CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Salmonella Poisoning

Old 01-19-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
NickP961
Salmonella Poisoning

Hello. I just recently got over a case of somewhat bad salmonella. We believe it came from a new crested gecko I received, because about a week to two weeks after I got him, I got what I thought was a severe stomache bug. Test results came back, and it's salmonella. I have a few questions; Do I need to do anything to the crested gecko? Could it transfer to my other snakes? Has anyone ever got this before?

We aren't positive it came from him, but I don't eat eggs, and meat rarely, and the doctor said a new reptile probably caused it. So thanks.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
Nanci
Well, it's probably much more likely you got it from food. I believe they can ID the salmonella to know for sure. It's found on fruits, veggies and lettuce, things like that, too.

You could have the gecko checked- but it's quite likely he _will_ have it. So the question is, and I don't know the answer, is it effectively treatable? I'll check in my parasite book...

Old 01-19-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
Nanci
No info there. I know I read a really good article last year when I was helping someone research test results. I think I need to be on a computer with access to academic articles, though. I'll look tomorrow.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #4
NickP961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
No info there. I know I read a really good article last year when I was helping someone research test results. I think I need to be on a computer with access to academic articles, though. I'll look tomorrow.
Alright! Thanks a bunch! Personally, I don't think it came from him, I think it was on something I ate. The doctors said they thought it was from mayo, eggs, or a reptile, so they don't know for sure. Thank you though, I appreciate it!

Old 01-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #5
Nanci
Well, you have to assume any reptile has it, and take appropriate protective measures, for yourself. Wash your hands after handling reptiles. Don't put them in your mouth. That being said, I kiss on my snakes and lizards all the time, and I've never gotten salmonella.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:49 PM   #6
NickP961
Quote:
Well, you have to assume any reptile has it, and take appropriate protective measures, for yourself. Wash your hands after handling reptiles. Don't put them in your mouth. That being said, I kiss on my snakes and lizards all the time, and I've never gotten salmonella.
Oh, I know. And I do assume that with all my reptiles, that they possibly have it. I use hand sanitizer before and then after handling I wash my hands EVERY time. I think everybody has kissed their reptiles at least once, but now I am going to be more careful.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:05 PM   #7
Nanci
I still think it's way, way more likely that you got it from food.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:41 PM   #8
NickP961
Quote:
I still think it's way, way more likely that you got it from food.
I 100% agree with you. By the way, thank you for answering my questions. But also ; Does it harm the reptile? Will it get transferred to my snakes? Should I worry?

Old 01-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #9
NickP961
I just mean if he does have it.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:46 PM   #10
kathylove
I have also read that tests can be performed to determine whether you and the reptile have the same strain or not. But they may be expensive - I don't know. It would be nice to know for sure, if it is affordable to find out.

Most reptiles are pretty resistant to showing symptoms - they seem to live with it pretty well, unless their immune system is compromised. Actually, healthy people seem to shrug it off most of the time, too, unless they either ingest A LOT at one time and become overwhelmed, or unless their immune system is compromised. But I understand that some strains are more virulent than others. If you are susceptible to infections for one reason or another, you may have to take more care than most. You might want to consider building up your immune system through diet and supplements, if it is low. Your doctor should be able to give you more info, although a holistic type doctor is more likely to be helpful than the usual docs.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google