CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Cohabbing Misfortunes.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:04 PM   #41
sycorn26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutengel View Post
I really respect people who can find joy in keeping a smaller amount of corns in a couple of naturalistic displays which need a load of time to set up and maintain. Those are the ultimate snake keepers to me. I am not like that, as most snake keepers are not like that. However, I, as most snake keepers over here do, still want my snakes to be as happy and healthy as they can be within the environment I create for them. Both rack keepers and co-habbers fail compared to the ultimate snake keeper type mentioned above.
Completely agree!

Old 11-04-2011, 05:54 PM   #42
AliCat37
So this is an older thread, however, I went to the petstore today (not naming names but there's a few of these reptile stores in CO.. hmm). I was looking into their baby corn cage and noticed one extraordinarily fat hatchling. My first thought was that they had fed the hatching two large fuzzies. I looked a bit closer and could see the clear coils of another snake INSIDE the baby. I pointed him out to my boyfriend and said "This is why my snakes don't live together." I went to the counter to purchase my crickets for the lizard and made a comment of "Nice cannibal corn snake." And the guy thought I was joking! I told him that the hatchlings were eating each other and two other employees went to look and began to freak out. They removed the other hatchlings and put them in a different set up. Apparently the employees had never ever heard of corns eating each other. >.> The only thing they did know was that he was probably going to die from eating such a big meal. Then they laughed it off and said "Those snakes are so skinny, no wonder they're eating each other!" >.>

Old 11-04-2011, 06:29 PM   #43
schnebbles
That is horrible Ali! I can't believe the workers would say that. (well, yes, I can).

I ran across another pic of a snake eating itself and it was different than the one I saw before. It must happen? Probably so extremely rare but I wonder how they get the snakes tail out of it's mouth or if they can?

Old 11-04-2011, 06:36 PM   #44
hypnoctopus
I probably wouldn't buy any animal from a pet store, but honestly, of the maybe 5 Petcos/Petsmarts I've been to, all of their baby corns have been one snake to one enclosure. And although I've never asked what they're feeding them, there are never any crickets in the cages with them.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #45
v00kimba00v
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnoctopus View Post
I probably wouldn't buy any animal from a pet store, but honestly, of the maybe 5 Petcos/Petsmarts I've been to, all of their baby corns have been one snake to one enclosure.

I don't know what what Petco you're going to, everyone I've been to has at least 4-5 hatchlings in a tank together. Checked the other day at my local Petco and I counted 9. Most were just heads sticking out of the tanbark they have in there for substrate, who know how many others were in there that I couldn't see. I really don't see the point of cramming that many in there when they have 3-4 empty tanks at any given time. and Chico is a small town, there is no way they'll sell that many in any reasonable amount of time.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:17 PM   #46
ratsncorns
I was at an expo a few weeks ago and one of the vendors had a deli with two hatchling corns in it... well, had. One of them was in the process of eating the other. All the guy had to say was that it was strange they were eating each other because only lavender corns do that apparently (these were two normals). Ummm ok? He was obviously clueless.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:35 PM   #47
Christen
I can not believe that.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:33 PM   #48
AliCat37
I was only in there to snoop around to see what they had and pick up some crickets. I'll never get a reptile from them, the last time I was in there they had baby frilled lizards in a beardie set up and the manager told me they could live in a 55 gallon tank. *facepalm* They've also told friends of mine to keep their ball pythons on cedar. Once again, I'm not naming names, but I've gotten better advice from Petsmart and Petco. I hope the little cannibal is going to survive, though he may have already been dead by the time I found him.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:32 AM   #49
Hillybean
Pretty much all the chain pet shops in my area co-hab. The only one that doesn't is Pet Supplies Plus, which is where I got my first snake from.

Yep, I have paid $50 for shipping for two snakes. It was a big box too, but when I opened it up they shared a small deli cup. I was very up set by it because the box was so big it could have fit several deli cups. There was no need for it. I got lucky and the two have done fine (separated now of course).

Old 11-05-2011, 10:25 PM   #50
MegF.
There are so many reasons not to co-hab and none I can think of to do it. It's purely for the human and not the snake. I've hunted snakes in the wild for a very long time and I've never found more than one at a time. Rattlesnakes den up for winter and then move on in the spring. They come together to mate in the fall before hibernating. Corns come together in the spring once they are out of hibernation, garters come together for breeding and then you won't find a pair together following that. In Europe they co-hab. I have to think it's because it's what someone told them to do so they do it. England has only a few native species of snake and I'm sure that they don't live in groups. If nothing else, spread of disease should turn people off of keeping multiple snakes together. Even if you have a large heat area in your cage with multiple hides, I guarantee the temperatures are not the same in each hide. They are sharing what to them is ideal temperature. Zoos tend to co-habitate because they have limited space to display a lot of species. Doesn't make it good for the snakes. They also tend to have HUGE display areas not just small cages like most of us have. I keep large naturalistic cages and every snake has a separate cage. I will not sell a baby to someone who is going to co-habitate..I think it's that bad for the animal. If you can find me a species that is routinely found together in the wild all the time, please let us know. For all the field herping I've done, I've yet to see it and I've never found more than one snake under a hiding area...not even two different species. I'm sure people co-habitate and don't seem to have any problems. I remember years ago someone had posted about how they had been keeping two corns together that seemed to be doing fine, but they decided to give them each a separate cage. The change in the one snake after being placed by itself was dramatic. It's feeding habits improved, it was more active and it generally began thriving better. They did not realize how stressed the animal was until it wasn't anymore. What seemed to be fine really wasn't although there weren't overt signs of distress. Personally I don't think the thread will change minds...maybe...but those who feel that co-habitating is great will continue to do so and those that don't will find this thread justifies the reasons. I could do the same for quarantine. Some people do, some don't but I can tell you horror stories about people who have had disaster when they didn't. This thread might help new owners make a decision one way or another though.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google