CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

DIY Front Opening Aquariums

Old 12-31-2008, 08:15 PM   #1
The Snake Guru
DIY Front Opening Aquariums

Well after several requests I decided to put this together you guys, I hope you find it of use...and please let me know if you have any other questions...as mentioned before I have used this method on tanks from 5 1/2 gals up to 38 gal....but I'm sure it would work for any. The only draw back to this style is unless you have a heated room, you are limited to only being able to use a UTH for heat....placing basking bulbs on the glass will cause them to crack...so keep this in mind please.

Front opening aquarium DIY:

Materials List:

Ό” Plexi or Lexon (In relative size for whatever tank you decide on)
Quality window screen
2.5” Narrow Non-removable Pin Hinges (2)
Cam Lock or Wing Handle Cam (1)
3/16” x Ό” aluminum Rivits (Fastens Hinges and Electrical Panel)
Electrical Panel cutout
1/8”x1/2” aluminum rivets (used for fastening plexi to tank rim)

Tools:

Jig-saw – for cutting Plexi/Lexon
Rivet Gun
Drill with Ό” or better bit.
Phillips Screwdriver (Cam lock assembly)
Adjustable Wrench (Cam lock assembly)

Steps:

- Cut Plexi/Lexon to fit the inside lip of the size aquarium you intend to use it for.
- Trace hole for vent. Use drill for a starter hole for where to start cutting with the jigsaw. Cut vent hole
- Cut window screen to size and rivet the electrical cutout over the top of the screen into the plexi/lexon.
- Measure 3” off the outer edge of the vent frame and mark. Cut plexi/lexon along this line (This will be the hinge point of the top).
- Install hinges – Drill holes in location for the hinges and rivet to the plexi/lexon.
- Attach hinge point side of the plexi/lexon to the inner frame of the tank rim. I use 4 1/8” rivets, silcone or 2 part epoxy would be another viable option. (I never cared for waiting for things to dry though.
- Measure out and cut the hole for the Cam lock, install cam lock.

At this point you should be able to put the tank on it’s side and go. Alterations first time around for me took about an hour, however once you get in a rhythm I’ve been able to turn out these tanks in about 15min.

Hope this helps, and happy constructing!
~B~

Website for the cam locks if you can't find them at Menard's or Home Depot:
http://www.mcmaster.com/
Just type "Cam Lock" into the search they'll pop up.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:19 PM   #2
Gralena
Those look fabulous, great job!! I would never be able to complete something like that, but I'm jealous!!

p.s. You might want to post this in the "DIY Projects" section of the "Husbandry and Basic Care" forum.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:35 PM   #3
LBoz
Brad, those are beautiful! I've been breeding fish for years, so I have mass amounts of glass aquariums. I was wondering what to do with them...now I know! I think I'll use heat cable vs. UTH, though. I have wire shelves that can hold over a dozen tanks, especially without water! Woot! You rock - Thank you!

Old 12-31-2008, 09:15 PM   #4
Eli173
Wow, very well done!

Old 12-31-2008, 09:36 PM   #5
LostNFound
OMG!! this is EXACTLY what I was I was trying to come up with!! thank you!! you just saved me a ton of trouble!

Old 12-31-2008, 11:24 PM   #6
Lennycorn
Cool, but what's the electrical panel cover for??

Old 12-31-2008, 11:30 PM   #7
The Snake Guru
Glad everyone found it helpful!

Quote:
p.s. You might want to post this in the "DIY Projects" section of the "Husbandry and Basic Care" forum.
Ahhhh thank you, I wasn't sure about that, seemed pretty safe here, but I will remember it for next time.

Quote:
Cool, but what's the electrical panel cover for??
It's basically just a frame to hold the screen for the vent flat against the lexon. If you look on the picture it would be that metal frame in the top right corner of the panel.

~B~

Old 01-13-2009, 08:36 PM   #8
Jadie.Glitch
FANTASTIC! What is the estimated cost per lid?

Old 01-13-2009, 10:33 PM   #9
tricksterpup
Brad, thanks for posting this. lol to many people asking me about it.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:49 AM   #10
The Snake Guru
Estimated cost depends on wether or not you have to buy the Lexon/Plexi Glass...LOL I didn't so it only cost me about $10.00 and some time. Guessing about $20ish if you had to buy everything? Mabey a little less.

Quote:
Brad, thanks for posting this. lol to many people asking me about it.
No problem at all! I actually had it up awhile ago...LOL

~B~

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google