• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What sex from tail photos

vanderkm

Wondering if anyone will offer an opinion on the sex of this corn based on these photos. This is a 2.5 year old butter corn. It is going to be probed before the end of the month, but just wanted to get an opinion in advance.

thanks,

mary v.

63winslow_ae_tail.jpg

63winslow_ad_tail.jpg

Tough to tell (the top one looks more female, but the bottom pic looks like a possible male!). All in all, I'd say female, though.

Let us know how it turns out, please.

:cool:

Thanks Darin,
I know how inaccurate any tail exam is and will confirm what this one probes to be. It was sold to me as a male, but as it matured this winter my impression was that the tail was a bit 'girly'. Either way, it is a pretty butter and I appreciate your response. Here is a face shot - a bit prettier than the tail.

mary v.

63winslow_a_march_resized.jpg

Hi, looks male to me, I think the top one looks more male and the bottom looks kinda more female - but im no expert!

Thanks for the input everyone and I hope you are all correct. It was supposed to be a male, but I didn't confirm whether it was sexed by popping or probing and I have bought individuals before that turned out wrong once they matured. I wanted a male, but like him either way. I will have him probed by a friend later this week and let you know if it was right.

mary v.

Well I promised a result of probing and the verdict is in. The butter is a female. Quite disappointing, but such is life.

I had eight snakes checked last night and two snows that were supposed to be females were actually males, so that is more disappointing than having this one be a female. Only four of the eight were sexed right.

The tail appearance was actually a pretty good indicator to me - I suspected they weren't what they were supposed to be and that was the reason for having them probed. So I have a lot of pretty boys for sale in the near future and will be shopping for replacement females.

Thanks for sharing your opinions on a tail photo that wasn't that easy to interpret.

mary v.

I'd love to claim that I said "female" based on absolute certainty from decades of experience in sexing from photographs, but the fact is that I'm wrong about as often as I'm right, Skye! :D

I have little to no problem sexing them by their tails (with a few noted exceptions) in person, but pictures are really tough for me. Something about the perspective of the camera can throw me off in a heartbeat!

By the way, Mary, if that butter being a female is too distressing for you, you could always send her my way! Just letting you know that I'm there for Ya!

:cool:

doh i really shoudl read the rest of the forum b4 i post in future now i look like a dope :) heeh ah well pwease forgive me heh

Thanks for the additional comments. Darin, I appreciate your willingness to 'be there for me in my disappointment' but this butter is actually one of my few fancy corns - and as I recall - you have tons of them. So I think I will hang onto this one for now! Sure wish a few more breeders your way were willing to ship to Canada - love all the great corns you have down there.

mary v.

Back