CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Contributing...

Old 06-12-2005, 06:07 PM   #21
mbdorfer
I'm with CAV, the icon is kinda cool, but let's face it, it ain't worth paying for!
I contributed for these reasons, I like the site, I like Rich, and I happened to have an extra $25 at the time I've had way more than that amount of fun here since I registered. Just trying to help out with the expenses

Old 06-12-2005, 06:13 PM   #22
Mary-Beth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menhir
What I dislike is that fact, that since the whole thing started it got more and more into threads with newbies and signatures with the intention "we have to help this board because we have to give something back". And excactly the feeling that is transported by this statement is different to what you describe as paying for service and what Rich describes as "being slightly profitable".
Don't you think?
I'm sorry but I can't help thinking that this reply is about ME. Could you please read my signature area and tell me where it says that "we have to help this board because we have to give something back"? It only asks if you'd like to.

The reason I added it to my signature is because when I decided I wanted to become a contributer I didn't see a link anywhere, but I knew I'd seen one before. It was in another members signature (couldn't remember who) and he hadn't posted in awhile so I couldn't find it. I added it to my signature because I didn't what anyone else to have the same problem if they decided to become a financial contributer. It just happend that a few of us all did it at the same time. I imagine it was for similar reasons.

Old 06-12-2005, 06:33 PM   #23
Drizzt80
Sorting through all the other excellent responses, and the initial inquiry, I see this as coming down to two things that are felt to be separating contributors and non-contributors: Editing and For Sale ads. Regardless of how much you feel Rich makes in sales because of his 'advertising' by having this board, there is really no argument or discussion to be had here:
1. How is editing a 'right' that everyone should have? I've also been to other forums, some allow you to edit, others don't.
2. Why on Earth should Rich, or anyone else for that matter, allow someone to compete against them financially for free?!

Basically, you do not lose out on anything at all by not contributing to this site. Be a little more careful before hitting that 'post reply' button so you don't need to use the edit function, and if you decide to sell animals here, best contribute. It's pretty simple really.

As a side note, for the most part, contributors "put their money where their mouth is" in my opinion. As a newbie coming in 2 years ago, it would have been a bit easier/quicker picking out some of the better sources of information from the bad. (This doesn't mean nor imply that just because you are/aren't a contributor that your information is good/bad. It means that the majority of contributors IMO right now generally have positive, correct, information to supply to discussions.) Trolls and bad apples aren't going to cough up a donation/contribution as readily either.

Proud to contribute, and not a snob because of it,
D80

Old 06-12-2005, 06:38 PM   #24
carol
So it just sounds like you are feeling like no one thinks you contribute because you don't have a coin? Is that your point? Seriously, I am not trying to come off rude, I am honestly asking if that is the problem addressed. It sounds like if we didn't have contributor coins but instead payed fees for certain features, like edit and classifieds you'd be OK with that? Is that your feeling? Maybe all those people should change their sigs to "Become a Monetary Contributor".

I personally wouldn't mind if I didn't have a coin. I contributed because I upload pics like crazy on this site, and once in a while due to my forgetfulness, sometimes the same pic twice. This has been VERY valuable to me recently when I had a system crash and lost a lot pics. I have been able to restore lots of them because they have been faithfully supported here.

Quote:
And exactly the feeling that is transported by this statement is different to what you describe as paying for service and what Rich describes as "being slightly profitable".
Don't you think?
He did not say it was "slightly profitable" he said that he hoped one day it would pay for itself or become slightly profitable. I have no doubt that at this point in time given hours and money the site does not pay for itself even factoring in the free advertising.

It is GREAT you are offering a nice service and advice for free, but just because you offer a free service does not obligate everyone else to do so.

Old 06-12-2005, 07:48 PM   #25
Hurley
Well, as I recall, the editting your post feature had to be yanked because of abuse by trolls and others of that ilk that would post something, get a huge discussion going, and then get mad and yoink their posts or change their posts to take away or change their meaning to somehow make themselves look better or be able to claim "nope, didn't say that, see?"

It was my impression that the edit feature was reinstituted for contributors because most people who care enough to donate a puny $25 aren't the typical ones abusing the system. (standard disclaimer: No, that doesn't imply that all people who don't have the "coin" are horrible, bad people and can't be trusted with the edit button.)

Re: the restricted access to placing for sale ads (when did this happen, did I miss that thread?) - I don't see how this is a bad thing, either. Newspapers charge for advertising....yellow pages charge for advertising... heck, Kingsuck charges for advertising and no one would expect them not to. Somehow the internet has turned into "I shouldn't have to pay for something because I want it to be free." To me, it's worth it to advertise on a site with such a high traffic rate and with the good group of people we have here. If there's a better group of corn people in one spot on the net, I haven't found it.

As for the reputation issue, different verse, same as the first. It's the "reputation system" threads revisited. We already got the ability to give a disapproval rating taken away because of abuse of the system and sand-throwing. Sad, that. I honestly doubt that most newbies coming in here are going to stake their opinions of anyone by the fact that so-and-so has a coin, 876 rep power, and fifty green dots. They'll do like most do and read through threads and decide for themselves based on content and contribution. I don't see how it's an issue.

The coins are nice to me because I get the warm fuzzies seeing a new person kicking in. I guess I fail to see how Rich sending contributors a public thank you is a horrible thing. If you are one of those people who are publicity-shy or just don't want the coin, but want to contribute...there's no one stopping you. A simple e-mail would solve that one.

