• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Will corn snakes eat while they are shedding?

anthony1991

I can't really tell whether or not my amel is shedding. He looks a little more pink than he usually does, so should I hold off on a feeding? I would hate to waste a mouse.

I can't really tell whether or not my amel is shedding. He looks a little more pink than he usually does, so should I hold off on a feeding? I would hate to waste a mouse.

If you would hate to waste a mouse then I would wait.
it will not hurt them to miss a feed. Some will eat while in shed though so it is up to you if you want to try or not.

Like dr73 said, some will eat and others won't. I, personally, don't have an issue with wasted mice. If one doesn't want it, I have plenty of others that wouldn't mind an extra. Ah, the benefits of owning multiple snakes! :D

I know my hypo mot will. I was away for a few days and she went blue and cleared without me knowing. Then I fed her (I will say she wasn't as ravenous about eating that time...but she ate fine). A day or 2 later she shed.

Amels can be hard to tell. When some of mine are ready to shed, they get just a little bit dull, in color. I can almost always pick it up now, ALMOST?!?! If you think they are in the shed, it will not hurt the snake if you skip a week's feeding. It's better to wait to feed them until they are done, anyway.

Good Luck,

Wayne

Most of mine eat when shedding, a couple won't.

It's an individual behaviour and you won't know unless you try it. If it turns up its nose at food two or three sheds in a row, then I'd say you've established it's pattern.

I agree with Wayne, I'd just skip it. The only time I feed a blue snake is _if_ I didn't know the snake was blue before I thawed the food and _if_ I don't have a back-up snake (say for a snake that eats jumbos, I only have two of those and they are both currently on strike). The cure is to buy a second snake!

All of mine eat while in blue and I've never had them regurge for doing so. As for the wasted mice thing, My Voldemort is our garbage disposal(and yes,he's a corn!) and gets any refused mice. He's huge and very very active so it doesn't hurt him to get an extra mouse or fuzzy every once in a while.

Mine is in shed and she won't eat. She's refused every offer of food so I am going to wait until she is completely done. I don't have multiple snakes so a wasted mouse is money wasted.

Mine eats no matter what. Sometimes a little slower than others but she always eats if food is offered. No regurgitating yet either.

I have a wild caught that won't eat while in shed mode, but everyone else seems to do just fine.

I have some that will eat when preparing to moult and some that won't, and some that will eat less than usual and some that change their minds with every shed. For instance my amel hatchling always eats her normal amount when she is in blue, but this last week, she was heavily in blue and only ate one pinkie, not her normal 3.
Since they do that do me I just go ahead and thaw the normal amount and deal with any left overs. It doesn't happen often enough to be a big problem.

Yes...
However, you may want to keep an eye on them and make sure they get there shed off.
My young snow was in shed and I did not notice. I had problems keeping the humidity up in thev tank, So I had a humidity hide in the tank and his skin was moist. He took the mouse, no problem. Then I noticed him rubbing his nose on the side of the tank and started to shed his skin.
The problem was his shed rolled down his body and got stuck, really tight around the mouse. I took him out and snipped the rolled skin so he could finish his shed. Had I not noticed, who knows what could have happend.
Not sure he could even regurge with that skin rolled so tight.

As others have said, some eat in shed and some don't. Some have problems if the eat in shed and some don't.

Doree, my butter, eats whenever food is offered. The trouble is, she'll have a partial regurge if she's even remotely in blue. Boz, the snow stripe motely, has been accidentally fed the day before a shed and been fine.

Since there's a potential for problems, I don't feed mine when they're blue. Better a wasted mouse than an injured snake. Better yet, get enough snakes so that the mice never go to waste!

Back