CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Not a fan of Faunariums or anything as such

Old 09-02-2015, 07:46 PM   #1
SebastianSalazar
Not a fan of Faunariums or anything as such

Hello

Im totally new with snakes meaning that even tho ive never own one ive always wanted it an ive researched about them enough to decide that im going for a corn snake. The thing is that in my experience with reptiles, ive always managed with the kind herps that like it the bigger the better (as iguanas and chameleons) and it feels very weird to me to "stack" my pets in boxes as i always like to make it feel like home for them. I was wondering if i could use one of these instead or something like it for a hatchling.
http://www.lllreptile.com/products/4...lass-terrarium

Thank you so much and sorry for my english.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:52 AM   #2
DollysMom
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your choice of a corn snake!

What you have pictured is not the best choice for housing a corn snake. Something approximately 75 centimeters long, 30 centimeters wide, and 30 centimeters tall, made of glass, like a fish tank with a secure screen lid, would be a better choice. It would be difficult to set up proper under tank heating in what you have pictured because you need enough floor space to have a warm end and a cool end. I'm not sure what is available where you live, but something like I have described could house most corn snakes for their entire lives.

Many here use something like I just described and make the tank very pretty with hides, water bowl, silk or plastic plants or vines, sticks to climb, and a snake safe substrate.

Best wishes. Keep asking questions and you will get more answers and ideas.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:12 AM   #3
Dahliasmom2012
I have those for my tree frogs, my crickets escape constantly from it, a baby corn snake should be able to as well.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:08 AM   #4
SebastianSalazar
Thank you so much for your answers Dahliasmom2012 and DollysMom, I will then look for another aquarium, the thing is that this one was so cool tho lol. I'll be using aspen as substrate and i will look for as many caves to make Rumpelstilsnkin house his dream house.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:54 AM   #5
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebastianSalazar View Post
Thank you so much for your answers Dahliasmom2012 and DollysMom, I will then look for another aquarium, the thing is that this one was so cool tho lol. I'll be using aspen as substrate and i will look for as many caves to make Rumpelstilsnkin house his dream house.
That sounds great. Rumplestilskin is a cute name.

I use aspen and my snake loves it.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:48 AM   #6
mishima25
Congrats for your step toward a snake. They are wonderful animals.

I think the worst point in a small glass faunarium is it's very expensive and your snake will need a bigger one some time, so as hatchlings people usually use RUB (or transparent plastic boxes with lid), plastic shoe boxes or the plastic faunariums by Exo Terra, ZooMed, or whatever you have in your contry.
For an adult, what DollysMom said is the path to go.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
habitat, hatchling