CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

DIY My outdoor enclosure

Old 03-27-2013, 09:16 PM   #1
Phil1ooo
DIY My outdoor enclosure

Hi.

I've designed my own outdoor enclosure because I found my Corn Snake loves the sun and hot day so in summer he lives outside. The tank is made using class and Perspex and I have still to design and make my background features. The size is 180cmWx75cmDx80cmH. As you see he loves his water tank inside there which I keep clean using a fish tank filter. In my background I will have a waterfall as well.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:21 PM   #2
Phil1ooo
Other images as they all didn't display.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:18 PM   #3
Phil1ooo
Hope these work

Old 03-27-2013, 11:50 PM   #4
rrowdy
All I can say is Wow!

Well done! Can't see from the pictures but how to you access it?

Again, A very nice design.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:02 AM   #5
Phil1ooo
You will see the white Perspex in the rear of the tank, on both sides are sliding doors.

The specially built table which the tanks site on with roofing insulation between the table and bottom of the tank. The table is on wheels which makes moving it a breeze.

Thanks

Old 03-28-2013, 12:23 AM   #6
AliCat37
Be careful of how hot the tank will get in the sun. She may not be enjoying herself, she might be roasting. So, if I were you I'd move it to a 100% shaded area. But otherwise, that is AWESOME.

.........I thought corn snakes were illegal in Australia?

Old 03-28-2013, 01:04 AM   #7
Phil1ooo
Hi

The tank is kept under a pergola 24/7 and the direct sun light only hits the left side where the rocks are., sort of natural heat rocks you might say. But the snake has a vast varieties of area where it can go of it's own accord. He himself will lay in the sun and then sit in his pool.

I figure all of those options in such a large tank provides him with a more life like atmosphere.

The tank isn't completely finished as yet as I am currently designing the background which will have a waterfall, hides and be climbable for him as he loves to climb. I will also be changing the filter system to one like my fish aquariums which has the filter tank under the main tank which will allow for larger particles to be caught by the larger filter as I do find this one (although good) but to fine for a snake.

This tank won't have heat lamps, heat mats or heat rocks as I am letting nature do it for him. He's been in this tank now for 3 weeks day and night and as far as I can see he is quite content, healthy and mostly very lively.

NO corn snakes are not illegal in Australia.

Cheers

Old 03-28-2013, 05:09 AM   #8
Nythain
I'm so jealous. Amazing work.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:17 AM   #9
diamondlil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil1ooo View Post
Hi
NO corn snakes are not illegal in Australia.
Really? Don't they come under the law banning exotic reptiles as pets?
From Aussie Python. com
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/e...stralia-20154/
From The dept of sustainability and Environment, which regards corns as highly invasive pests
Corn snake found wandering streets
30 March, 2012
corn snake

The Department of Sustainability and Environment (DSE) is urging the public to provide information about the illegal possession of reptiles after a Corn Snake was found in Corio.

The free-roaming Corn Snake was found in a residential backyard on Thursday the 8 March. The snake was captured by a local snake controller and handed into DSE.

DSE Senior Investigator Sam Moore said that Corn Snakes were once well-established in the illegal pet trade and are highly sought after due to their striking coloration and appeal to collectors.

“The discovery of this snake is of concern, as Corn Snakes are regarded as the rabbits of the reptile world and are capable of establishing wild populations,” Ms Moore said.

“Corn Snakes are discrete in their travel and it’s quite possible that this snake has travelled in excess of a kilometer through people’s backyards to its point of capture.”

The species originates from North America and although non-venomous, are deemed a high risk invasive animal with significant potential to establish wild populations and pose a significant threat to agriculture and local biodiversity in Australia.

Corn Snakes are typically a brownish-orange colour with orange/red patterns that have black borders, and usually a black and white underbelly. However, in captivity, they can be other colours such as black and white ‘chequered’ and white/yellow.

“The earlier we detect high risk invasive animals the more likely we will be able to eradicate and control them,” Ms Moore said.

“The discovery of this snake is also of concern because it highlights that there are still people in the community illegally keeping non-native reptiles, with minimum regard to security.

“We are concerned that such people may also be housing more dangerous high risk invasive species and cannot be certain whether the Corn Snake has escaped or been deliberately released into the wild.”

It is illegal to import, keep, breed, trade or release high-risk invasive animals and significant penalties apply.

“We are confident that with help from the public, we can identify people who are illegally keeping high risk invasive animals.”

As far as I understand it no private individual is permitted to legally own corns down under. Zoos and licensed exhibitors can though.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:34 PM   #10
Floof
Legalities aside... The enclosure looks very nice!

However, I'd also be very concerned about temperatures. Make sure you have thermometers in there to monitor temperatures, so you can take action if (when) things get too hot!

I don't know what the climate is like where you are, but I do know that even in the most temperate climates here in the States, a glass enclosure that's hit by ANY amount of sunlight will heat up to dangerous proportions very, very quickly, even on a relatively cold day. Even if the enclosure is in full shade and never, ever is hit by a ray of sunlight, the inside of the enclosure will always be at least as hot as the air temperatures outside. In a hot enough climate, that could still get VERY dicey, VERY fast, considering corn snakes cannot tolerate (at least, not for very long) ambient temperatures above 90F (32C) maximum without suffering the effects of overheating--dehydration, neurological complications, and death are three examples.

Not trying to be mean or pick on you in the least... I'm simply concerned for your snake. I'm sure you're a very caring snake parent, so I hope you'll take our thoughts and concerns into consideration and take the necessary steps to make sure your snake isn't at risk of overheating in your lovely outdoor enclosure.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google