CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

OMG................

Old 07-22-2002, 01:39 AM   #1
SnakesRus007
Lightbulb OMG................

whoa i just got the biggest surprise of my life omg omg the male i have isnt reallly a male the guy that told me it was a male probally didnt know what he was doin or something !!!!!!!!!!!! omg omg the reasont why my bigger snake wasnt eating iiisss.................................... omg it jussed laid EGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im exited i dont know what to do i bought her like 2 months ago omg omg i dont know theres only one egg but its an oval shape ??? i felt more lumps in her i fdont know what to do i dont think theres a baby in it cause ive seen all the other eggs in a spere shape ima go crazy this is crazy i was tottaly not prepred for this.......................... what to do what to do i need advice on what to do please anyone it will be appretiated

Old 07-22-2002, 02:20 AM   #2
HomeBreeder
woot!

Wow, congrats to the potential "father"! If you don't have The Corn Snake Manual or other similar referenceyou need to get searching - the information is available online if you look.

A few things I can mention that you probably already know: the eggs need high humidity, but not so high that they drown or get moldy. The eggs need to be kept warm! Nobody knows really, but it's probable that corn snake sex is determined in the first 2-5 days of incubation based on environmental conditions. Also, the eggs must remain oriented, so before you move them, if possible, put a little mark on the "top" with a sharpie.

The preferred incubation substrate is vermiculite. The eggs should be about half-burried in the substrate to help them stay moist, while ensuring they can also breathe ok.

Good Luck, 007!
^Curtis

Old 07-22-2002, 02:24 AM   #3
SnakesRus007
whoa

thanks thanks the temp in the tank is 79 degreez right now............. how bout the Oval shape that normal ?????

2 EGGS !!!!!!?????

Old 07-22-2002, 06:14 AM   #4
CornCrazy
Oval eggs are normal...

I would leave her alone for about 24 hours after she first started laying, then gently remove the eggs and incubate them. Homebreeder already covered how to incubate them. Vermiculite is hard to find where I live...if you can't find it, then sphagnum moss also works well. That's what mine are incubating in. Congratulations! I know exactly how you feel...I have eggs for the first time, too (2 clutches)!

Old 07-22-2002, 09:58 AM   #5
Khaman
I know this may sound dumb but you never said if you have been housing it with a real male snake because if not those eggs are not furtile.

Old 07-22-2002, 10:34 AM   #6
carol
If he only got the snake two months ago, it could have been fertilized before he bought it. I just hope she is big enough to handle eggs. Good Luck!

Old 07-22-2002, 11:25 AM   #7
NUtMEg21
~!*!~ ~!*!~ its ok

Old 07-22-2002, 01:42 PM   #8
SnakesRus007
:).............

i am pumped and exited still i woke up and thought it was a dream until i saw them again this morning she laid a couple more in the nigh im really exited i never thought this would happen to me

Old 07-22-2002, 01:43 PM   #9
SnakesRus007
yellow

one of the eggs came out yellow though is that normal ??
uim goin to measure her and tell you guys her measurements today ..............

Old 07-22-2002, 03:41 PM   #10
Darin Chappell
If one of the eggs is noticeable yellower than the others, there is good news and bad news. The bad news is that the yellow one is most likely infertile. The good news is that the others are probably fine! If they are all the same color, it's difficult for first timers to know what is what, but you've got contrast enough to see for yourself how fertile and infertile eggs look.

I don't think there is any reliable proof about the sex of corn hatchlings being determined by their environment while in the egg. If that were the case, I don't think Kathy Love, Rich Z. and others would be pulling their hair out and charging extra for lone females as they find themselves having to do. I keep all of my eggs in the same incubator at the same temperature. Im my multiple clutches of eggs, I've had a fairly normal distribution of males and females.

Darin

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google