CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

The Reputation System is gone.

Old 03-06-2005, 10:58 AM   #41
BiLL1024
I think we are better off with out the point system.
The fact, that some one makes a lot of posts, or donated money to the forum. Does not, mean that their advice, is any better, worse, or important than anyone else’s.
Advice here should be taken with a grain of salt.
This is not rocket science we are doing, and there is more than one way to skin a cat. There is no one and only rule for each situation.
Thanks
Bill

Old 03-06-2005, 12:02 PM   #42
CAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLL1024
The fact, that some one makes a lot of posts, or donated money to the forum. Does not, mean that their advice, is any better, worse, or important than anyone else’s.

Thanks
Bill
What brought this up???

Old 03-06-2005, 12:17 PM   #43
oldhand
This thread Cav
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...407#post133407 i presume he means this thread?

Old 03-06-2005, 01:58 PM   #44
BiLL1024
It was mentioned in several posts, that maybe only contributors should give out reputation points. Or get reputation points only if you contribute.
I don’t think that that is a great idea, as per my reason stated.
Reputation is all about giving good advice. Being sociable, and considerate of other people, getting along with others.(At least a good reputation is.)
Not how many posts, or if you donate.

Bill

Old 03-06-2005, 04:09 PM   #45
Tracee
I hope that getting rid of (or altering, if it is reinstated) the reputation system also has an effect on the elitism, if that's the right word, and the general nastiness here just of late.
Ok it's only a forum on the internet but being slated for no good reason - and in the case of some poor folks just for being compulsively FRIENDLY - is ridiculous and sad. Members will end up leaving altogether rather than bother with it. 'Newbies' or unregistered visitors who stumble along certain threads will think twice before they post here at all. Hell, I may well get some backlash for this post, but it's quite obvious to me.

--------
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLL1024
The fact, that some one makes a lot of posts, or donated money to the forum. Does not, mean that their advice, is any better, worse, or important than anyone else’s
Absolutely. A new member or one with few posts may have kept and bred corns for years and have invaluable advice to give. When I first joined up it was because I was worried about my snake, and it mattered not to me whether the responses I got were from people with 5 or 500 posts. Just to have the support and advice for people who need it is what counts.

What a sad situation.. I truly hope this forum can get back to how it used to be. Will browse every so often for the time being, it's much easier to just read the posts that interest one whilst keeping one's trap shut

Best wishes to all.

Old 03-06-2005, 04:15 PM   #46
Rich Z
Bearing in mind that this is purely a subjective distinction, but if somone notices any one person in particular that is being generally nasty, just take note of the various posts you have noted and send the evidence to me. I will look into it and make my own determination of whether they need to remain here or not.

Old 03-06-2005, 05:08 PM   #47
gardenmum
I did like the rep points system, it did give a "sort of" insight for newbies to see whose info would be best to listen to. NOT that those who are newer don't have good info to give; they would just have to earn points from others to show that they were. It isn't/wasn't a perfect system but it was a system. Sadly it just got twisted out of shape.

Fact of Life: Everything in human nature is "flawed." There is nothing that man does or gets involved in that does not have the opportunity to be messed up. Heck, the only things guaranteed in life, as the saying goes, is death and taxes. I am not eager for death and I hate taxes, but they're facts of life. Well, the other guarantee in life is that we will all run into irritating situations and irritating people. It is how we choose to react or respond to such that is our choice. AND it is our choice in how we respond to the "reprimand" that we may receive. But I have a feeling this mess would not fast be repeated. I think the message has been spoken pretty loud and clear.

I wouldn't mind seeing the reps brought back, but maybe under the situation of only positives as you suggested, Rich. Or whatever way is thought to be best suited. But I am content to go with the flow either way, brought back or not.

I understand that you would not want to be pestered for petty bickering and childish fighting and anything that would cause such an action would not be wanted. I think you do a great job with this site and also it is great that you let this forum be free of the "heavy" rules that you could place on it. I suppose there will always be situations like this arising since there is much freedom on this site, but I hope that they are very few and far between. Whatever your choice is, I thank you for the work and time you put into this.

That is just my .02 cents on this part of the subject.

Old 03-07-2005, 10:29 AM   #48
Cornfan
I have to be honest - I never paid a blind bit of notice to the rep points. A variety of answers from all types of individuals gives a more rounded view of a subject. If I give advice then people can take it or leave it at their own discretion. Likewise when I read through other people's advice I use my own discretion on which would work for me or not. That, to me, is the beauty of forums.

Old 03-07-2005, 10:53 AM   #49
ghosthousecorns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracee
I hope that getting rid of (or altering, if it is reinstated) the reputation system also has an effect on the elitism, if that's the right word, and the general nastiness here just of late.
Well said, not all of us who post on the forum are as experienced and it is a great place to learn, but I have always been bothered a bit by what I call "snake snobbery' that is, when experienced members jump all over the newbies and make them feel unwelcome. After all they were new once and someone helped them! We can't all afford hundreds of fancy morphs and huge racks full of breeders right off the bat but that doesn't make us or our posts any less valid. Maybe not having the rep points will make it better. I've wanted to say this for a while actually, it feels good to get it off my chest!

Old 03-07-2005, 12:07 PM   #50
Itsnowingcorns
I know what you mean shed'n my skin. Personally I do miss the rep point system purely because it was nice to see others' feedback. Not for the little number or number of green boxes, but to see what others thought of your posts. Is it possible to make it so people can give feedback but for it not to show on rep points?

On a side note, us having to pay for the site will cause a major drop in members I think, I for one won't be able to come onto the site anymore...

Rich did what he thought was right and would help him manage the site easier, remember we wouldn't have it at all if he thought it was too much bother. I trust his decision.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google