CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

must spread around

Old 06-18-2013, 08:54 PM   #41
dave partington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post

Anyway, back to the topic....

Heck, what REALLY makes someone a reputation in a setting such as a discussion forum? Does time on the playing field really matter? How about the bulk number of posts made? What IS "reputation" anyway? And what SHOULD it be based on?

I'm leaning towards having ONLY what rep points others bequeath to each other as being the sole determining factor. But maybe time on the field and number of posts being a filter to limit those members whose rep points actually will count towards someone else. Basically someone new has to earn the right to participate in that function. And the right would be partially earned by participating enough, via posts, and having been a member here for a measured period of time.

Or does this all sort of just take the FUN out of it all?

And how about limiting negative rep to Contributor members only?

Might as well put everything on the table if I'm going to be changing the rules.
I have no clue how VB coding works, therefore have no knowledge while responding here.

Is it broken? Does it need fixing? I'd rather see age of member returned and who cares about rep points. I'm trading mine in when I have enough for a moth. Or a month. Have to be a really special moth at La Resorto Serpenco. Simply seeing member age seems to be an indicator of parameters surrounding a reply.
Visual age licit's a greater good for the community.
Please do not strip away or change much from the site or I suspect it may lose its original distinctiveness.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:08 PM   #42
Lennycorn
[
Is it broken? Does it need fixing? I'd rather see age of member returned and who cares about rep points. I'm trading mine in when I have enough for a moth. Or a month. Have to be a really special moth at La Resorto Serpenco. Simply seeing member age seems to be an indicator of parameters surrounding a reply.
Visual age licit's a greater good for the community.
Please do not strip away or change much from the site or I suspect it may lose its original distinctiveness.[/quote]

Sort of thinking the same here!

Old 06-18-2013, 09:13 PM   #43
Nanci
No, we want rep reinstated as it used to be. Nothing more,nothing less. Age would be a much-appreciated bonus.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #44
dave partington
I miss "cornsnakes.com 'classic version' ".

Old 06-18-2013, 09:20 PM   #45
Rich Z
The reputation system IS broken. Look at the rep ratings of nearly everyone here. EVERYONE has the max number of green indicators. The numbers are so huge that they really don't mean anything any longer. And with some members just one rep to any newbie puts that person's own rep into 5 or 6 figures in an instant. That HAS to be fixed or the system is pretty much worthless.

As for the age display, that also is pretty much useless, as it is child's play (no pun intended) for anyone registering here to just make up a birth date to indicate any age they want to. And quite honestly, I really don't want people ragging on someone just because they may be just 14 years old anyway. If I remember correctly (which is a 50/50 chance here), that's why I discontinued the display in the first place.

As for the negative reputation, heck I don't know. Yeah it can cause issues, but it can also be an effective tool to let someone know that their style and manner (or perhaps topic matter) is not appreciated by the majority here. Rather than getting private messages or reported posts about someone, perhaps it would be best to make this a member managed function that will flag someone as being a problem poster.

Isn't the purpose of the reputation system to let everyone know what other members think about a particular member's posting habits/techniques/mo? Isn't this EXACTLY what negative rep SHOULD be used for? Does a system that basically shows EVERYONE as having a GREAT reputation really mean anything to anyone? Yay! Everyone here gets a trophy!

If it pisses someone off to get bombarded with neg rep, well, is that really a bad thing, if warranted? Shouldn't, perhaps, management use this tool to look for fire where they see the smoke being pointed out by the membership? As management, do we WANT people here who are racking up large numbers of negative rep? Aren't such personalities toxic to the well being and functioning, the ENJOYMENT of others, of this site?

Yeah, it can be abused, but generally speaking, such abusers are quite likely in the very same category as the persons on the receiving end of the negative rep, and probably should be treated in the same manner.

Just things that have been running through my mind about this topic.....

Old 06-18-2013, 09:23 PM   #46
Nanci
I'd like to think _most_ people aren't liars, though. About their age.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:24 PM   #47
Nanci
And if anything, kids are cut some slack.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:48 AM   #48
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
I'd like to think _most_ people aren't liars, though. About their age.
I wish that were true, but I BELIEVE that it is not.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:07 AM   #49
tsst
Did I open Pandora's box starting this thread? I really just wanted the 'spread some around' part changed.

I use it for a personal note, hey I like that post message type of thing. The numbers don't really mean a whole lot to me. But I can see where it can be abused.

Good luck with whatever decision you make Rich.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #50
Tara80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
And if anything, kids are cut some slack.
I can say that people here are definitely not picked on due to age, from my observation anyway - most people become more tolerant if they are found to be young, sometimes given too much slack

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google