CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Sphagnum moss

Old 12-27-2002, 04:33 PM   #1
klvan
Sphagnum moss

When using sphagnum moss for shedding process, do you
need to process it in any way before using it? i.e.
boil, bake, etc. Our baby corn is mite free and wants to stay that way!

Old 12-27-2002, 09:11 PM   #2
Iris
I don't know the first thing about sphagnum moss, but I've found crumpled wet paper towels and paper work extremely well.

Old 12-27-2002, 10:57 PM   #3
Gregg
First: Make absolutely sure your using Long-Fiber sphagnum moss and not sphagnum peat moss. There is a big difference. It is recommended that you use a dust mask when dealing with long-fiber sphagnum, since it can contain bacteria harmful to humans.

My personal choice is Mosser-Lee, since it claims to be bacteria free. Here's their website:

http://www.gardeningcatalog.com/soil...ionerspeat.htm

Old 12-27-2002, 11:13 PM   #4
bmm
I'm

With Iris...I use wet paper towel. It works well and is very cheap. But I have nothing against real moss. But paper towel is easier for me and the snakes dont seem to mind.

bmm

Old 01-03-2003, 05:37 AM   #5
Rachel
I use reindeer moss for my leos (I bathe my corns and mist tanks at shedding time). The moss I use for the gekkos is stuff I collect from outside so I give it a blast in the micro first to kill any bugs etc. Alternatively if you buy the stuff from a garden center it should be clean.

Old 05-12-2015, 03:38 AM   #6
KayEhm
You don't have to go overboard. Sphagnum moss is inherently moist so just give it a good spray and enjoy your purchase haha

Old 05-12-2015, 01:49 PM   #7
DollysMom
I bought a box of Zoo Med sphagnum. It is dry. You can soak it and wring it out for the proper moisture. You can also wash and reuse it. The instructions are on the box. A little goes a long way.

Edit: I didn't see when I posted that this was such an old thread! This has probably been covered several times over since this was started.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:45 PM   #8
IrishInIsengard
ZOMBIE THREAD!!! brains.....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google