• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Having Breakfast with my corn

Is that a scrambled egg it's eating? I know corns can eat eggs in the wild, but I never thought about cooking one. Thanks for sharing.

Scrambled eggs, hard boiled eggs, etc...

Is that a scrambled egg it's eating? I know corns can eat eggs in the wild, but I never thought about cooking one. Thanks for sharing.

Yes it is indeed scrambled eggs. Boiled eggs work just as well. Just cut down to an appropriate portion size four you babies.

Snakes have been known to eat eggs in the wild

Hm, I have some egg yolk powder in the freezer...I wonder if it could be used for scenting.

All I can tell you for certain is that for some reason snakes in the wild will eat eggs and those in captivity will do the same. Boiled pieces, scrambled pieces... have yet to try powdered frozen yolk without the albumen. I imagine it would provide an additional source of nutrients, but would lack the binding agent that albumen provides. Perhaps mix with an alginate source to make it hold its form better?

May I enquire as to why you keep egg yolks frozen in the freezer?

All I can tell you for certain is that for some reason snakes in the wild will eat eggs and those in captivity will do the same. Boiled pieces, scrambled pieces... have yet to try powdered frozen yolk without the albumen. I imagine it would provide an additional source of nutrients, but would lack the binding agent that albumen provides. Perhaps mix with an alginate source to make it hold its form better?

May I enquire as to why you keep egg yolks frozen in the freezer?

Since it's a powder I would only need to sprinkle a bit on the mice.

I put it in the freezer since it's been opened. :p I have no idea how long it might last in the fridge, but it's a fairly large bag so I would prefer to not waste it if possible. I got it to experiment with carotenoid supplementation. Also to help bring a non-feeding rescue back from the brink, but unfortunately she passed before I was able to try it.

Supplementing with eggs

Since it's a powder I would only need to sprinkle a bit on the mice.

I put it in the freezer since it's been opened. :p I have no idea how long it might last in the fridge, but it's a fairly large bag so I would prefer to not waste it if possible. I got it to experiment with carotenoid supplementation. Also to help bring a non-feeding rescue back from the brink, but unfortunately she passed before I was able to try it.

I totally get your idea now, using eggs as an additive and inexpensive nutrient ingredient is definitely a way to go.

Not sure how this pick will come out, but this is my baby eating eggs out of the palm of my hand.

Attachments

• eating egg out of the palm of my hand.png
    eating egg out of the palm of my hand.png
    104.8 KB · Views: 57
This may sound silly, but is it okay to give 'em a small piece every once in a while? I mean, does their digestive system handle grocery store eggs well?

I really like that idea and would love to see if mine will eat them.

This may sound silly, but is it okay to give 'em a small piece every once in a while? I mean, does their digestive system handle grocery store eggs well?

I really like that idea and would love to see if mine will eat them.

Grocery store eggs come from chicken cloaca just like those that you collect from your own yard. But, if you have access to true free roaming chicken eggs I'd get them. The problem is most free roaming chickens are free to roam in a very small area and aren't what I would consider true free roaming chickens. A yolk from a chicken allowed to run free is generally a bright orange and not that dull yellow to orange you see at the store.

Grocery store eggs come from chicken cloaca just like those that you collect from your own yard. But, if you have access to true free roaming chicken eggs I'd get them. The problem is most free roaming chickens are free to roam in a very small area and aren't what I would consider true free roaming chickens. A yolk from a chicken allowed to run free is generally a bright orange and not that dull yellow to orange you see at the store.

You are sure correct about the free roaming chickens, and if you let them scratch through cow flops in the pasture the eggs are really tasty. I know it sounds gross but they are only after undigested grain. However, hawks have become too much of a nuisance and you better not get caught shooting one. The authorities will throw the book at you. So most of us that raised chickens used a mobile pen that could be moved around the pasture.

You are sure correct about the free roaming chickens, and if you let them scratch through cow flops in the pasture the eggs are really tasty. I know it sounds gross but they are only after undigested grain. However, hawks have become too much of a nuisance and you better not get caught shooting one. The authorities will throw the book at you. So most of us that raised chickens used a mobile pen that could be moved around the pasture.

I've actually had hawks swoop down right next to me and take off with some of my bantam chickens I used to keep. Had one drop its catch on the road as it took off flying over the house. Crazy business, but yeah, I believe quality food brings quality results. The results of which are often visible with many animals over time.

Back