CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

503 Service Unavailable when making new thread

Old 06-12-2008, 01:23 AM   #1
Bram
503 Service Unavailable when making new thread

I know the website has had some changes recently... I've been getting these errors when trying to post a new topic in the General Chat board. I've been trying on and off for the past couple of hours, always the same thing. I get the 503 first, then if I go back and try again I get the second error.

503 Service Unavailable
The server is temporarily busy, try again later! Powered By LiteSpeed Web Server
Lite Speed Technologies is not responsible for administration and contents of this web site!

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 94371840 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 524288 bytes) in /home/corns/public_html/forums/includes/functions_search.php on line 197

I'll feel dumb if it's simple and my fault.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:38 AM   #2
Bram
Found the problem. I had "snake" in the title of the thread. Removing that single word made it all work. Has the forum search function mentioned in the error hit its limit for the word "snake" in topic titles? Weird.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:38 AM   #3
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram View Post
Found the problem. I had "snake" in the title of the thread. Removing that single word made it all work. Has the forum search function mentioned in the error hit its limit for the word "snake" in topic titles? Weird.
??? That certainly doesn't sound right to me. It's not like the indexing table can fill up with a certain key word. Or can it?

Old 06-12-2008, 03:15 AM   #4
Bram
From what I've found the forum does a search as part of the "Similar Threads" function that appears at the bottom of each thread page when a new thread is created. I've noticed the 100 result hard-limit when a user does a search, but perhaps that doesn't apply when the forum is searching itself.
Given that this is a cornsnake forum it just runs out of memory for results when trying to search the entire database for "snake".

Possible work around here:
http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...188#post692188
Similar to the 100 result limit.

Edit:
I'm sure you wanted another reason to muck about with the server.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:53 PM   #5
Rich Z
Yeah, I just tried a test post myself and got that error message. Sheesh.... Just what I need..... one more headache...........

Old 06-12-2008, 02:12 PM   #6
Bram
No worries, I'm sure we can manage without putting "snake" in the titles.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:48 PM   #7
Rich Z
Yeah, probably so, but certainly there must be other words that will trigger that error as well. I've contacted my programmer to see what he knows about it, but I believe he is quite busy with other clients upgrading them to the new version of vBulletin. He says the new version is basically all new code, so he has to rewrite a lot of stuff. This site is on the list for the upgrade as well, as is FaunaClassifieds (which will probably be a real bear to upgrade).

But in any event, I hope there is an easy fix for this. Might just be a server setting. That link you sent me was for a very old version, so I'm surprised this problem still exists in the much later versions of vBulletin. Which is what leads me to believe it may be a server setting involved...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google