I guess I just don't have a problem with paying for services rendered (banner ads, for sale ads, subforums, web hosting), I don't have a problem with someone taking voluntary contributions, and I don't have a problem with that same someone giving a couple of minor 'perks' that don't change the content of the site...incentive vs. thank you...I fail to see the evil in either intention.

Menhir, you've contributed a ton to this forum and the point you raise is good for discussion. I'm going to sit the opposite side of the fence on this one, and we'll all go on. I honestly wouldn't think any different of you or your site if I popped on there and saw a "make a donation" button on your calculator. Heck, I'd probably donate to it for the effort and the use (if I used it...but we've had this conversation before, too. ) The only thing I see withheld to "non-contributors" is the ability to post for sale ads. The edit feature got taken away a long time ago. Nothing has changed, there. I doubt Rich would have given it back due to the problems we've had with trolls abusing it.

Anyway, no one is saying you have to contribute. No one thinks less of you if you don't...that's a choice. No one is going to think your advice is somehow any less helpful than anyone else's.

To each his/her own.

Old 06-12-2005, 08:14 PM   #26
Joejr14
Quote:
Originally Posted by princess
I have to say that I'm really feeling that too, especially from one member in particular who seem to be relishing the fact that he gets extra privileges and is rolling in it as if he's done something he should be really proud of.

I read this and wonder if this quote was made about me? If so, I'd prefer to just be called out by name instead of suggestion.

About the contributor aspect of this, I'll say this. I doubt that anybody here joined to get a nice little 'coin icon' to be cool. I joined because I spend an immense amount of time on this website and feel that I should contribute to help Rich out with the costs of this website. I might be a broke ass college student, but for $25 a year and slightly over $2 a month, I can handle that. Nobody here can convince me that they do not have $25 to pony up.

I don't post for sale ads, and I don't really edit my posts, so those were not the factors for joining. I was actually pretty upset over the fact that the BOI went to pay only to post.

Regardless, I know what type of work load that Rich has, and that his time is better spent in the snake building than sitting online and giving us all access to the best info on the web. He should not have to take all the costs on himself, in my opinion. Like I said, with the amount of time I've spent on this website and the amount at which it's helped me out, $25 is a steal.

Old 06-12-2005, 08:44 PM   #27
Mary-Beth
Changing signature from "Want to become a contributing member? Click here!" to ...

Old 06-12-2005, 09:05 PM   #28
CAV
Starting to sound like sour grapes now......

Quote:
That's nice and easy but ignores the difference between letting people pay for a service or hiding the will to benefit from the board behind a "help the board to stay alive" message.
It has nothing to do with being "nice and easy". Even you must agree that was a completely true statement, was it not?

Quote:
What I dislike is that fact, that since the whole thing started it got more and more into threads with newbies and signatures with the intention "we have to help this board because we have to give something back". And excactly the feeling that is transported by this statement is different to what you describe as paying for service and what Rich describes as "being slightly profitable".
Don't you think?
No, I honestly think you're point is without merit. I read just about every post on this forum, and not including a few joking remarks made by select individuals, I just don't see the raging "in your face" sentiment that seems to be troubling you. If you can actually substantiate your claim with links to the offending statements, I'll be happy to make a retraction.

Quote:
And with that feeling already in my head - and be sure, I may be one of the only ones talking about it here, but my mail account tells me that more people feel so - I'm kind of dissappointed that next to NOT having the coin and therefore exploiting RichZ, I'm starting to have less rights and functionality than the "coin" people have.
Right….those unspoken masses, yearning for a champion to speak for them. Thank goodness you stepped up when you did.

Again let's review "the rights" in question:

1) Sales adds that you (by your own admission) can't and don't use
2) An edit function that doesn't in anyway hamper your ability to participate in any thread which suits your fancy.

Nope, I just don't see the disenfranchisement that you claim to be facing.

Quote:
Wouldn't it be a better idea to describe the "contributor" thing as an extra SERVICE that people can buy. This service could include an own subforum and the ability to sell animals.
Wasn't that the basis for your complaint to begin with??

Quote:
P.S.: What would the community do if tomorrow all genetic geeks include a donation button saying "pay us our time or we don't answer genetic questions completely anymore, you just get slightly reduced answers"?
I'm sure the snakes will continue to eat. breed and life will go one. Thankfully, there are more than a few members (which are just as knowledgeable) that don't feel the need to use titles like "genetics geek".

Old 06-13-2005, 02:09 PM   #29
Gronk
Quote:
I'm sorry but I can't help thinking that this reply is about ME. Could you please read my signature area and tell me where it says that "we have to help this board because we have to give something back"? It only asks if you'd like to.
Actually Mary-Beth...best assumption would be that Princess's comment was about me . I have only a couple years experience with corns, tho I've been a forum member since '03. I just never posted a lot because I was listening and learning.

If it is about me...I've never had a problem making friends and don't need to "push a contribution" to be accepted by Rich..or anyone else here. I stated my reasons for contributing and why I think it's a worthwhile thing to do. I added a link to contribute to my sig because I found the contribution area thru DanD's sig. Thought it might help those that wanted to contribute.

I've also NEVER said anything that would lead a person to make any kind of an assumption I was "rolling" in having extra privileges.

Still my assumption has to be it's about me.

I guess being friendly makes me a "want-to-be"..sheesh I guess we're all back in high school.

Old 06-13-2005, 02:16 PM   #30
CAV
Angry It is an outrage that anyone should feel singled out by this ridiculous thread

I don't think it was directed at you Mike. The fact that someone derives their self worth from a "shiny thingy", OR THE LACK THEREOF........is just sad and pathetic.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google