CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

PANIC MODE!!! SNAKE LOOSE

Old 03-10-2009, 03:19 PM   #1
James_pie
PANIC MODE!!! SNAKE LOOSE

I can't believe it, I woke up this weekend to find my snake missing from his cage.. after his shed. He's a creamsicle, about 9 months old. Any suggestions on what I should do ???!?!

Old 03-10-2009, 03:26 PM   #2
BMueller777
there are many many many past posts on escapees... chances are it'll be somewhere warm within your house i.e. stove, in a sofa, under the fridge.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:37 PM   #3
medusacoils
Don't panic is the first thing. That is one of the worst things you can do. Relax and think. BMueller77 was right on, as far as places to look. Start looking in warm areas, especially in the room he was housed in. Check everywhere and if you think he can't get into something, check anyways. Then fan out into different rooms from there working from the room and moving away. Find some painters tape that is not very sticky and place it, sticky side up, along walls and other edges.

Good Luck

Wayne

Old 03-10-2009, 10:50 PM   #4
tekn50
Get a flashlight and check everywhere, he is probably with in 20ft of the cage. I found mine in a shoe, in the closet. My sister found her BP in a stereo speaker. He crawled right in the port hole. Baby powder lines on the floor can help also. Good Luck

Old 03-11-2009, 02:37 PM   #5
metallica fish
this might sound silly, but this is the way i would do it...

turn all the lights off and sit in the dark with a flash light. switch it on now and agian for a look. it might come looking for you.

cheers
fish

Old 03-11-2009, 03:40 PM   #6
lyndy299
When I've had an escapee (three times, different snakes...turns out those boxes aren't escape proof for the little un's), I follow walls, I walk along from the viv/tub along with the wall looking everywhere...try warm places, strange places (like in shoes, bags etc). Don't just pick up and move things to look underneath, look in them etc. I spent a lot more time than I needed to a few weeks ago because I lifted an aspen bale to look behind it...when the snake was IN the bag.

How long has the snake been missing and are the doors in your house close to the ground or would he be able to go under? You can look everywhere in certain parts of the house and close doors off if he can't fit underneath.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:54 PM   #7
James_pie
all my house doors can be crawled under, so it just makes me sad to think he could be anywhere.. it's a 2 story house with tons of hiding spots and it would literally take me the whole day to just look for him, I don't have that kind of time ... It's been missing for 3 days now, so I'm afraid it's going to be too late when I find him ( someday ) by smelling his rotten corpse ( worst case scenario ) I will try all the above..

Old 03-11-2009, 04:57 PM   #8
danielle
You would be surprised how long they can live in your home. When I was younger I had a garter for years. One day he too got out and I thought that was it he would be gone forvever. More than 6 months later we found him behind a sugar jar much fatter and perfectly healthy. Leave a mouse out tonight in your room on a piece of tinfoil, maybe he will come and eat it- hope he turns up!

Old 03-11-2009, 05:26 PM   #9
dizeedoo
James,
Please don't give up hope. I totally get the time thing, but I've read lots of positive outcomes like Danielle's. One girl found her snake in her undies draw. I'm glad I read all the good posts because if ever Samson gets out I'll at least feel like I have somewhere to start.

I'm looking forward to good news from you.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:33 PM   #10
Caryl
I don't mean for this to sound like an insult, but are you certain that the snake isn't in an odd spot in his viv? More than one person has thought they had an escapee when what they had was an excellent hider in an unusual spot in the viv. Small holes in viv decor items can serve as unintentional hides.

If he's really out, be calm and follow the recommendations given. Do a search for other recommendations, like putting the viv on its side against the wall, baiting him, or building a funnel trap with a 2-L bottle. Odds are good that you'll find your snake in the same room as the viv if you act fast (24 hours or so).

Best of luck.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google