him and keeping him is a tank of questionable quality. He's a good weight, and is an absolute puppydog to handle. Amazing temperament. I'm just hoping there won't be any major RI issues popping up down the line.

I was gonna give him more time to acclimate before his first feed with me, but he seems to want none of it, lol. I saw him staring me down as he watched me feed the other snakes the night after I brought him home like 'Food? Where's my food?!', glass surfing, tongue-flicking, and the like. I had been told it was his feeding night the night I got him, but I didn't dare feed him then. Well, my ball python decided she didn't want her second weanling rat, it was small enough for him, and I hated to waste it, so I figured it probably couldn't hurt to offer it to him. He was more than happy to eat, and has spent the last few days digesting without issue.

Today I checked in on him to change his water, the first time I've opened the tank since feeding him. He decided to crawl out of the tank and explore his surroundings and slither around on me a bit. He tail-rattled when I put him back in his enclosure though. Part of me wonders if he's still not too thrilled with his new one yet, with those new smells, new hide things, and paper towel substrate (just til I know he's pooping okay, then he'll get his beloved aspen back). I'm still trying not to bug him too much though, since I know that he must still be a little stressed about some of the new things, but so far I've just been doing my best to read his behavior to let him deal with things on his terms. I know "food" is definitely a-ok with him, at least

Old 12-12-2018, 10:04 AM   #20
Zincubus
Aspen !! I hate the stuff !
Sorry it's one of my 'pet hates' so to speak ..

It's banned in our house as the wife hates how it gets all over the carpets and house ..

It's useless controlling humidity and looks so unnatural !!
I get that it's easily sourced and cheap ... if even 'drains' the colour out of your snakes 'visually'.

I use Orchid bark which is the polar opposite for all the above factors.

Check out these two photos to show the difference..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google