CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

No weight gain

Old 04-25-2019, 08:57 PM   #1
jckyeager
No weight gain

I can’t really understand how it’s possible but my corn snake Molly who’s a couple months old isn’t gaining weight. When i first got her she would eat a pinky from forceps and seemed like a good eater, even taking two on her third feed. On her 4th feed she acted afraid of the pinky and wouldn’t eat. I waited a couple days and left one in her viv overnight and she ate it. She hasn’t ever gone over a week without eating, but refuses occasionally and never eats more than one. A few weeks ago she weighed 17 grams and i weighed her tonight at 16 grams. She appears to be healthy, she usually comes out to roam when the sun goes down and doesn’t mind handling, but the weight gain can’t be okay. Any ideas as to what could be wrong??

Old 04-25-2019, 09:01 PM   #2
jckyeager
Quote:
Originally Posted by jckyeager View Post
I can’t really understand how it’s possible but my corn snake Molly who’s a couple months old isn’t gaining weight. When i first got her she would eat a pinky from forceps and seemed like a good eater, even taking two on her third feed. On her 4th feed she acted afraid of the pinky and wouldn’t eat. I waited a couple days and left one in her viv overnight and she ate it. She hasn’t ever gone over a week without eating, but refuses occasionally and never eats more than one. A few weeks ago she weighed 17 grams and i weighed her tonight at 16 grams. She appears to be healthy, she usually comes out to roam when the sun goes down and doesn’t mind handling, but the weight gain can’t be okay. Any ideas as to what could be wrong??
I forgot to mention she’s in a custom built viv measuring roughly 25x15x8 with a heat mat on a stat measuring 84-86 degrees with three hides and some fake plants.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:18 AM   #3
Twolunger
There are a few things that could be wrong, such as the digestive tract not developed enough to assimilate the nutrients, or poor nutrients in the pinkies. If your male is growing on the same prey items that you feed to Molly that may not be the case, however, nobody can answer the question. I can tell you what I would do. I'd try to get her growing enough to get her to eat small fuzzies. Growth seems to accelerate once off pinkies. I would buy Nutribac df, a product that stimulates the appetite and adds good gut bacteria. I also lightly dust the pinkies with essential vitamins. Mine are from Nature Zone. I try to get my hatchlings off pinkies as soon as possible.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google