CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Thaw time for mice

Old 04-04-2016, 08:19 PM   #1
dragonscrystal01
Question Thaw time for mice

With my little girl's feeding day approaching at the end of the week I wanted to make sure my ducks are in a row. What is the thawing time for pinkies in hot water? Ideally I would like an idea for all mice sizes so I can write it down in her care binder. I am trying to be as organized as possible. I know I have a few more days to research but I haven't found the info I am looking for online.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:41 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
Pinkies don't take long at all. Here's how I do it -

I start the day before I plan to feed. I place the frozen mouse in a ziplock baggie and fill it with "Cold Water."

I place the baggie in the refrigerator. It actually thaws over night, but stays cold and does not go bad.

Then a few minutes before I feed, I just stick the mouse in some warm water just to raise its temp to fool the snake into thinking it's alive. You don't want it to be Hot, but like "body heat warm."

Some people will take the frozen mouse, and just place it in Warm Tap water. (You don't need to boil it or microwave it, just hot from the tap). When the water is almost cool to the touch, the mouse will be thawed.

Actual thawing time is not long. A full grown mouse in warm water will be thawed in less than an hour, a pinkie will only take about 15 minutes.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:54 PM   #3
dragonscrystal01
Thanks. I was planning on doing just some warm tap water as my water runs fairly hot. I just want to make sure everything is all set for her first feeding here. I had read about the warm water being good for the mouse and for the snake but never saw anything about times.

Old 04-05-2016, 03:21 PM   #4
mishima25
Pinkies don't take long (about 1h) and adults about 2 hours or so. I let them thaw at room temperature for 2-3h before feeding to be sure they are fully defrosted at the center, and then take a small glass of hot tap water and plunge the mouse in while I go take out Naga.
Has worked well for me.

If you are in a hurry you might want to force thaw mice by plunging them into the hot tap water glass and leave them for 20-30 mins to defrost. Like Karl said.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:04 PM   #5
jessmarie
If you use too hot of water it will "cook" the pinks. I usually lay them out on a paper towel for about an hour and then dunk them in warm tap water immediately prior to feeding.

Old 04-08-2016, 04:36 PM   #6
dragonscrystal01

Feeding time went great. Thinking another feed on Wednesday.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Old 04-08-2016, 06:35 PM   #7
jagodzinski
Excellent! And very cute picture, by the way.

Old 04-08-2016, 06:37 PM   #8
dragonscrystal01

Better pic. I meant to add it too but got busy with kids and plotting my book.

Old 04-08-2016, 06:37 PM   #9
dragonscrystal01
Thanks jagodzinski. She's my baby just like my kids. I was so proud of her.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google