CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

must spread around

Old 06-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #81
Shady
I see.

Well I dont mind the rep being reset as I already have 0, haha.

Also I dont rep anyone because I cant see their rep page so I dont really see a reason as to why. Although I've been helped but a few members on here and would glady rep them.

I think it would be more benefical if you could go to a persons rep page and see what others have to say about them.
Is that already possible and Im just overlooking it?

Old 06-24-2013, 11:10 AM   #82
Tara80
Shady, rep is a personal* thing. If YOU like something that someone helped you with personally, or you thought was just an over all generally good post then you rep them for it. Not everyone is going to agree with what they think is worth rep or not.
Essentially, there is no "rep" page - it's just something the person being repped can see in their control panel.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #83
Nanci
I don't think people would view that favorably. Much of what is said in rep is along the lines of "I'm so glad you said that- I was afraid to say it myself" and so forth. It's private.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:38 AM   #84
Tavia
I don't mind the rep being reset, but was wondering, will that remove all the comments that came along with the rep? Not a big deal either, just wondering.

Most of the rep I give is for a post I found very well worded, insightful or very helpful and didn't want to post a reply thanking that person, generally because one or two people had already done so and I felt that would start to be redundant and take away from the discussion at hand but still wanted them to know that I appreciated what they had said.
And as Nanci said, I often rep posts in lively discussions that I liked or agreed with but felt that publicly agreeing with or adding to would just be wood on the fire and not conductive.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #85
BloodyBaroness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
I don't think people would view that favorably. Much of what is said in rep is along the lines of "I'm so glad you said that- I was afraid to say it myself" and so forth. It's private.
I agree with this.

Rep is more of a private thing.

You can see the rep boxes under a person name and know if they have a high reputation or not.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:51 PM   #86
Shady
I see rep is viewed differently here then other forums I participate in. Where as they are very public.

One example is I go to a memoribilia site for trading and selling. They rep is used to leave feedback on a trader with thing such as fast or slow shipping, condition as noted, good communication, etc. But they also put some like good posts, helped with some info and thing of that nature.

I understand you guys have the BOI, which I understand is very similair to what I described.

None the less, it seems this is more for the frequent posters versus the lurkers. I was just trying to give you guys the view of someone who doesnt post as much.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:14 PM   #87
BloodyBaroness
I guess for this site we don't really need trader rep. Fauna has trader rep, but it's for buying and selling. This is more of a chat site.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but for a chat site, it does not really matter if you see it or not.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #88
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
We used to be able to see the rep number display, but that is turned off. We have discussed the "like" feature in the past and it was decided not to do that.
The number that used to be displayed was nothing more than the "power" the member could wield with their reputation. Since it was based on an algorithm that included factors such as amount of time registered on the forum, number of posts, etc., and it put a burden on the server having to calculate that value every time a thread was displayed, I felt that it didn't warrant the increased server load.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:43 PM   #89
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
The reputation system being reinstated is wonderful news.
I do think however that there should be some criteria...

Unlike what was suggested by Nanci( no offense meant ), I don't think that a person should be rated only because the rating user liked a post... the "like" concept going so strongly in Facebook is hardly a parameter for how seriously should said post taken seriously.

I think that it should serve as an indicator for keepers as to how experienced and professional the person who gives the answer really is- so, ratings in any form should be given for herp-related answers- not politics, not just posting pictures and so forth... but displaying knowledge.

As for negative feedback... is there a way to have it regulated by the admins? It should be rare enough to not cause a huge overload I think... if not, than I suspect that sooner or later, it will be used as means to anger and bash one another. I saw it happening on other forums.
Although on the surface that sounds like a wonderful idea, it would be nearly impossible to write an algorithm that could programmatically determine such content. And I certainly am not going to implement anything here that myself or the mods would have to physically baby sit 24/7 to filter the use of such a function manually. As mentioned before, that page I posted earlier in this thread are ALL of the options at my disposal for the reputation function.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:44 PM   #90
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavia View Post
I don't mind the rep being reset, but was wondering, will that remove all the comments that came along with the rep? Not a big deal either, just wondering.
Honestly, I really don't know. Would that be important to anyone?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google