CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Signature area use - specifically, dragon images

Old 03-26-2009, 12:31 PM   #91
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUN View Post
Nanci said 10% live outside of high speed access....so that is 28 million Americans. Yep - that isn't many potential users at all!

Maybe only 5% of YOUR sites' users are on DU is because they are so slow to load that so those potential viewers go to OTHER sites that do load quicker via their server? I'm not sure your quoted statistics are meaningful.
They actually weren't all websites I own nor were they all related to a specific subject. I did say I selected 10 randomly from many I monitor. Being that I am a designer/programmer, download speed is something that I do concern myself with by using proper coding, optimization, etc...So the dial-up users have nothing to (overly) fear over something I myself have done. My monitoring tracks every single user down to the fact I can tell how long a dial up user actually was on a given site, where they are from and what pages he or she were on for how long. So yes, even those that flash on for 1 second and leave again are tracked.

My point was that 5% (or 10% per Nanci's estimate) is no where near "large" in the entire scope of things. My statistics btw were worldwide, not restricted to the nation. Because one lives outside high speed access does not mean they want internet access in the first place...We are also assuming the entire nation (world?) wants internet access.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:33 PM   #92
snakewispera snr
I have frustrating experiences using any web site.... Things disappear, ads loom up, God, the list is endless.... LOL

Old 03-26-2009, 12:35 PM   #93
Nanci
What is user-friendly about having to read from the bottom up, and then having to scroll back down to the bottom of the page to find the icon to go to the next page? Tell me how much you'd enjoy reading a book if you had to start at the back, work to the front, and read from the bottom of the page up, one paragraph at a time. It's a stupid design.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:37 PM   #94
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic View Post
My point was that 5% (or 10% per Nanci's estimate)
My 10% was for the US only. Quoted from The Christian Science Monitor, which had the most recent data I could find, most of the rest being from 2002-2003 or so.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:42 PM   #95
snakewispera snr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
What is user-friendly about having to read from the bottom up, and then having to scroll back down to the bottom of the page to find the icon to go to the next page? Tell me how much you'd enjoy reading a book if you had to start at the back, work to the front, and read from the bottom of the page up, one paragraph at a time. It's a stupid design.
1 billion Chinese read backwards every day.....
If it came down to DYK on a social group or no DYK.... You'd manage, wouldn't you.....

Old 03-26-2009, 12:51 PM   #96
danielle
The Chinese read EVERYTHING this way- we Americans don't, lol!! Can that be changed on the social groups?

Old 03-26-2009, 12:54 PM   #97
KJUN
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakewispera snr View Post
1 billion Chinese read backwards every day.....
If it came down to DYK on a social group or no DYK.... You'd manage, wouldn't you.....
That assumes a ~77% literacy rate in China unless you are counting Chinese that aren't citizens of China.....and many of those may read the way we consider normal.

LOL.....

Old 03-26-2009, 12:57 PM   #98
snakewispera snr
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUN View Post
That assumes a ~77% literacy rate in China
Thats still a lot more than the users of DYK

Old 03-26-2009, 01:01 PM   #99
tricksterpup
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzgeek View Post
Never confuse a problem with an inconvenience. Many people give up on using a website when it's difficult/inconvenient, even though those who designed it thought that it would be "no problem".
Dale
This is very true, I have given up on certain other forums due to the fact that they are slow due to the large amount of posters.

And there are also others I do not go to as much due to the way the forum is set. I think vBulletin is the nicest of the forum setups.

As for DYK thread? I know some forums will just lock up a thread after 5000 post to it and then have a new one created in its stead. But seriously, if there is an issue with DYK thread, maybe its time to just retire it.
Seriously, how many people regularly use it? 10? 15? out of how many come to CS.com on a regular day.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:04 PM   #100
Nanci
Who said there was an issue with the DYK thread, other than some people seem vehemently opposed to it for no apparent reason.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google