CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Going away for a few weeks, need advice!

Old 12-09-2018, 10:20 AM   #1
Juliusthecorn
Going away for a few weeks, need advice!

I did not know where to post this, but I have an issue I would like to get advice about.

I am leaving my home to drive 2 hours away for the Christmas holidays for about two weeks. I may end up staying there permanently, which would mean I would have to bring the terrarium for the 2 hour drive, If i move the 2 hours away. For now I am just going for 2 weeks, and I obviously do not want to leave my snake for two weeks alone. I will have no one to take care of the snake.

What are my options, as to not stress the animal too much? Can I create a makeshift terrarium in a crate for the two weeks? Please help me out out. I have never done this before. What would I do about the heating?

As of right now, I have the snake in a glass terrarium with wood chip bedding, a water dish and a hide. Heating pad and light as well.

Any advice would be awesome guys! Thank you!

- Victor

Old 12-09-2018, 10:27 AM   #2
Juliusthecorn
Oh I forgot to ask, Can I go away and leave the snake at home or is that a bad idea for two weeks? What do you guys think? I know they can go for weeks without eating. I m aware of that. The concern is the cleanliness and the water getting dirty, as well as the light situation. I do not have a timer on my heat lamp.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:26 PM   #3
Twolunger
You didn't mention the age of your snake, but if it was my snake I'd leave it home. I'd time my feedings so that I could feed it just before I left for the 2 weeks. Your snake could easily handle a short time like that, since he/she would be digesting the last meal you fed. Heat lamps are not a necessity if you use a heat pad anyway, unless the ambient heat in your home is low. If so, just get a timer at a hardware or lighting store. They are very inexpensive. Unless your snake defecates in the water bowl it would be okay for that short time period. Good luck on the trip.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:43 PM   #4
Juliusthecorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
You didn't mention the age of your snake, but if it was my snake I'd leave it home. I'd time my feedings so that I could feed it just before I left for the 2 weeks. Your snake could easily handle a short time like that, since he/she would be digesting the last meal you fed. Heat lamps are not a necessity if you use a heat pad anyway, unless the ambient heat in your home is low. If so, just get a timer at a hardware or lighting store. They are very inexpensive. Unless your snake defecates in the water bowl it would be okay for that short time period. Good luck on the trip.
My snake is about 12 years old. I have left it for a bit of time alone, feeding him, cleaning the cage and adding a second water bowl. I might see if I can get the timer from the hardware store. Thank you.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:27 AM   #5
DeuceRon
Since you've done it before, you already know what to do. The second water bowl is a great idea. My only concern would be the heat. If the power goes out for some reason, he could be in big trouble. Other than that, you've already got it handled. He'll be fine.

We're doing the same in February. Will probably get a couple battery backup devices for the UTH, just in case the power goes out. They will keep the mat going for a few hours.

Old 12-13-2018, 05:38 PM   #6
Zincubus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliusthecorn View Post
I did not know where to post this, but I have an issue I would like to get advice about.

I am leaving my home to drive 2 hours away for the Christmas holidays for about two weeks. I may end up staying there permanently, which would mean I would have to bring the terrarium for the 2 hour drive, If i move the 2 hours away. For now I am just going for 2 weeks, and I obviously do not want to leave my snake for two weeks alone. I will have no one to take care of the snake.

What are my options, as to not stress the animal too much? Can I create a makeshift terrarium in a crate for the two weeks? Please help me out out. I have never done this before. What would I do about the heating?

As of right now, I have the snake in a glass terrarium with wood chip bedding, a water dish and a hide. Heating pad and light as well.

Any advice would be awesome guys! Thank you!

- Victor

As long as the heat sources are regulated by a thermostat there's nothing to worry about .. I've left mine for 15 days with no issues .

I do put an extra ( larger ) bowl of water in each viv .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
corn snake, heating, moving, moving with snakes