CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Planning a DYI Snake rack and had some ?s

Old 11-19-2010, 10:06 PM   #1
carnivorouszoo
Question Planning a DYI Snake rack and had some ?s

I know the floor space requirements but am not clear on overhead or rather, vertical space requirements. Also I am not quite sure what I have in mind is really a rack, more like a multi unit cage? Similar to a bookshelf, but instead of shelves, it would be vivs.

I would want lighting. Can someone point me to some good info on LED lights?

Least expensive but not crummy flexwatt sourse?

Would each unit need its own thermostat or can I control it all on one?

Is it ok to plan all the individual vivs to adult corn standards even if they may at somepoint house hatchlings? Or should I do a hatchling unit and an adult unit?

Thanks for any and all advice!

Old 11-20-2010, 10:47 AM   #2
Blue Apple Herps
Quote:
I would want lighting. Can someone point me to some good info on LED lights?
I've never put light in my viv. I bet something like rope light might work. Others can provide more insight.

Quote:
Least expensive but not crummy flexwatt sourse?
I get mine from Reptile Basics. Top notch in my book.

Quote:
Would each unit need its own thermostat or can I control it all on one?
If each heating element is the same and used in an identical viv then yes you can. However, you can't run 4" and 11" flexwatt off the same t-stat as they have different power requirements. You also wouldn't want to run 11" flexwatt in a small viv and 11" flexwatt in a large open viv as even though they're 11", due to the differences in the vivs, they'll need different operation.

But if they are identical heating elements in identical set ups, then yes you can use just one t-stat.

Quote:
Is it ok to plan all the individual vivs to adult corn standards even if they may at somepoint house hatchlings? Or should I do a hatchling unit and an adult unit?
I generally don't recommend housing hatchlings in a large tank/viv. I start out with deli cups, then large ziploc storage containers, then 12 qt tubs, then finally adult tubs.

I would do separate units. One for adults, and one for hatchlings. It will probably be better in the long run doing it that way.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:09 AM   #3
tricksterpup
If you want some ideas just check out the snake guru's thread.
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71912

Old 11-20-2010, 12:38 PM   #4
carnivorouszoo
Thanks guys! I loved that walk through video. I will have to start with the adult rack then. I won't be breeding next year so a hatchling rack can wait. I do wonder though would 10 inches of hight be ok for each viv? Or do I need more vertical space than that? What do you think? I have 1 adult, 1 sub adult and will be picking up 2 adults on Tuesday. On the other hand I have 2 hatchlings and one on the cusp of counting as a sub adult. Or in easier to understand terms (lol) I will be picking up 2 4 footers on Tuesday, I have 1 3 foot 6 inch, 1 2 foot 3 inch, 1 19 inch, and 2 15 inch (or there abouts, these are eyeball guesses on the ones I have with them next to a yard stick lol).

I was thinking have the floor space 18 inches deep and 3 feet left to right. Or should I do 4 feet left to right since the two new ones are 4 feet?

Old 11-21-2010, 01:36 AM   #5
carnivorouszoo
I've decided against my first attempt being actual vivs built into a shelf like unit, instead I will build a unit that will allow me to slide tubs in and out easily. The largest tub I have on hand though is only 21 qt and is what I use for my subadults. Too small for any over 3 feet. It will be 40 inches tall, 23 inches wide and will hold 7 tubs. Once I get one of the next size tubs I will be able to draw up plans for an adult rack. After I have the adult rack done I can do the Hatchling rack. That one I will design to use the 12 qt tubs.

I have also drawn up plans for a 3 tub mouse rack using the 21 qt tubs Would like to build both asap but am realistic, I will probably pick up the wood for the Subadult rack Monday, not sure when I can get more parts and such, will take some time.

Should I seal the wood before or after it is nailed together?

Old 11-21-2010, 01:50 AM   #6
tricksterpup
lol if you want a nice size tub to use you can try these, may not see your snakes but damn.. make one hell of a rack system.

Assembled Depth (in.) : 24.5 in
Assembled Height (in.) : 7.5 in
Assembled Width (in.) : 35.5 in
Bucket/Tub Capacity : 20.9 gal (US)
Capacity (gallons) : 20.9
Color Family : Blacks
Concrete Tool Type : Mixing Tub/Pan
Item Package Type : No Package
Item Weight : 3.96 lb
Manufacturer Warranty : N/A
Material : PVC
Product Depth (in.) : 36
Product Height (in.) : 8
Product Weight (lb.) : 3.96
Product Width (in.) : 24

located here.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:25 AM   #7
carnivorouszoo
Thank you but those are $11 something each, I can get the 21 qt tubs for$3 maybe $4, and the bigger tubs I want for adults are just under $9. No shipping because I just have to go about 13 blocks to get to the store. And they are clear. Good option for people not too close to a store though. Thank you for sharing!

Old 11-21-2010, 10:44 AM   #8
tricksterpup
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorouszoo View Post
Thank you but those are $11 something each, I can get the 21 qt tubs for$3 maybe $4, and the bigger tubs I want for adults are just under $9. No shipping because I just have to go about 13 blocks to get to the store. And they are clear. Good option for people not too close to a store though. Thank you for sharing!
I think you missed the entire point. they are larger than a 21 qt tub. These are as big as a 3 x 2 foot cage. and you dont have to order them on line you can go to Home Depot and get them. I used the website as a reference.

And to be honest what is 11 bucks being spent on a snake for life? I know people baulk at the cost of caging for their animals but in the long run what lets say $500 on a rack for 10 animals when you will have it for over 10 years and the animals live for 20 plus years?

Old 11-21-2010, 11:40 AM   #9
carnivorouszoo
I'm not balking at the cost of caring for my snakes. I plan to breed so having a subadult rack is actually necessary for my future plans. There is a lot I could do with the money I am going to be putting into these racks so really, I am not avoiding spending money. Just stretching my dollars in a way that works for me. I know you did not mean to but you came acorss as harsh. I plan to have a hatchling rack, subadult rach and an adult rack so cutting costs on the bins (both will work, but the ones I plan on are better for my needs) helps so I can spend more on the lumber to make them to hold more bins. Again thank you for the info, but I don't see that they will work in my plans.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google