CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

safe paints to use IN my vivarium?

Old 08-01-2013, 02:42 AM   #1
New2this<3
safe paints to use IN my vivarium?

I am looking tk get my first snake in about a month. I want to have some of my baby's hides or bowl or climbing branch etc match mine ( I have hot pink everywhere, a purple dresser, seafoam mirror and lime green map. I have read som other post about paints safe to use on the viv but what about in it? I have plenty of time to let the paint dry and air out so wil a glossy latex basef paint still be safe? I have not seen any negatives about brite colors or unrealistic vivs, did I miss something? Is it better to have a natural viv?

Old 08-01-2013, 08:23 AM   #2
BloodyBaroness
I have a friend who owns the Cage Cartel, and they do all kinds of custom painting inside vivs. Shoot her contact message and ask her what types of paint she uses. She might also have some tips for you.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
HVani
I figure anything paint safe for my reef(salt tank) should be safe for my snake. Basically since everything kills salt water stuff lol. In the reef world kyrlon fusion is the paint of choice. Once dry it is perfectly safe. Seriously people put this stuff in their fish tanks and it last for years and years without issues.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #4
Alicia P
Lots of people make hides then paint them. Water based paint, sealed with a water based urethane (Minwax spar urethane is a great one to use) will make items water resistant enough to be washed but should not be used for water dishes or underwater decor.

Always allow items to fully dry and cure before putting them in the enclosure. If you can still smell them they are not ready.

Go for a matte finish, as glossy makes things slippery and hard for animals to get a grip and climb/slither on.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
New2this<3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HVani View Post
I figure anything paint safe for my reef(salt tank) should be safe for my snake. Basically since everything kills salt water stuff lol. In the reef world kyrlon fusion is the paint of choice. Once dry it is perfectly safe. Seriously people put this stuff in their fish tanks and it last for years and years without issues.
Does the kyrlon fusion come in lots of colors?

Old 08-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
New2this<3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia P View Post
Lots of people make hides then paint them. Water based paint, sealed with a water based urethane (Minwax spar urethane is a great one to use) will make items water resistant enough to be washed but should not be used for water dishes or underwater decor.

Always allow items to fully dry and cure before putting them in the enclosure. If you can still smell them they are not ready.

Go for a matte finish, as glossy makes things slippery and hard for animals to get a grip and climb/slither on.
Will a matte finish make it harder to clean or will it absorb more?

Old 08-01-2013, 01:24 PM   #7
Alicia P
Krylon website http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion-for-plastic/

Old 08-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #8
New2this<3
Thank you bloodybaroness I will definitly contact her.
I am sorry you guys for all of the responses I am still getting used to this lol. And thank you.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #9
Alicia P
Like anything with a matte finish stuff won't just wipe right off, it will require some water and possibly soap, but it shouldn't absorb anything.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #10
HVani
Krylon fusion comes in many colors

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google