CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

"What's My Morph" madness!

Old 05-29-2008, 11:41 AM   #11
LBoz
Didn't offend me, bitsy. We all gotta laugh at ourselves sometimes.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:52 AM   #12
ghosthousecorns
I don't know, this thread made me smile. Though I would not dare tell somebody their snake is ugly, there's been a few where I think "what's special about that one?" But the answer is that the ugly petco snake has made a new convert and snake owner to the site who will probably end up wanting more and nicer snakes if they are true addicts like most of us. The common lowly normal is somebody's beloved first corn snake and that is worth more to them in a way than the expensive fancy one might be to someone who has racks with hundreds of snakes and for whom the novelty might have faded a bit..
The thing is when the "oldies" get tired of answering questions there are always what I would call "older newbies" willing to step in and take up the torch. These are those who joined a year or so ago, asked all the same questions, and now that they know the answers they can pass on that knowledge. As long as they don't do so in a condescending way and remember they were in the same place not that long ago.
I don't answer too many what's my morph questions, but it seems like someone always does. These people deserve recognition for taking the time to do so.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:01 PM   #13
LBoz
^I think that's an excellent point. I own a forum and I rarely answer the newb questions anymore for exactly the reason you stated. The former new kids love that feeling of spreading their wings and answering those questions, and I think that's awesome! We have a special thing we do called "Spotlight On....." and pick a new person every month to profile. It's usually those kids that are now feeling confident and really start working the site that get recognized the most. As an oldie there, I get to the point where, if I see one more "Is this ich? How do I get rid of it??" post, I'll scream!

Old 05-29-2008, 03:47 PM   #14
HanneysCorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff View Post
If you don't like newbie questions and posts, pass them up and don't open them.
Yup, that's exactly how I look at the situation. There is always someone who will take the time and have the patience to answer them.

I find it goes in 'waves' myself. You'll see the same kind hearted members patiently answer every and all questions to get newbies started on the right foot in this hobby. After awhile, you'll see one or two drop out from that self imposed duty, and a few more 'fresh faces' jump in to take over.

It's the dynamics of forum life.

JMHO.

Ruth

Old 06-01-2008, 04:07 PM   #15
kathylove
I get A LOT of those questions emailed DIRECTLY to me. I always try to answer all emails, even if just a sentence or two. Unfortunately, the photos are often so blurry or so far away that I can barely tell it is a snake.

But if I can ID it, my most common answers are "It looks like a very pretty, but normal corn." And "It looks like a very pretty, but typical, amelanistic (or 'albino') corn". I would say "pretty" no matter what - helps to let them down more easily, and since "pretty" is a subjective term that I am sure they will agree with concerning their pet, I am not lying to them, even if I think it is quite ugly, myself.

People like to identify things, and to think they have something with a special name. I do myself, lol! If you think corn keepers are overly optimistic about their normal corns, you ought to hang out on the ball python forums! Seems like practically EVERYONE who buys a ball python thinks it must be something other than a normal. Maybe it is because so many of the BP morphs DO look kind of normal, at least to me (and many others, obviously, from the posts I see)!

Old 06-01-2008, 06:04 PM   #16
crackerhead
Bitsy, I got a laugh out of your post. I'm glad you choose here to vent your frustration instead of losing it in "public." Sometimes it's the things left unsaid that we all have felt at some time or another. And Kathy, God bless your patience! I, myself, emailed you a question years ago about a weird, what I thought looked sickly, baby that came out of a ghost corn clutch. Turns out it was a snow! I wasn't expecting anything other than ghosts. I was not fortunate enough to know about this site; don't even know if it existed then. You promptly answered my question and ever since I sing your praises with that story! When you are new to things and especially in the snake world, not many people are in the general populace that will talk snakes let alone know any answers. I see it all the time at reptile shows. Newbies that glom on to me and riddle me with, by now questions that seem to be the most inane. I try never to scream and pull my hair out even though sometimes I'm doing just that on the inside!
Terri

Old 07-05-2008, 03:54 AM   #17
v_various
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathylove View Post
I would say "pretty" no matter what - helps to let them down more easily, and since "pretty" is a subjective term
not at all, it's a scientific fact that my normal is the CUTEST snake ever

I don't mind the questions so much, but when they don't get it? That's worse. On a different corn form, one girl was convinced she had an RO, her argument was "I asked him to sell me an RO, I just asked for one without thick white borders because I don't like those so much", the thing had less white than my Amel Boy. And the girl with the Everglade rat who was convinced she had an sunglow corn...never mind the fact his eyes weren't even red (and it was so obviously an everglade rat...I don't think she ever believed me).

*sigh* I'm not even that corn-savvy.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:18 AM   #18
ComoxCorn
As a corn newbie (not new to snakes though) I've found most people were very accomadating and patient with some of my "inane" questions when I first registered here. Now when I see those same questions getting asked, I realize a good number of us newbies experience the same concerns or curiousities.
I've learned a lot from the seasoned breeders in a short period of time, and I'm thankful. When I signed up here, I owned one corn, I now own eight, with six more on the way. It's nice to know that no matter how dumb the question might seem, there are always experienced owners willing to share a little insight to get me headed in the right direction. Just want to give a newbie thanks to all of you.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:21 AM   #19
ComoxCorn
Oh, Kathy....a dumb newbie question..do your pretty corns cost less?

Old 07-05-2008, 12:50 PM   #20
SnakeCreations
Quote:
Originally Posted by HanneysCorn View Post
Yup, that's exactly how I look at the situation. There is always someone who will take the time and have the patience to answer them.

I find it goes in 'waves' myself. You'll see the same kind hearted members patiently answer every and all questions to get newbies started on the right foot in this hobby. After awhile, you'll see one or two drop out from that self imposed duty, and a few more 'fresh faces' jump in to take over.

It's the dynamics of forum life.

JMHO.

Ruth
A very good opinion at that Ruth! I agree completely. I personally don't have the time to go through all the posts, so hit the "new posts" button and cruise through the threads that i think will interest me OR if there aren't replies to a certain newbie question or a new member post, I'll try and respond. Most are sweet and nice, so don't bother me a bit.

The only thing that truly bothers me are people who ask for advice, then try to argue the advice and proceed to not follow it. Yet, continue to contact you for MORE advice. whatever. BLECH

((huggss))

-Tonya

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google