CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Male on Hunger Strike!

Old 05-07-2014, 03:42 PM   #11
hypnoctopus
I would suggest another corn, but maybe a female because they don't usually go on hunger strikes. A king snake would be another option. They are usually overly enthusiastic feeders.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:35 PM   #12
Nanci
Florida kingsnake.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:49 PM   #13
kestreltheonly
Maybe up the temp just a little bit if he's staying in his hot hide all the time. And I'm sorry but my iPod wont let me on to the chat idk how to ask a question elsewhere but maybe someone can help me I've noticed a slightly whitish spot starting to appear on Kestrel my corn snake and then I notice more along her body. I will post a picture tomorrow but like its not bright white it's just her scales are starting to fade into white in little sections. She's a year old in August... Could this be a sign of 'calico' syndrome or piebaldism? If so, are there any other harmful side effects of this, and is there any way to stop it? I don't want her to lose her beautiful colors! She's such a gorgeous snake!!

Old 05-08-2014, 02:39 AM   #14
RedCloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnoctopus View Post
I would suggest another corn, but maybe a female because they don't usually go on hunger strikes. A king snake would be another option. They are usually overly enthusiastic feeders.
I'd love another corn, as they come in such nice morphs and have such even temperaments. Not really sure 'bout a female though cause of the hold egg laying thing :/ I've had female birds with egg binding and it's a real pain!

Old 05-08-2014, 02:52 AM   #15
RedCloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Florida kingsnake.
I was gonna get a king snake as a first snake but heard they were a bit flightly/nippy. I've not seen anyone near me selling Florida Kingsnakes though The place I got my corn from has a few california kings, including albinos, and banana kings. Not sure if theres much of a difference between them though. They also have some milksnakes as well.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:55 AM   #16
Nanci
There's a huge difference between Cali kings and Florida kings. Florda kings can be bitey and musky as young snakes, and can also go through hunger striking phases in their youth. Florida kings are gentle to handle, but will eat anything. I have never been bit by one aside from when I was rummaging around in the viv of one, in blue. I just got a little warning tap, which scared the bejesus out of me! I _love_ my FK, Janine. You can probably find them at a reptile show.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:17 PM   #17
RedCloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
There's a huge difference between Cali kings and Florida kings. Florda kings can be bitey and musky as young snakes, and can also go through hunger striking phases in their youth. Florida kings are gentle to handle, but will eat anything. I have never been bit by one aside from when I was rummaging around in the viv of one, in blue. I just got a little warning tap, which scared the bejesus out of me! I _love_ my FK, Janine. You can probably find them at a reptile show.
So my best chance is to get an adult Florida Kingsnake? Everyone is always recommending reptile shows lol But I've yet to see any near me >< I'd order one online, but the cost would be a fortune AND most places only sell hatchlings. I can't belive I'm considering another snake :P I mean....having one snake isn't THAT much different from having 2...? *cough* Right?

Anywho I'll be attempting another feeding with the little creep tomorrow. Hoping he eats. Ever since the regurg, I've been dusting his mice with Nutribac. He took one mouse with it fine, then went on hunger strike. Should I put nutribac on his mouse tomorrow?

Old 05-09-2014, 05:01 AM   #18
Nanci
I'd try him without. And I'd also try a smaller mouse, like a fuzzy or a hopper. And get it really hot, and even dry it with a blow-dryer.

I've got males here that have been on hunger strike for a month or two, though- it's that time of the year. None of them did it last year, but this year they are crazy!

Old 05-10-2014, 06:35 PM   #19
ashleynicole
get a king snake for refused food... they never skip a meal. lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Old 05-11-2014, 07:18 AM   #20
RedCloud
I tried to feed him today, he didn't take it This time I tried a hopper and I blow dried it + brained it. He pushed it around with his face a few times, but didn't eat it. I left him in the container for about 2hrs. He constantly paced around looking for a way out. I took some photos of him after. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399806972.415891.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  282.0 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399806983.765045.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  282.3 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399806998.317930.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  132.2 KB

He looks ok to me, and he's very active but then again I have 0 experience. He's missed 4 feeds already. I'm still looking for a scale, so I don't know his weight but I don't think he's lost any. Any opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
feeding problem, not eating, snake wont eat