• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

It’s half-plant, half-animal

The sneaky slugs seem to have stolen the genes that enable this skill from algae that they've eaten.

I wonder if it's something similar to why flamingos take on the color of the shrimp they've eaten. Is it possible that they "borrowed" the chloroplasts from the algae and put them in their own skin cells? It certainly wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened in evolutionary history.

EDIT: Whoops. I didn't realize there was more after those stupid ads.

That's awesome!

Also, when I first saw this thread, I though it was titled "Half paint, half animal." I was thoroughly confused.

I wish humans could do that! Just think how cool that would be? We could spend our days in the sun and people wouldn't starve to death during bad crop years. All the energy and water that would be saved because we wouldn't need those big agribusiness farms to produce food. And we could be green! Ah, maybe some day...

Terri

That's cool. I bet once people start looking for this they'll find that it's more widespread among sea inverts.
Good Point!

I wish humans could do that! Just think how cool that would be? We could spend our days in the sun and people wouldn't starve to death during bad crop years. All the energy and water that would be saved because we wouldn't need those big agribusiness farms to produce food. And we could be green! Ah, maybe some day...

Terri
And we could be green!, or blue w/ tails LOL reminds me of a movie...AVA- something..AVARICE? something like that...

Back