CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Big adult & hatchling rack

Old 03-14-2011, 10:47 PM   #1
HazAnga
Big adult & hatchling rack

Ok this may not be big for most of you but it's big for me. I don't have pictures yet, but I'll try and show you the plans tomorrow when I'll try and up load some pix.
It is just under 3 feet wide, it's almost 4 feet tall and it's 2 feet deep. It's going to be big enough to hold 8 Adult Bins and 16 hatchling bins. The Hatchling bins are going to be 4 wide by 4 tall, 2 bins being able to fit into one space.
I've got the plans done up and printed and I'm bringing them to work (I'm a cabinetmaker) and I'm going to ask my boss how much it's going to cost for materials and if I can git it put into production, Cut, Machined (on the CNC machine) then edge banded to cover the exposed edges. Then I plan on bringing the pieces home myself and putting it together at home (as it would be too big to put it in my car ).

It will probably take a while before I git it all brought home depending on how much it will be. But once i git it home it will be a matter of glue (git small air compressor from my dad) pin nail it together to keep it together while i screw it together to keep it square. Add the heat tape and wire it and it's complete

Old 04-16-2011, 12:00 AM   #2
HazAnga
ok Finally I got it cut, machined and edged at work and got the parts home. Unfortunately there was some confusion about the top unit where the hatching bins will be held so i need to add some 5/8" strips on the shelves and cut a bigger back. I got the bottom unit assembled and heat tape and wired on one side. I'm going to have to order some more heat tape because I only have enough for 3 bins and I have 4 bins left to do. I'll probably have to order some more 3" tape for the hatchling racks too because I don't think I have enough.
Well here's some pix.
here's the bottom unit mostly together.

This picture has the 4" heat tape taped down with foil tape.

Here's my Thermostat

And this is pretty much completed (one the one side) with 3 of 4 housed bins
(Top to bottom; Snickers, Mick, and Isis)

Old 04-16-2011, 12:05 AM   #3
HazAnga
I should have the top unit together and maybe wired up (but not plugged in and used until next year)
I can't wait to have it completely finished and for the most part completely wired. I'm thinking of coming up with some sort of switch panel so I can turn off certain bins. Probably group them in 2. Definitely grouping the hatchling bins, they are already grouped in 2's but I would group 4 bins per switch. Any idea's on that guys? Ladys?

Old 04-19-2011, 09:25 PM   #4
HazAnga
ok here's the rest of it, it's almost done, I'm just going to have to cut a couple 4" wide strips that are the length of the whole unit so i can screw them together and make it one unit so the top unit doesn't fall off. I also have to sadder wires to the heat tape then tape the heat tape down. After that I should pretty much be done and just have to get the rest of the bins to fill the empty spots.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:28 AM   #5
HazAnga
So I've got the unit completely together, holes drilled for wiring at the back. I got the braces I did at work on both sides so It's as sturdy as it would be if it was built as one unit. All that's left now is wiring the 3" flexwatt and taping them down, but that will probably have to wait till Saturday when I'm able to hit up the hardware store and get some aluminum duct tape. I might pick up some more bins at some point within the next week or two so then it looks more full then what it is lol.
Here's a couple more pix.

I'm still on the idea of putting the hatchling shelves on switches for each level. Just have to think of how exactly I'm going to do it...

Old 04-22-2011, 02:43 AM   #6
Dustilyn
You did a very nice and professional job. It looks great!

Old 04-22-2011, 10:50 AM   #7
solo1979
That is really nice!!! Can you come to Chicago and do mine too?

Old 04-22-2011, 11:22 AM   #8
knox
Excellent! How's the Hydrofarm working out? I still need to buy one, if for nothing else to have an inexpensive one on hand "just in case".

Old 04-22-2011, 11:24 AM   #9
fatman
sweet job

Old 04-22-2011, 11:38 AM   #10
taxman123
Thats a awesome rack great idea good luck with your snakes.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google