CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Snake Rack Shelf.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:59 AM   #1
raynefyre
Snake Rack Shelf.

I want to build a rack for 40 quart sterilite tubs, around 6-8 of them. (I'm expecting a lot of babies this year lol.) My question is can I find a bookshelf or something that fits these decently well on it or should I just build one myself? I have the means to build one, but I would rather just buy one and avoid the hassle if the price isn't too bad. I want the shelf to be roughly 27" wide, 18.5" deep, and 57" tall to hold everything.

If I build it myself, I figure it will take 2.5-3 sheets of wood to make it. At 30-40 bucks, depending what I use, each that's up to 120 dollars. So, any shelf that rounds out at about that much is good.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:22 PM   #2
Sweetseraph
If you find a bookshelf wider than 12", let me know! LOL I checked all my local places and standard bookshelves are 11 3/4" wide. Also, the height of each space was all wrong. I did find some shelves meant for storage in your garage or basement that would fit wide and deep, but ran into the same height issue. With a bookshelf you could probably add shelves in between the others to fix height issues, but the shelves were made out of metal or plastic and I don't know how you'd add shelves to such materials.

At the end of the day, I understood why everyone builds 'em themselves....

Old 05-05-2010, 07:05 PM   #3
raynefyre
Lol. Yeah I'm thinking the same thing too. The shop I work at has leftover 3/4 ply and osb from our last show they are going to throw away so I asked if I could have it. They said no problem so I'm cutting the pieces tomorrow probably.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:07 PM   #4
Marica
You may have more luck looking for a wardrobe-type unit. However, most of those are only half shelving and would likely require enough modification that you may as well make your own. They also usually run around $100-200 for cheap units.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:04 PM   #5
Dreamsnake
My snake is in a bookshelf that has removable shelves. We removed one shelf to fit the tank, there was already a hole in the back for a printer cable. It is really old and I've never seen another like it.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:59 PM   #6
sa_grubb
Smile bookshelf for rack

they have these at walmart for 25 dollars. they also sell pre-cut shelves at home depot that fit these perfect for extra shelves. you can take all shelves out and space them how you want it.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:01 PM   #7
azhketh
Not quite your dimensions, but here's a plan to a 7 tub rack, with the total cost about $225 including heat and tubs according to the author. I've been debating building one myself. I like the look of 20gal longs, but they're expensive, take up too much space, and it's hard to get in to clean or handle the snakes.

Looks like a pretty easy plan to follow.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:02 PM   #8
azhketh
Quote:
Originally Posted by azhketh View Post
Not quite your dimensions, but here's a plan to a 7 tub rack, with the total cost about $225 including heat and tubs according to the author. I've been debating building one myself. I like the look of 20gal longs, but they're expensive, take up too much space, and it's hard to get in to clean or handle the snakes.

Looks like a pretty easy plan to follow.
Okay, I forgot to put the url, but in my defense I've been up since 6am and I need a nap. :P

http://www.blueappleherps.com/page13...structions.pdf

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google