CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Moderator(s) needed here....
Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 12:25 PM   #1
Rich Z
Angry Moderator(s) needed here....

I was just reading through this thread -> http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45961 and came to the conclusion that it is finally time that I put in one or two moderators on this site. The crap I am seeing is GOING to end. Read that thread and watch the antagonism going on in there.

So here's what I want in a moderator or three:
  • Will be here frequently enough to be effective and cover as many of the posts as possible. More than one may be needed, of course.
  • Able to be impartial and fair. WHO makes a post is irrelevant. The CONTENT is what matters.
  • Able to take the abuse that such a position will entail. There can be some risk to your own business and sanity, of course. YOU will be the bad guy to everyone you have to reprimand.
  • Can be fairly autonomous. I don't need someone contacting me about every little issue. I will set up a special forum for mods and myself to discuss especially thorny issues, but for the most part I want someone who can do what needs to be done without my having to sit in the back seat giving directions all of the time.
  • Must be someone(s) who are already respected here in this community and the majority of the members here will support their nomination to this position.

So here's what I want to do. Using this thread, I would like any volunteers to chime in as well as members to make nominations of other members they think would be qualified for the job. I'll give this some time, after which I will create a multiple choice poll of all applicants. The poll will run for a reasonable amount of time, and based on the votes cast on the candidates, will select from one to three members to be moderators on this site.

Some will not agree with this decision, of course, but after viewing that thread, it is apparent to me that some people are hell bent on being antagonistic to other members here and that HAS to cease. The moderators WILL have the capability of banning other members, and will be instructed to use that power sparingly but encouraged to use it as necessary.

Of course, there is always the chance of abuse by a moderator, which is where I will step in as needed. I will not entertain frivolous claims, so I suggest anyone coming to me with such a claim to make CERTAIN all their ducks are in a row and they are prepared to send me comprehensive evidence to support that claim. I want DETAILS, not vague unprovable claims.

Anyway, I do hate to have to set this site on a more structured and controlled course, but it appears that some members here are giving me no choice in the matter. If anyone has in mind to make this site just unpleasant for other members, I will be only too happy to see you booted out of here for your efforts. Enough is enough.

So please, let me know who wants to apply for this job as well as who you would LIKE to see there.

Thanks. And to all of you affected by the antagonistic crap, I apologize for not stepping in sooner. I had hoped it wouldn't be necessary on this site. So as they say, "My bad"....

Old 02-03-2007, 12:36 PM   #2
diamondlil
I'm on here fairly often, I think I'm mature enough to help, so I'd be happy to moderate if you think I'm suitable, Rich

Old 02-03-2007, 12:42 PM   #3
DaemoNox
I'm always willing to help; I'm supermod at www.reptileforums.com, ssnakess.com, in reptichat now, as well as a bunch of smaller places; so it's all not new to me.
Also I am here just nearly all day long.

Old 02-03-2007, 01:23 PM   #4
Roy Munson
Hi Rich.

I re-read that thread, and I think it would be helpful for potential mods and members alike if you gave us your opinions on what went wrong in that thread. I haven't seen any temp-bans issued to the participants (yet), so I'm genuinely interested in how you view the exchange. I definitely see problems in the thread, but I don't know if my view lines up with yours, and I'd like to know.

Some may view the attempts by some members to get the original poster to stop using chat-speak and improve her writing/spelling as antagonistic. While there may be a hint of it, I was more put off by the o.p.'s dismissive and rude replies. I know you didn't author the following, but you must have approved it, or it wouldn't be stickied. How do you feel about members attempting to correct the writing styles that this passage discourages?
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Members Sticky
3) PROPER SPELLING AND GRAMMAR – This is a VERY important thing. If your posts and questions are filled with misspellings and poor grammar, you won’t be taken too seriously and no one will want to read your posts. This means you won’t receive nearly as much help. A little effort goes a long way. Chat speak in posts is typically not well received.
If you’re not a great speller, there is a spellcheck you can use before submitting your posts. If you’re not a grammar expert, just make sure you capitalize the right words and use periods/question marks.
Here are a couple of other passages from that stickied document. I'm wondering who you think crossed the line in that thread, and who (if anyone) you think deserved the 3-day ban that these passages describe. In my opinion, there were a small number of posters coming close to the line, but only one crossed it. What do you think?
Quote:
7) CROSSING THE LINE - Members who let disagreements get out of hand, post inflammatory responses (personal attacks), or use foul language will receive a 3-Day ban from the forum. This is a time to cool down, collect your thoughts, and come back and become a valuable contributor to the community. If it happens again, you will receive a permanent ban. It may seem harsh, but rules have to be in place to keep the forum a positive place free of animosity amongst its members.
Quote:
5) FOUL LANGUAGE – Cursing is not only ill-received by forum members it will also earn you a 3-day banning from the forum. If it continues you will receive a permanent ban period.

Old 02-03-2007, 02:04 PM   #5
TripleMoonsExotic
While I don't believe my posts were antagonistic, I do apologize for continuing the thread with my posts. I do not believe the thread was handled well by some members, but I will not point fingers as it is not my place. I actually did skip most of the posts on the thread, because I had no interest in getting involved in the whole chat speak argument.

At that, I am 100% willing to offer myself as a "candidate" for a moderator position. I believe I have handled Fauna's Cornsnake forum moderation well and would like to help you here as well.

Quote:
Will be here frequently enough to be effective and cover as many of the posts as possible. More than one may be needed, of course.
I am available at all hours of the day and am online frequently. I practically live on my computer when I am not taking care of the animals or working (pathetic, I know).

Quote:
Able to be impartial and fair. WHO makes a post is irrelevant. The CONTENT is what matters.
Agreed. I believe I have shown that I can be impartial on Fauna despite my personal feelings about certain members.

Quote:
Able to take the abuse that such a position will entail. There can be some risk to your own business and sanity, of course. YOU will be the bad guy to everyone you have to reprimand.
Been there, done that with Fauna (and survived! ).

Quote:
Can be fairly autonomous. I don't need someone contacting me about every little issue. I will set up a special forum for mods and myself to discuss especially thorny issues, but for the most part I want someone who can do what needs to be done without my having to sit in the back seat giving directions all of the time.
Can do! As long as we have the opportunity to discuss serious issues with your privately and/or with fellow mods, I believe this system could work very well here.

Quote:
Must be someone(s) who are already respected here in this community and the majority of the members here will support their nomination to this position.
No comment.

I would also like to nominate Dean & DAND... If they'll accept...

Old 02-03-2007, 03:00 PM   #6
cornsnakekid92
I will be one, besides this last week, i am normally here at least 5 times a day. If you do not see me fit for the position i understand. I would also like to apologise for my involvement in the thread.

Old 02-03-2007, 03:02 PM   #7
cornsnakekid92
sorrt i acidentally hit sumbmit reply instead of spell check and i still wanted to add more. I Also have had issues with users in the past but i do not hold any grudges( me and Dean went at it a while long while ago). I am the youngest child of four, i can take abuse.

Old 02-03-2007, 03:12 PM   #8
attackturtle
Talking

I think DaemoNox would be a perfect choice for a mod.

Old 02-03-2007, 03:43 PM   #9
DAND
Rich,

You can toss my name in the hat. I'd be glad to help out here too.

Old 02-03-2007, 04:32 PM   #10
mbdorfer
I would also be glad to offer my services if needed.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Closed Thread