CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

Hatchling Tank Size

Old 07-16-2010, 01:45 PM   #1
DanaP
Question Hatchling Tank Size

I'll be getting a hatchling (hopefully a caramel or abbott) on August 15 from Scott Smith's All Animal Expo in Illinois http://www.allanimalexpo.com/

I already have a 10 gallon aquarium, that did at once hold fish. Of course I will be getting a screen and screen clips. Is a 10 gallon with 2 hides enough for a hatchling?

Old 07-16-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
wstphal
More than enough space, you might actually want to put more hides in that 10G if a hatchling is going to live in it. Hides can be really cheap. For example, cut a TP tube in half the long way. Instantly you have two half-log hides the right size for babies.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:55 PM   #3
DanaP
That's a great idea! Thank you

Old 07-16-2010, 02:34 PM   #4
DanaP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wstphal View Post
More than enough space, you might actually want to put more hides in that 10G if a hatchling is going to live in it. Hides can be really cheap. For example, cut a TP tube in half the long way. Instantly you have two half-log hides the right size for babies.

Do you have any other creative ideas? I've been going to thrift stores looking for interesting water dishes/hides/props for photos.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:23 PM   #5
wstphal
Oh yea! Cheap fabric flowers make hides, decorations, etc. Plastic coffee cans (for bigger snakes). Tupperware. Flower pots -- use a Dremel to enlarge the drain hole, turn upside down & voila!. The round paper containers real oatmeal comes in (for bigger snakes).

Cheap lead free food bowls = water bowls, get at the dollar store, Walmart, etc.

Sculpey clay can be used to make things. Hardwood branches from nature can be soaked & baked to kill everything then used as climbing toys.

Shall I go on?

Old 07-16-2010, 03:28 PM   #6
DanaP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wstphal View Post

Sculpey clay can be used to make things. Hardwood branches from nature can be soaked & baked to kill everything then used as climbing toys.

Shall I go on?

You could lol. I'm a college student and the less expensive things are the better. But I also want to make sure that the items are safe for the animal.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:50 PM   #7
Crimson.Dawn
I buy the little cat food bowls that have are hollow on the underside, like this, http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84461 , and use a dremmel to make a hole. then its a water bowl and a hide and i usely get them at the dollar store, even better

Old 07-16-2010, 03:57 PM   #8
DanaP
Good idea!

Old 07-16-2010, 05:03 PM   #9
wstphal
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaP View Post
You could lol. I'm a college student and the less expensive things are the better. But I also want to make sure that the items are safe for the animal.
I am pretty careful. I didn't put down anything I wouldn't use.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:03 PM   #10
DanaP
Thank you

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
abbott, caramel, fish, hatchling