• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Damn mice!

Rich Z

Administrator
Staff member
Checked the standby generator today and noticed that the rodent poison we typically keep in it has been eaten. Then I noticed what looked like rodent droppings under the edge of the electrical control box. A long while back we had rodents get into it and chew up the wiring, which cost quite a bit to get fixed, and I had thought I had sealed up the entranceway the mouse or mice used to get in there. Well, looking harder, I saw that there was a good sized hole underneath the box that a mouse could certainly get into. So I unscrewed the lid and looked inside. Yep. Nice little mouse nest in there, and wires all chewed to hell and gone. Dammit. Ordinarily I would try to fix something like this myself, but the geniuses that designed that control box used all white wires for EVERY connection. So with most of the wires gone from being eaten by the mouse, figuring out where they go would be a real chore. I've read schematics before, of course, but honestly, I'm not really sure which wires might actually be hot nor how to actually disconnect the thing from external power. So time to call in professionals. Which I don't imagine is going to be any cheaper than the last time this happened.

I'm going to have to put some sort of screening around the bottom of the entire generator so nothing can get up in there again. Damned varmints. I was starting to go a little soft on shooting the squirrels around here, but hell with that. Death to all rodents, no matter WHAT kind. :uzi:

I'm going to have to put some sort of screening around the bottom of the entire generator so nothing can get up in there again. Damned varmints. I was starting to go a little soft on shooting the squirrels around here, but hell with that. Death to all rodents, no matter WHAT kind. :uzi:

HIGH !!! voltage/ampere screening.

Muwahahahahah.

Or a little moat...eeelectrified.....heheheheh...

Well, here's the mouse habitat....

generator_21.jpg

I guess that looks REAL attractive to rodents. Glad we don't have our vehicles still living outside or I am certain they would have their wiring chewed up too. That was THE reason I felt I had to have the garage built. One year we had all the vehicles and this generator just torn the hell up from rodents chewing the wires. Cost me a LOT of money getting the damages repaired.

Anyway, here's the chewed up wiring near the comfy little nest he or she built.

generator_22.jpg

generator_23.jpg

Notice the red circle in the last pic. I didn't notice that when looking at the mess in person.

generator_24.jpg

But apparently the mouse got his or her just rewards anyway. Damn shame he didn't kick the bucket BEFORE chewing up all that wiring. I should put his carcass out of there and stomp on it anyway, just for good measure.

I got lucky and managed to snaptrap a feeder mouse that got loose in my car yesterday before he chewed my wiring to hell.

Hope you can get the wiring to the generator fixed!

Back