CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Signature area use - specifically, dragon images

Old 03-26-2009, 09:28 AM   #71
LBoz
The social groups would be a great place for DYK with just few exceptions.

First of all, you can't quote anyone in there, which makes conversations difficult. There are fewer options such as uploading photos from one's pc, they have to be done from online hosting. You don't have the "40 post/page" option, which can really make it difficult to try to nagivate through tons of posts. There's also no "new posts" tag to take you back to where you left off at your last visit.

Ok, ok...enough with the negative waves, Moriarty. :P

Old 03-26-2009, 09:31 AM   #72
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakewispera snr View Post
Here's an idea to kick about.....
Why not move the DYK thread to the social groups.....
When the two groups I had were running most of the people on there used them exactly the same way as DYK....
That way it would free up the boards.....
You can also run C.S. side by side (I did) and have the boards and the social group up at the same time....
HORRIBLE IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Social groups are so difficult to read, backwards, that they are barely worth looking at. Just my opinion.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:34 AM   #73
danielle
Why not just find out how many people on here have dial-up instead? Even in rural areas many do now have the capability to switch over and in 5 years I would say the vast percentage of our country will have this access. Look at what is happening with TV signals...they are ALL going digital despite the fact that not everyone can afford to convert. There is no such thing as fair for all- decisions are made on the majority which will always ignore the minority period. I really don't see how the DYK thread is slowing down this whole site- it sure doesn't for me. Why not start a DYK 2 leaving the DYK thread, but closing it for new posts and deligating them to the DYK 2 thread?

Old 03-26-2009, 09:36 AM   #74
Nanci
But anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzgeek View Post
The number of posts in a particular thread won't significantly impact your pageload times, unless you're in that thread. And then, graphic images and hotlinked images (like the dragon eggs) will impact the pageload more than the thread posts themselves.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:38 AM   #75
Nanci
Why pick on DYK? Why not delete the nine billion redundant "My snake regurged" "My snake didn't poop" "My two snakes live together" "My snake only eats live" "My snake poops too much" "My snake laid eggs now what" "My snake poops on me" threads?

Old 03-26-2009, 09:39 AM   #76
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Why pick on DYK? Why not delete the nine billion redundant "My snake regurged" "My snake didn't poop" "My two snakes live together" "My snake only eats live" "My snake poops too much" "My snake laid eggs now what" "My snake poops on me" threads?

Good point!

Old 03-26-2009, 09:42 AM   #77
danielle
Being people don't both to use the search function that may not be a bad idea. Just make a sticky for those questions and delete the rest...in a month there will be a bunch more anyway,lol!

Old 03-26-2009, 10:08 AM   #78
jazzgeek
Quote:
But anyway...
Did you have a point to make, or do you just like to quote me? I'm flattered.

Dale

Old 03-26-2009, 10:12 AM   #79
Nanci
My point is the large number of posts on DYK isn't slowing down anybody's Interwebz experience except maybe the (what percent of the 5% of people, worldwide, that don't have broadband, that have electricity and a phone line and a computer, that subscribe to this site, that don't hate DYK) one person I described in parentheses. And for that person, the content probably makes the wait worth it!

Old 03-26-2009, 10:23 AM   #80
El Jefe
Quote:
HORRIBLE IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Social groups are so difficult to read, backwards, that they are barely worth looking at. Just my opinion.
Yeppers....

Although I don't visit DYK thread all that much...I shy away from the social groups for that exact reason.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google